Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 9: "Broken Age"

Just curious is the next episode going to be shoving Massive Chalice in our faces? Because I don't really care about that, not my kind of game.

I don't really imagine the next episode being about MC. Maybe it makes a cameo since it is another kickstarter campaign, and maybe some of Broken Age Team is moving onto MC, but I doubt it would be in your face!

Smiles

Haven't checked in in a while … great episode. I think this is going to turn into, the best game development documentary film with the highest production values, the episode quality is amazing well done docco guys, the games new title is great 'broken age' … perfect.

I'm liking the sound informing a slight sinister touch in there, in relation to the worlds that are broken under the surface with a melancholic element, things can't be all things to all people but just wondering how the humour is progressing ? I'm assuming its 'not' going to be funny in the way Monkey Island was ? we live in times where people could do with a laugh ;) ? But if its not gonna be roaring funny, see if you can elicit a tear instead though emotional connection with the characters ;) though I'm largely jaded ;) I know that games are really for people younger than me ;). It's great to really see your getting on top of the game development now and its good to see the fear reducing in people eyes ;) as the game is finding its own feet, get the german intern back in the office at some point ;) you need to extract his youthful vigour otherwise whats the point in being young ?

Would anyone happen to know the music at introduction of all of these?

Thank you very much, I appreciate it!

Sitting here, nailing refresh, hoping for episode 10!

Sitting here, nailing refresh, hoping for episode 10!

Every time I get an email from Kickstarter, I freak out a little thinking the new episode is up.

the expected release date is June 21 (on or around there)

So tomorrow then...

*today ;)

(let's be optimistic)

So much for optimism! Sure glad 2PP didn't overburden themselves with more work considering they could barely push this out at a steady rate.....seriously the episodes are great....but come on

Well they did roll the cameras for another couple of weeks to make sure there was a nice capper on the events of the episode, so it's not entirely due to 2PP biting off more than they could chew.

After waiting two months I'm a little sad they didn't give us any kind of production update yesterday when their stated goal of the 21st came and went. Not even a "Sorry guys, one more day!"

After waiting two months I'm a little sad they didn't give us any kind of production update yesterday when their stated goal of the 21st came and went. Not even a "Sorry guys, one more day!"

Levering did say their target was around the 21st, not on the 21st.

As another perspective, I'm kinda glad there've been some delays. I haven't had time to watch interweb videos lately, so it's nice to know that I haven't gotten too far behind.

From a community/content producer relationship standpoint, these kinds of complaints don't really do much beyond make people less likely to share their plans. Not only are these guys working hard to polish stuff up, but they're also at the mercy of whatever material they can capture, and finding the right parts for a compelling episode is never going to be a fixed-length task (especially when working around the assorted events and developments that happen across the course of a project like this). Rigid regularity and delivery dates are a bit of a trap, and though most people throw extra padding on to allow for delays, I'm actually glad that we get to see the real expected timeframes not the "This is what I'm going to tell you so that you think everything went smoothly" ones.

I totally agree that more communication would be fantastic, but I find it pretty sad that people get cranky and demeaning when they've had to wait a few days (or weeks) for something that didn't have a firm date to begin with.

Hopefully it will be out on Monday. I'm sure Double Fine would love to send a massive update out to DFA backers in the next few days.

I find it pretty sad that people get cranky and demeaning when they've had to wait a few days (or weeks) for something that didn't have a firm date to begin with.

I'm not here to hate. I love everything I've seen so far but that doesn't mean these guys walk on water. I'm in video production myself and I totally understand that things happens and editing can take much longer than expected BUT it's very easy to keep people in the loop.

I dont need or want a detailed list every step 2 Player is taking to make the next episode great but a quick note with an updated timeframe could be done in less time than it takes FCP7 to "Render all".

I think what I'm finding a little irritating is that I get the impression that they've stalled on this project - because of Massive Chalice... I'm becoming unsure about whether or not the rest of this documentary process will suffer, because of the start of an entirely new project. They said they could handle both - but it ain't lookin' so good right now - based on what I'm seeing.

Then again, I wouldn't care so much but for the terrific job they've done at it so far... so maybe they'll manage to pull it off.

I find it pretty sad that people get cranky and demeaning when they've had to wait a few days (or weeks) for something that didn't have a firm date to begin with.

I'm not here to hate. I love everything I've seen so far but that doesn't mean these guys walk on water. I'm in video production myself and I totally understand that things happens and editing can take much longer than expected BUT it's very easy to keep people in the loop.

I dont need or want a detailed list every step 2 Player is taking to make the next episode great but a quick note with an updated timeframe could be done in less time than it takes FCP7 to "Render all".

The weird thing is that 2pproductions has been active on Twitter the past couple of days - but only to provide updates on Massive Chalice.

I wasn't suggesting that anybody was perfect or beyond reproach, nor that more communication wouldn't be awesome, just that negativity isn't in any way warranted.

Critiques and requests for further information can be given in a much more positive fashion - unpleasant ones are more likely to only result in dates that are 100% reliable being put forward (which obviously wouldn't come as frequently).

On a separate note, 2PP's ability to get content is in part at the mercy of the development team's availability - for example, if (hypothetically) everything else at Double Fine has slowed down in the leadup to/for the Massive Chalice campaign, then the amount of relevant stuff that could be filmed would be reduced. I wouldn't be getting upset about anything or questioning anybody's abilities until there was more information available or some trend to suggest that things were out of control.

I wasn't suggesting that anybody was perfect or beyond reproach, nor that more communication wouldn't be awesome, just that negativity isn't in any way warranted.

Critiques and requests for further information can be given in a much more positive fashion - unpleasant ones are more likely to only result in dates that are 100% reliable being put forward (which obviously wouldn't come as frequently).

2PP's ability to get content is in part at the mercy of the development team's availability - for example, if (hypothetically) everything else at Double Fine has slowed down in the leadup to/for the Massive Chalice campaign, then the amount of relevant stuff that could be filmed would be reduced. I wouldn't be getting upset about anything or questioning anybody's abilities until there was more information available or some trend to suggest that things were out of control.

That's irrelevant to episode 10, according to them, they've been editing it since June the 12th, so they've had all the footage, and it takes 3 whole minutes to make a forum post that says "Hey remember that date, ya, sorryyyyy"

2PP's ability to get content is in part at the mercy of the development team's availability - for example, if (hypothetically) everything else at Double Fine has slowed down in the leadup to/for the Massive Chalice campaign, then the amount of relevant stuff that could be filmed would be reduced. I wouldn't be getting upset about anything or questioning anybody's abilities until there was more information available or some trend to suggest that things were out of control.

That's irrelevant to episode 10, according to them, they've been editing it since June the 12th, so they've had all the footage, and it takes 3 whole minutes to make a forum post that says "Hey remember that date, ya, sorryyyyy"

This bit was the relevant bit to that specific concern :)

I think even seems to agree that 2PP communication has been, poor, at best. It takes a whole of two minutes to make a forum post, no production schedule in the world doesn't allow for that.

We were told on or AROUND the 21st. Pony down everyone and wait patiently.

But I just cleaned my pitchfork and lit my torch. :(

Oops. I lit my pitchfork :/

Oops. I lit my pitchfork :/

Normally it's torches AND pitchforks....but I think you just made it wayyyy more efficient

I think what I'm finding a little irritating is that I get the impression that they've stalled on this project - because of Massive Chalice... I'm becoming unsure about whether or not the rest of this documentary process will suffer, because of the start of an entirely new project. They said they could handle both - but it ain't lookin' so good right now - based on what I'm seeing.

Then again, I wouldn't care so much but for the terrific job they've done at it so far... so maybe they'll manage to pull it off.

I'm pretty immensely confident they'll pull it off.

Smiles

Realmente queria sumarme a las criticas ya realizadas sobre las demoras con el documental.

Realmente desde el comienzo del proyecto se nos dio a entender que habria actualizaciones mensuales y al comienzo se cumplio pero en este ultimo semestre cada vez han sido mas demoradas las salidas de cada episodio......

A la par de esto, hay realmente muy poca informacion sobre el estado de los episodios (2PP hola !) y tambien pocas actualizaciones en los foros, cuando fue la ultima actualizacion de Arte, Programacion, de Tim !?

La combinacion de estas cosas me hace pensar que a esta altura le somos un peso a DF, que preferirian no tener que preocuparse de los Backers sino enfocarse solo en el desarrollo del juego (que no tengo dudas es muy importante para ellos y estan haciendo lo mejor para que quede excelente) ya que, de algun modo, a medida que pasa el tiempo eso es lo que esta pasando. Cada vez menos posteos y menos informacion............

Sigo creyendo en el proyecto y si lo pienso friamente lo que recibimos hasta ahora por la plata invertida esta bien. Pero aun asi no puedo dejar de sentir cierta desilusion.

There i said it !!

Saludos.

PD: Ahora que escribi esto seguro sale el capitulo nuevo esta tarde je.

Every time there’s an episode delay (which is every time there’s an episode coming up) the same issues pop up.

How the delay is due to 2PP being busy with something else Minecraft/Amnesia Fortnight/Massive Chalice.

People not liking the style of the documentary, wanting rough cuts, faster production etc.

How 2PP doesn’t bother to update us on the status of the episode while they're active on Twitter etc.

How we were promised an episode per month and we are getting one every two months on average.

Though I participated in those discussions in the past, if after a year+ in development you guys haven’t seen any improvements to whatever your complaints are why do you still bother?

As some have mentioned already, this indifference particularly from 2PP which never really improved, makes it seem like we are a weight for you guys or you simply don’t care about us enough to inform us, particularly those who frequent these forums since the project started and wait for a new episode with bated breaths.

Personally I ceased to care, though I never cared if 2PP, DF or Santa Claus ever gave a damn about me, but from a professional PR perspective, I expect them to pretend they care (you better not shun my milk and cookies next time Santa).

PS. LiloElLoro, though I got what you are saying with my limited Spanish, it would be more polite to post in English in these boards.

Let me just say that job 2PP has done on giving updates is terrible, unforgivable. It takes two minutes or less to write a forum post and tell us what's going on. If they don't have time for that then they have no business doing what they're doing.

That being said, this is nothing compared to what me and thousands of other people are going through on the Ouya Kickstarter. The reward clearly promised we'd have our consoles before the release date of June 25 and many consoles havent even been sent out yet. Ouya is not saying anything publicly and are claiming to have sent all Kickstarter units even though that's a lie. They aren't answer emails either.

So compared to that, this has been perfect. DF has been upfront with us as best they can even if 2PP hasn't. They're clearly working on the game to the best of their ability and are engaging in communication with us from time to time. I can tell you one thing though, I'm never backing on Kickstarter again that's for sure.

Sign in to follow this