Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 9: "Broken Age"

Wonderful episode. imagine what we would have missed had we not gotten this documary, people are still like yeah what if those money was spend on the game. I personally wouldn have it any other way.

2D player production, should be high on the list to hire when they are done with this, they do such amazing work. Worth every single cent

Really sad about Ron leaving. hopefully he will find a way to make more adventure games. Like the dream scenario would be that Doublefine somehow gets the IP or RON so that he would maybe work with Double Fine on a monkey island. I still have this idea in my head, that a new Monkey Island game by Ron Gilbert on Kickstarter, could shatter all previous records.

Cannot wait to play this game :D it just keeps looking better and better. Its funny to think back when we where kids. And 3D was the new hotness, 2d was old and gone, 3D was the future. And yet here we are, 2D or well 2.5D but it just looks amazing, there is so much personality in these characters and backgrounds. You just dont see this in 3D games.

Tim sure looks tense at the the end of the trailer, to hear if people was gonna booo or just be silent, cant say i blame him. It must have been awesome, to get confirmation that people like what they are seeing.

At least Ron is still gonna play test and give feedback. Im sure the game will come out much stronger, its definitely worth it to value his impressions.

Not sure how to feel about Ron Gilbert leaving Double Fine. But if he wants to leave that's his decision. He'll always have my respect for the games he has created. You go, Ron!

Glad to see the game coming along nicely. Really looking forward to play it when it's done. :)

Man, every time I hear that Peter McConnell score from the trailer it just gets better and better. It actually elicits chills, which isn't easy to do to a jaded curmudgeon such as me. Can't wait for the game soundtrack.

Man, every time I hear that Peter McConnell score from the trailer it just gets better and better. It actually elicits chills, which isn't easy to do to a jaded curmudgeon such as me. Can't wait for the game soundtrack.

I really hope that music is in the game and more like that, else they gotta release that music. Its really that amazing!. it just fits.

The part where the trailer ends and you see the anxiety on Tim's face, and then the roaring applause was magical.

Quoted For Truth

Great episode!

And now I'm curious to see what games JP and Brandon left to work on. Could it be Spacebase and Hack & Slash? :)

Seeing Tim's face before everyone started cheering was brilliant. I was there and loved every second of the trailer and so did everyone around me. Thanks for another amazing episode!

The part where the trailer ends and you see the anxiety on Tim's face, and then the roaring applause was magical.

Absolutely, I started welling up, it was quite brilliant! Nice job 2PP!

Watching these documentary episodes makes me a little sad for some reason. Don't get me wrong, they're brilliant and compelling. I love them.

But in a way, I feel a little empty wishing that I could hang out and spend time with all the people in the videos and at DF. When each video ends it's like saying goodbye to a good friend.

I know that feeling. What a bunch of cool folks.

is the music used in the opening and ending credits of the documentary, part of the games soundtrack? or is it a song by an artist? if anyone has any information on the credits music. please. let me know, its great. i love it.

is the music used in the opening and ending credits of the documentary, part of the games soundtrack? or is it a song by an artist? if anyone has any information on the credits music. please. let me know, its great. i love it.
You can grab it here.

I think Ron giving three pages of criticisms isn't intended as a slight; the whole point of playtesting is to see what's not working. If there wasn't anything Ron could say to do, it'd be time to ship.

Brandon Dillon is off of the project eh? Here's hoping they've green-lit Hack 'n Slash!
If only.... On a related serious note, is another programming joining or has enough programming been done that two programmers can manage now?

Hey, what's up? This episode came around with such a unfamiliar lightness. Everyone, except Ron :o), seems to be happy in this one. I had to eat some blueberry cake. I had to laugh when the sound guy (sorry, forgot your name and can't access the video right now, Brian Min?) was deciding not to change the sound, a) right decision b) i know this feeling. :o) JP moving his box with bananas around reminded me of badly designed puzzles, like when they include Sokoban, Sudoku, ... stuff into adventures, somehow i missed a monkey following him or swinging by and trying to snap one.

On the other side the episode wasn't this interesting. With the stuff known from the forum already it more felt like a nice summing up but without some real news or some interesting details about certain aspects and i missed some drama. But it featured a little bit of Ron Gilbert.

As this one also was about the name, i still don't like Broken Age, my genetic structure revolts against this one. Small Offerings sounds more interesting and unique but, dunno, i feel that somehow somewhere there also exists a better one. It might be good enough though. Hmm, maybe not. Let's pick up a flower, it's good enough, it's not good enough, it's good enough, it's ...

Anyway, thanks for another episode.

Had to watch this before I headed to work!

Can't wait to play the game, looks different but very good, which is exactly what I wished for.

I'm getting drawn in by the sound and music - hoping for a soundtrack to be available when the game is released. Awesome work!

very good episode, but the GDC bit was truly magical... that's up there with the Peter Chan scenes in "Walking Around in Our Drawings", just so very well done, 2PP.

And to me, the (great) documentary soundtrack is already part of the game itself, it's gonna feel strange not to hear this music in the game. but well, what Peter McConnell & team did here might even be better.

Curious as to the nature of the Phil Fish nod at the end of the episode.

They needed to Chekhov's-gun him into the show to get ready for when he returns in later episodes as the main antagonist of the series, wherein he will use his evil French Canadian game design skills to try and take over Double Fine for his own nefarious purposes.

(I have been watching way too many serialized television shows recently.)

I'm literally in tears of pure joy after the trailer revealing at the GDC part. Thank you everyone at 2PP for capturing this exciting and wonderful moment so well for us.

Oh dear Majus. Anyone remember when this popped up on da internets?

Feels like ten years ago.. Maybe it actually was, since flash was still the shit.

And look at him now. All grown up.

*tears*

Y'know contrary to popular belief, Phil Fish isn't exactly the ubervillain people make him out to be. Yes, he sometimes says stuff just to get a reaction. Yes, he has a blunt way about him that I understand comes off as really abrasive. But he's basically just a guy who made a successful game and isn't very good at dealing with all the public consequences of that. As I understand it, he's a reasonably good friend of the studio, and so that might explain why he was hanging around.

For all I understand that people might have a negative reaction to him (hey, I don't hate the guy but there are times when I wish he'd... not talk), I do think it's pretty tiresome when people feel the need to post negative comments just because he's on screen.

Anyway, I thought this was a good episode, felt like a good release of tension. Looking forward to seeing how the next episodes are handled, when it really gets into the grind of producing content for the game and there's less publicity to distract things.

I don't think it's reasonable to dislike Phil Fish - he suffers from the twin defects of lacking an internal censor and being prone to hyperbole, but to paraphrase Bertie Wooster, [del]Anatole[/del] Fish is French, and therefore excitable.

On the other hand, Fez was one of the best games of last year, and like Limbo I think it reached an extremely rare height in overall aesthetic value. I think that's one of the main, and perhaps the most accessible way to show games have a lot of promise and should be taken seriously.

I don't think it's reasonable to dislike Phil Fish - he suffers from the twin defects of lacking an internal censor and being prone to hyperbole, but to paraphrase Bertie Wooster, [del]Anatole[/del] Fish is French, and therefore excitable.

On the other hand, Fez was one of the best games of last year, and like Limbo I think it reached an extremely rare height in overall aesthetic value. I think that's one of the main, and perhaps the most accessible, way to show games have a lot of promise and should be taken seriously.

I loved Fez, ate the whole thing up. I even was the first to figure one of the things out (Or at least the first one to post about it on the internet). So perhaps that's why I'm more willing than many to give him the benefit of the doubt.

But I get why some people who aren't so invested might just write him off. What you said is exactly right, he just doesn't have that internal censor, and that's gonna make him sound bad, a lot of the time.

Sign in to follow this