Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 9: "Broken Age"

That moment with Tim standing behind the curtain and waiting for a reaction by the audience, the concerned look on his face, and then his smile as the audience started cheering … that was pure gold. I had to rewatch that scene over and over again.

While I was watching the episode, right up until 40 minutes or so, I was thinking "Man, they spent a lot of time talking about this trailer/PR stuff", but then I saw the actual trailer being shown and the reactions of the team... May be my favorite scene of the documentary so far. It all suddenly made sense. Brilliantly shot, brilliantly edited, brilliant everything. Congratulations, 2PP. And Broken Age team, of course!

The ending of the episode is brilliant! The moment when Tim stands behind the curtain and then you heard the applause... amazing.

Great stuff, I'm really pleased the trailer got such a fantastic and well deserved reception.

Hi Double Fine

I was just watching (for the second time) this episode. When an idea struck me, why is it that Double fine focuses so hugely on printed media versus other media online? You provided game informaer a full interview and play through which has (based of wiki) roughly 8 million readership per month however their online contribution is far less. Based off these numbers Online media has an on-par or greater number of viewers, for example the Yoggcast receives on average over 500,000 views per video for a new game in the first two weeks. It feels as though Double Fine have/are missing a great promotion opportunity by only focusing on traditional media.

I would hate to see the number of sales hindered by the focus on traditional media.

Hi Double Fine

I was just watching (for the second time) this episode. When an idea struck me, why is it that Double fine focuses so hugely on printed media versus other media online? You provided game informaer a full interview and play through which has (based of wiki) roughly 8 million readership per month however their online contribution is far less. Based off these numbers Online media has an on-par or greater number of viewers, for example the Yoggcast receives on average over 500,000 views per video for a new game in the first two weeks. It feels as though Double Fine have/are missing a great promotion opportunity by only focusing on traditional media.

I would hate to see the number of sales hindered by the focus on traditional media.

I wouldn't say that this is the case; if You head over to Game Trailers and Game Spot there's a lot of Double Fine exposure.

That Game Informer came to visit, (I think,) is a statement on how special this game is, they seem to pry themselves in to do a lot of "first previews", I'm from Norway so I didn't really care for Game Informer, but I bought an iPad copy because of the GTA V exclusive. And I think that's the kind of press that is OK for something that isn't coning to be released in the next few weeks.

I do not doubt that DF will do more press online when they are closing in on the release date. So don't worry :)

I just wanted to ask a quick question while I'm in here:

Is the Documentary Production Status thread not going to be updated anymore, or did it move to some other place perhaps?

Thanks

Hi Double Fine

I don't think that's quite the case!

It's not a matter of focusing on one kind of outlet over another. Game Informer is a massive gaming publication no matter how you slice it--there are very few other individual outlets that have the amount of reach they do, online or offline. It's of course the case that the total online audience is bigger than any one magazine, as you point out, but you can only do your "first public reveal" once, and in that particular case, we decided to go with Game Informer. That doesn't mean we won't be doing PLENTY of online publicity down the line.

Also the bigger Game Informer articles usually go online a short while after the print issue, so in case of a preview like this it's not really necessary to fire on all cylinders right away (after all they still have to get some sales on the magazine).

It struck me how damn handsome Tim looks in this episode. I'm not saying that to kiss up (what would be in that for me?), just as a casual observation. He probably lost some weight, but also he looked more alive and "there"/present.

To be frank I don't really dig the way BA looks. It looks like a brand of generic mainstream metro-cute three to five years too late.

That said, I've learned to suspend final judgement to when I can actually experience finished products, but again then it's too late to do anything about...

Ron leaving... Pretty predictable in my eyes. He was always kind of a lone wolf and after The Cave performed less than satisfactory sales wise, he probably feels he has to.

I'd still LOVE to see a real adventure game collaboration between Ron and Tim though.

To be frank I don't really dig the way BA looks, it looks like a brand of generic mainstream metro-cute three to five years too late.

That said, I've learned to suspend judgement to when I can actually experience finished products, but again then it's too late to do anything about...

You're entitled not to like the look of course... but I am struggling to think of something in the 'mainstream' (or even otherwise) that looks even remotely like Broken Age, especially 3-5 years ago and especially in the game space.

He was always kind of a lone wolf and after The Cave performed less than satisfactory sales wise, he probably feels he has to.

Wait what? I thought that being #1 selling title on steam for a time signifies success?

Well, there are lot's of examples. It's the whole feel that feels dated and mainstream. Look at something like the movie Secret of the Kells to get an idea: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485601/

Or the graphic design of Michael C. Place.

It's the kind of bland, overly slick, nonthreatening, cute pseudo-whimsy that has been done to death during the last few years.

Not a lot of games has done it (though a few has), but then games always seems to be well behind the curve.

That part where Tim was sitting at Ron's old desk, all sad and stuff and then suddenly hugging it, just kills me. =))

Well, there are lot's of examples. It's the whole feel that feels dated and mainstream. Look at something like the movie Secret of the Kells to get an idea: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485601/

Or the graphic design of Michael C. Place.

It's the kind of bland, overly slick, nonthreatening, cute pseudo-whimsy that has been done to death during the last few years.

Not a lot of games has done it (though a few has), but then games always seems to be well behind the curve.

Yup, don't see how those art styles much resemble each other. Kells seems to have a paper cut out, almost collage thing going for it, whereas this is much more painterly and focused on the use of light and shading. The character designs in both are deformed, but the actual look and feel of them is rather different. Again, opinions and all but I honestly can't see the parallels you're drawing, and can't say I think this game appears 'bland' in any sense of the word. If this looks bland, what wouldn't?

Not bland in the sense that it lacks colour or geometric variety, but bland/vacuous in imagination.

Of course Kells looks different on the surface and WRT execution, but at heart much the same thing is going on.

In the same way that you most of the time can spot instantly if something is from the 60's 70's or 80's, this style or feel clearly belongs to the mid to late parts of the previous decade.

And IMO the part of the period with a less refined and more safe sense of style.

But before I go further, I'd like to state that I'm still giving the team the benefit of doubt. It could be me that just don't get it from the few samples we've seen.

I just marathon'd the whole documentary up to this point, including the Sidequest videos. Seeing the game come together is very scary, but also very exciting and inspirational. I really feel for the staff whenever they seem fatigued (especially Tim and Bagel, because they both especially have a lot on their plates), but I know the game will come out great. I really trust Double Fine, as I've said before.

Some things I wanted to comment on specifically:

* Lili Schafer is adorable. Was she holding a Rainbow Dash toy in one episode?

* Is that an Invader Zim plush on Tim's bookshelf? I was wondering if the show was an inspiration for Psychonauts.

* I really love how one of the staff has a Tintin In The Picaros poster. I'm a Tintin fan too.

* Seeing Anna and the other female staff (like Jane) getting to work on a project like this is really inspiring, because I'm a female looking into possibly getting into game design too.

* Brad Muir's smile is infectious. No wonder his nickname over at Giant Bomb is ":D"!

* I got all giddy seeing all of the artists' work (Bagel, Chan, Razmig, Levi, and Scott "Dude" C. especially). I plan to see Scott on the 6th in NYC! It'll be my first time finally catching him. (Missed him at NYCC last year, I was so bummed.)

* I always think of the Humble DF Bundle ad when I see Levi, and then I have to go watch it again, because it is my favorite thing.

* I think every game design studio would benefit from a weekly HOF.

* If I ever go to California again, I'll make a stop at Li Po and raise a glass for my favorite Psychoagents.

Going on two months since the last episode was released. Is the money running out?

Looks like it's that time of the month again (unless this is a joke post!).

I also wonder if they sometimes need the extra time just to get the footage they need? I think they've gone on record saying this before. It's really, really disappointing to wait this long for a new episode, but mainly because I'm such an addict now that I can't live without knowing when I'll get my next hit ;)

But you know, if nothing substantial or 'arc' happened in two months, it's probably hard to make an episode. Aren't we in that dead zone right now between releasing the trailer and voice casting? Has anything really happened between those two events, besides beep booping on computers?

EDIT: That said, it might ease the sting if the Production Status thread was kept up to date... or at least updated at all

Hey everybody, sorry for the delay on episode 10! We're currently jamming away on it and the expected release date is June 21 (on or around there). I believe it was mentioned that this episode posed some unique challenges that require us to shoot for longer than usual, and it's been quite the undertaking to put it together. We also had support for the Humble Bundle and MASSIVE CHALICE to handle, but that extra time allowed the DFA story to develop enough that we could close it out in a single episode.

Currently everyone is working at full capacity! Paul Owens continues to build episode 10, Asif is working on the backer submitted videos(you should be seeing how this turned out soon!), Marc is finishing up a new sidequest, and i'm producing video content for the MASSIVE CHALICE campaign.

We're comfortable with our ability to simultaneously support both DFA and MC, and we're taking steps to adjust and improve our workflow. There are hurdles in place that currently are slowing us down, but hopefully in the coming month or so we can have those out of the way! We'll let you guys know when the new plan swings into effect!

Currently there is a ton of content being released for MASSIVE CHALICE, so if you're interested in learning more about Brad and some other team members at double fine, swing by the Kickstarter and check them out! These videos are much longer and simpler than what you've come to expect from the DFA material, and we're planning to find ways to differentiate the two series. MC will likely be more driven by technical development, something many of you have been asking for but is difficult to get across with DFA.

Thanks for your patience, we're looking forward to giving you episode 10! It's going to be a big one.

Hey everybody, sorry for the delay on episode 10! We're currently jamming away on it and the expected release date is June 21 (on or around there). I believe it was mentioned that this episode posed some unique challenges that require us to shoot for longer than usual, and it's been quite the undertaking to put it together. We also had support for the Humble Bundle and MASSIVE CHALICE to handle, but that extra time allowed the DFA story to develop enough that we could close it out in a single episode.

Looking forward to it! But seriously, I don't think anybody could make a case that you've been slacking! It's obvious that you're putting a bunch of effort into it. Just keep up the good work... we all appreciate it!!

Hey everybody, sorry for the delay on episode 10! We're currently jamming away on it and the expected release date is June 21 (on or around there)...

Thanks for the update!

Just curious is the next episode going to be shoving Massive Chalice in our faces? Because I don't really care about that, not my kind of game.

Sign in to follow this