Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 9: "Broken Age"

Sweet episode. Thanks 2PP. Good to see Peter McConnell in action. Brian was cool (and right) sticking to his guns.

Add an additional teaspoon of introversion to Ron and he'll implode. True story.

Amazing production. I got a bit choked up at the end when the crowed cheered the teaser and the look of relief and joy on Tim's face.

Great episode all around. I'm repeating what others have said, but it is worth repeating: I would consider backing this project as a ridiculously good decision just for the documentary alone (and the backer shirt of course ... man, I love that shirt). I'm still looking forward to the game, very much so, but by now I consider that the icing on a already great cake.

Tim standing by himself in front of those huge Moscone screens and watching the trailer was a great shot. Simple but very powerful. The editing on the final showing of the trailer was amazing; you can peel the tension and delight from the screen leading up to the well timed big release of applause and that smile appearing on Tim's face. Most excellent!

As always, thank you DF for allowing us to be with you through all this. And thank you 2PP for capturing it all in such a way that we as backers can really feel to be a part of it (and I think you're getting even better at it with each episode).

I really enjoy these episodes, but there's a reoccurring issue that drives me insane.

Please mic the interviewer. Subtitling what they say makes due (though many times you've missed subtitles, and I have to go back, crank the volume to hear it, then crank it back down) but honestly, if you're going to use the questions in the show, you should record them better. As a sound guy, this drives me nuts. You've got a high quality production going, and it makes these kinds of errors that more glaring.

It's not an error.

Not to be glib, but, is it your intention to have the viewer have a hard time hearing the interviewer?

Generally you only ask the questions to kind of guide what's being talked about so you can cover important topics. So nine times out of ten you don't need to know a question was even asked to bring up the subject. Sometimes it's unavoidable, though, and so the subtitles are there to give you the context.

So this isn't supposed to be Frost/Nixon or anything, the documentarians are just trying to enable the Broken Age staff to speak freely about the process.

These episodes are so awesome I almost hate the fact that at some point you WILL HAVE FINISHED the game and there will be no more episodes... I guess that's just life ;)

Did Tim trade beards with Ron? Was that a farewell gift? I'm positive the last time I've seen those two Tim was the hideous bearded man and Ron was clean shaven :) I'll miss Ron but I guess he just had to roll - when he's on the road - he's indestructible ;)

I believe that Grim Fandango was actually THE greatest name given in all history of videogame name giving so it's not possible to ever top that. But I like Broken Age a lot. Not for the name itself but for how it really totally sits with the logo illuminating from the 'O' (bagel filter?). And that trailer is just soooooooo freakin' sweeeeeeet. (Scene with Tim looking at the trailer at GDC is more epic than the elves coming to rescue Helm's Deep in LOTR!!)

Yes, I agree: Tim should've punched Phil in the kisser after giving him a brief wry look - that would've been funny! :D

And finally, the first three notes from your trailer tune (which kicks ass) totally sounds like this:

I almost DIED laughing :D

do you guys read all the comments here? :>

cheers, you're awesome!

Yeah it will be a shame when the games finally released as these videos will stop. Do another kickstarter... may it never end :)

Another great video.. great job all.

I really enjoy these episodes, but there's a reoccurring issue that drives me insane.

Please mic the interviewer. Subtitling what they say makes due (though many times you've missed subtitles, and I have to go back, crank the volume to hear it, then crank it back down) but honestly, if you're going to use the questions in the show, you should record them better. As a sound guy, this drives me nuts. You've got a high quality production going, and it makes these kinds of errors that more glaring.

It's not an error.

Not to be glib, but, is it your intention to have the viewer have a hard time hearing the interviewer?

We're not interested in making the interviewer a part of the documentary. If there is a question or statement from the interviewer that is deemed important enough to be included in the edit we'll add a subtle for it. We strongly oppose the use of any personalities representing 2pp in our documentary projects. The doc is about Double Fine, first and formost.

Maybe you can compromise by including the questions you ask in the show notes in the first post. That way your questions aren't really part of the documentary but people like toekneebullard can still know what they are.

Damn it, that was a really emotional rollercoaster. Great job, everyone. Now let me just drown in a pool of my tears.

EDIT: Removing inappropriate comment. -Chris

This video seemed to be missing a bunch of stuff towards the end - I didn't see the bouncer guy from GDC, Greg looking after a buffet, or Tim running down to his basement to grab his box of jokes.

Seriously though, fantastic episode! I'm very much looking forward to rewatching them all again :D

I feel honoured to be a part of this with DF, 2PP and the rest of the backing community <3

At the end when everyone at GDC was cheering after the trailer it just made me giddy with excitement! It seemed like a very rewarding moment for Tim and all the DF people.

Just watched it for a second time. Another fantastic episode. So excited. Can't communicate. Sentence fragment. Consider revising.

Awesome! Each episode keeps getting better!

And you know what.. I think Broken Age is the best possible name for it. Pretty soon, people won't remember calling it anything else! That title art is beautiful.

Also, lookin' good, Tim!

A really, really great episode. Got me right back into the project again on an emotional level, something I somewhat lost over the last months. Great work 2PP and Double Fine!

Another great job 2PP, great episode to chill to after finishing uni FOREVER! :D

Will we see the whole feedback session with Ron in a Side Quest? Interested to hear the God Father of Adventure Games' full, uncut thoughts! Though there may be a chance of spoliers :/

It's not an error.

We're not interested in making the interviewer a part of the documentary. If there is a question or statement from the interviewer that is deemed important enough to be included in the edit we'll add a subtle for it. We strongly oppose the use of any personalities representing 2pp in our documentary projects. The doc is about Double Fine, first and formost.

Maybe you can compromise by including the questions you ask in the show notes in the first post. That way your questions aren't really part of the documentary but people like toekneebullard can still know what they are.

There's nothing to compromise. They aren't supposed to be a part of the doc, and is reading one or two subtitles in a 45 minute episode really that much of a chore? Or you lazy or blind?

Curious as to the nature of the Phil Fish nod at the end of the episode.

Phil was a presenter at the GDC award ceremony, like Tim was. My guess is that 2PP saw an interaction, thought it added flavour to the episode, and chose to include it. I agree with them; regardless of how it was intended, Phil certainly played to his stereotype, and I got a chuckle out of it.

Also, I strongly suspect that Phil did, in fact, have make-up before going on stage :)

Not to forget: It was a nice callback to the funny after credits of Episode 7 where Tim gave his finest Phil Fish impression.

Loved the episode, especially when Tim was trying names - Young Mon-sters in that 8bit font - "Laziest box art ever! Erm...it's hyphenated...ahh f*ck it!"

Was there a reason why the official name reveal at the PAX East panel was not included (or anything at all from PAX for that matter)? 2PP were filming it (I was there). Did it not come out very well, or did it not really fit well with the bigger reveal being GDC?

Another great episode, thank you so much.

Take your time, it's done when it's done.

It's not an error.

You'll only hear the interviewer asking the questions if they are 'presenting' the programme, like Brian Cox or Richard Dawkins, who will also add narration. But when there is no obvious presenter or narrator, such as with DFA, then the interviewer(s) remain basically anonymous. And subtitling the rare occasions when you might want to hear what they have to say is pretty standard practice for these kind of interview-based documentaries.

This documentary has been excellent so far. I originally felt slightly (only slightly) apprehensive about paying $10 for a point-and-click adventure game, but I wish I could go back in time and pay lots more now (before anyone tells me, I know of the tip jar and have indeed dumped some change into it).

The documentary series alone is worth the money I paid; the game will be phenomenal (I truly believe that this project has the potential to be greater than even the likes of Grim Fandango), and the t-shirt and other swag are just icing on the cake.

2PP: Thank you for your hard work and dedication. This has been the best look into the world of games development that I have ever seen, and I truly appreciate the opportunity.

Double Fine: Just keep doing what you're doing, guys. The game looks absolutely beautiful, and in each episode it looks more and more polished (and I get more and more excited to finally play it).

I will end this post with this: I got chills *all* the way up my spine during the scene of Tim backstage while the trailer played. At first, silence - then, roaring applause. I think it's awesome that a hand-painted point-and-click adventure in 2013 can get just as much attention as some of the so-called "triple-A" titles.

Tim's smile as the crowd began cheering was chill-inducing, my eyes were teary! :) Up there with the moment in the Minecraft documentary moment where Minecraft is officially released. Epic episode, favorite since the the one at Peter Chan's house.

Sign in to follow this