Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 9: "Broken Age"

Like many other already said it´s there silence that´s the problem, if they know that they are going to be more delay just say so!

But this sh*t they are pulling now is driving me crazy, and the "Documentary Production Status" thread hasn´t been since Oktober 2012...

So come on guys, pull yourself together and at least have an intern (if you got one) write something know and then just to let us know.

(Sorry for my poor english spelling/grammers)

Every time there’s an episode delay (which is every time there’s an episode coming up) the same issues pop up.

How the delay is due to 2PP being busy with something else Minecraft/Amnesia Fortnight/Massive Chalice.

People not liking the style of the documentary, wanting rough cuts, faster production etc.

How 2PP doesn’t bother to update us on the status of the episode while they're active on Twitter etc.

How we were promised an episode per month and we are getting one every two months on average.

Though I participated in those discussions in the past, if after a year+ in development you guys haven’t seen any improvements to whatever your complaints are why do you still bother?

As some have mentioned already, this indifference particularly from 2PP which never really improved, makes it seem like we are a weight for you guys or you simply don’t care about us enough to inform us, particularly those who frequent these forums since the project started and wait for a new episode with bated breaths.

Personally I ceased to care, though I never cared if 2PP, DF or Santa Claus ever gave a damn about me, but from a professional PR perspective, I expect them to pretend they care (you better not shun my milk and cookies next time Santa).

PS. LiloElLoro, though I got what you are saying with my limited Spanish, it would be more polite to post in English in these boards.

I really agree with you, there are always delays from 2PP and almost zero information why. But there is also less and less posts about Art and Programming or Writing (except some marketing related ones). It makes me believe that we are a weight not only for 2PP but also for DF, in some way.

To be clear i love DF and i have no doubt the game is REALLY important for them and they are going to make sure to make a great game. But it feels like, some how, they did not expect or realize(?) the time they have to put into keeping the backers inform (it was a promise from the KS.)

PS. sorry for my last post on Spanish, but i am frequent visitor to the forum but almost never post anything because is hard for me to wirte in english so i did one in spanish to see if anyone else that is in my position reply in spanish also.

Saludos / Regards

Let me just say that job 2PP has done on giving updates is terrible, unforgivable. It takes two minutes or less to write a forum post and tell us what's going on. If they don't have time for that then they have no business doing what they're doing.

That being said, this is nothing compared to what me and thousands of other people are going through on the Ouya Kickstarter. The reward clearly promised we'd have our consoles before the release date of June 25 and many consoles havent even been sent out yet. Ouya is not saying anything publicly and are claiming to have sent all Kickstarter units even though that's a lie. They aren't answer emails either.

So compared to that, this has been perfect. DF has been upfront with us as best they can even if 2PP hasn't. They're clearly working on the game to the best of their ability and are engaging in communication with us from time to time. I can tell you one thing though, I'm never backing on Kickstarter again that's for sure.

The OUYA-gate well i back Ouya too and im still waiting for it.........with the plus (or less) that i live in Argentina and deliveries using DHL (such is the carrier the Ouya guys choose to use) are blocked in customs do to some fight between DHL and our goverment so i wont get my ouya any time soon.

I send and email to OuyaSupport several weeks ago and im still waiting for and answer, so those are probably the 100 dollars worst spend in a long time..... :(

Any way because one KS is not perfect do not mean the rest is safe or that Kickstarter is not good, just need to be more careful.

We were told on or AROUND the 21st. Pony down everyone and wait patiently.

But I just cleaned my pitchfork and lit my torch. :(

Oops. I lit my pitchfork :/

Normally it's torches AND pitchforks....but I think you just made it wayyyy more efficient

Pitchtorch ftw!

Normally it's torches AND pitchforks....but I think you just made it wayyyy more efficient

Pitchtorch ftw!

I prefer Torchfork!

Pitchtorch ftw!

I prefer Torchfork!

Finally! the spork of angry mob riots is invented!

Google Translate is surprisingly good at translating from Spanish to English. Posting LiloElLoro's message into it directly yields:

I really wanted to join in the criticism already made about the delays with the documentary.

Really from the beginning of the project we hinted that there would be monthly updates at the beginning was fulfilled but in this last semester have been growing more delayed outputs of each episode ......

Along with this, there is really very little information about the state of the episodes (2PP hello!) And also few updates on the forums, when was the last update of Art, Programming, Tim!?

The combination of these things makes me think that at this point you are a weight to DF, who would prefer not to have to worry about Backers but focus only on the development of the game (which I have no doubt is very important to them and are doing what best to make it good) because, in some way, as time passes this is what is happening. Fewer and fewer posts and less information ............

I still believe in the project and if I think about it coldly received so far by the money invested is well. But still I can not help but feel some disappointment.

There i said it!!

Greetings.

PS: Now that I wrote this chapter safe out again this afternoon heh.

...which isn't grammatically perfect, but it's quite understandable. Anyway, if you're not a native English speaker and you'd like to post English messages, try using it: http://translate.google.com/

Pitchtorch ftw!

I prefer Torchfork!

Finally! the spork of angry mob riots is invented!

If the Pitchtorch/Torchfork doesn't make it into the game I will be highly disappointed

I feel like the problem here is the lack of a hard deadline. I have known many artists in my life and the one consistent element, present in every last one of them, is their inability to let go. The more malleable the time frame, the more they fiddle. Whatever it is, it is never done and they never want to stop working on it. That is why you need to force them to uphold strict deadlines. They need them!

Google Translate is surprisingly good at translating from Spanish to English. Posting LiloElLoro's message into it directly yields:
I really wanted to join in the criticism already made about the delays with the documentary.

Really from the beginning of the project we hinted that there would be monthly updates at the beginning was fulfilled but in this last semester have been growing more delayed outputs of each episode ......

Along with this, there is really very little information about the state of the episodes (2PP hello!) And also few updates on the forums, when was the last update of Art, Programming, Tim!?

The combination of these things makes me think that at this point you are a weight to DF, who would prefer not to have to worry about Backers but focus only on the development of the game (which I have no doubt is very important to them and are doing what best to make it good) because, in some way, as time passes this is what is happening. Fewer and fewer posts and less information ............

I still believe in the project and if I think about it coldly received so far by the money invested is well. But still I can not help but feel some disappointment.

There i said it!!

Greetings.

PS: Now that I wrote this chapter safe out again this afternoon heh.

...which isn't grammatically perfect, but it's quite understandable. Anyway, if you're not a native English speaker and you'd like to post English messages, try using it: http://translate.google.com/

Thanks for the translation !

I feel like the problem here is the lack of a hard deadline. I have known many artists in my life and the one consistent element, present in every last one of them, is their inability to let go. The more malleable the time frame, the more they fiddle. Whatever it is, it is never done and they never want to stop working on it. That is why you need to force them to uphold strict deadlines. They need them!

And it's funny that's where publishers usually came into play - setting hard deadlines and controlling time and finances allocated.

I'm not saying Broken Age needs a publisher. I'm saying that it's a compromise in not having publisher support, but certainly the pros of being publisher-free outweigh the cons, especially on a project like this.

And it's funny that's where publishers usually came into play - setting hard deadlines and controlling time and finances allocated.

I'm not saying Broken Age needs a publisher. I'm saying that it's a compromise in not having publisher support, but certainly the pros of being publisher-free outweigh the cons, especially on a project like this.

I was actually speaking about the 2PP documentary... In retrospect I probably should have specified.

Generally, I am completely done with game publishers. I honestly want nothing to do with them. I will accept later games as a consequence of that choke-hold being severed. They have becoming a stifling agent. They do nothing but smother genuine, artistic, game design.

2PP productions, on the other hand, seem to be a little out of control. I mean, the quality of the content surely makes up for any shortcoming. However, their release schedule is a little baffling. Personally, I think they should announce that they will be releasing a video every two months. That being said, they should doggedly stick to that release schedule once they set it. It is the uncertainty that is killing people here.

I think people are forgetting double fine and 2PP are not the same, 2PP does not work on the game, no matter how busy the team gets, they do not have to code, animate or write dialogue, what the people are complaining about here is 2PP straight up silence to everyone, NOT double fines. Also, just because you have no publisher doesn't mean you can take forever with things, money runs out, this is a fact of life, people did not hate publishers for that, they hate them for the useless DLC's, Bad DRM, and games marked up way past their worth etc etc.....deadlines are good, Tim has tried to make them for a reason, no deadline is a con, and a major one, I point you to Duke Nukem on that one

I was actually speaking about the 2PP documentary... In retrospect I probably should have specified.

Generally, I am completely done with game publishers. I honestly want nothing to do with them. I will accept later games as a consequence of that choke-hold being severed. They have becoming a stifling agent. They do nothing but smother genuine, artistic, game design.

2PP productions, on the other hand, seem to be a little out of control. I mean, the quality of the content surely makes up for any shortcoming. However, their release schedule is a little baffling. Personally, I think they should announce that they will be releasing a video every two months. That being said, they should doggedly stick to that release schedule once they set it. It is the uncertainty that is killing people here.

Yea I know you were talking about 2PP. I was just making a similar observation or drawing a parallel for the actual game development.

But with 2PP we really don't know what goes on behind the scenes. There could be any reason for the delay. Best to put a little more time into the episode than to rush it out. All their material has been top notch so far, and for that they have my trust and confidence.

@ Cleft - reread the last two sentences of my post. Nobody said it's okay for people to "take forever".

I wonder if what we're feeling is how publishers feel when deadlines aren't met? I can kinda see why publishers are so strict and seemingly grouchy now.

I wonder if what we're feeling is how publishers feel when deadlines aren't met? I can kinda see why publishers are so strict and seemingly grouchy now.

I think at this point kickstarter developers would rather have publishers breathing down their necks than hundreds or thousands of angry backers posting, "We want our documentary now! Why has the game been delayed? Are they out of money? The title of the game sucks! I hate the art style!" and so on.

;)

I think at this point kickstarter developers would rather have publishers breathing down their necks than hundreds or thousands of angry backers posting, "We want our documentary now! Why has the game been delayed? Are they out of money? The title of the game sucks! I hate the art style!" and so on. ;)

We'd just like to know when we can expect the new episode, a forum post doesn't seem really too much to ask don't you think?

I think at this point kickstarter developers would rather have publishers breathing down their necks than hundreds or thousands of angry backers posting, "We want our documentary now! Why has the game been delayed? Are they out of money? The title of the game sucks! I hate the art style!" and so on. ;)

We'd just like to know when we can expect the new episode, a forum post doesn't seem really too much to ask don't you think?

The wink meant the post was in jest.

It's okay for people to ask but it seems that anxiety tends to build up, and this anxiety snowballs into people making assumptions about 2PP or the game production.

Waiting is hard, but every time a new episode comes out it's wonderful and people really enjoy it. Other than patiently waiting I'm not sure what else to do. 2PP knows people are eagerly waiting and I would imagine they're working hard to release the episode as soon as they can.

The wait can be frustraiting if you focus on it a lot. Perhaps the ending of MI2 can offer a suggestion... or fifty?

Such as...

turn off your computer and do something constructive.

Like play a little racquetball.

Or wash your car.

Or cook dinner.

Or join a funk band.

Or travel to a foreign country.

Or run for president.

Or talk to a member of the opposite sex.

Or lube your car.

Or host a weenie roast.

Or dig for buried treasure.

Or milk a cow.

Or have a yelling contest with your neighbor's dog.

Or perform brain surgery.

Or paint a yellow line in the center of your driveway.

Or write your name in the snow.

Or teach basket weaving to clams.

Or sing Welsh folk songs at the bank.

Or plant trees on public property.

Or confuse the person next to you.

Or make a triangular table.

Or hop, skip, and jump.

Or ride a train.

Or organize your sock drawer alphabetically.

Or go bowling with your mom.

Or train potato bugs to do tricks.

Or make a quilt.

Or publish a magazine about pencil shavings.

Or eat lime jello with pineapple in it.

Or pave a freeway.

Or learn to draw.

Or take up photography.

Or learn to tell time.

Or photocopy money.

Or go out for pasta.

Or sew a dress.

Or bathe your iguana.

Or go fishing.

Or paint a stranger's house in the middle of the night.

Or take up windsurfing.

Or change your hair style.

Or sharpen your whiteboard markers.

Or feed a toucan.

Or enjoy the sun.

Or do a crossword puzzle.

Or buy some cool clothes.

Or go to the beach.

Or play croquet with your dad.

Or water your plants.

Or build a doll house.

Or invite some friends over for salmon and white wine.

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay on this! The episode is basically done and 2PP is doing their final audio work now. I know it's a bummer when the episode release estimates turn out to be a little off. They're working hard though, and it will be out next week. This is a longer-than-usual episode, and there's a LOT of detail in it. So stay tuned!

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay on this! The episode is basically done and 2PP is doing their final audio work now. I know it's a bummer when the episode release estimates turn out to be a little off. They're working hard though, and it will be out next week. This is a longer-than-usual episode, and there's a LOT of detail in it. So stay tuned!

Thanks for the update.

Are the promised monthly video updates as it says on Kickstarter, officially dead? The game seems pretty far from being done, so these continuous delays are a big deal, at least for me. Those videos kept me connected to the project but with more than two months in between now, it's more than enough to make me forget. I'm actually at a point where I don't care anymore about the game, which is sad, and it also made me decide not to kickstart MC.

Edit: I came to the conclusion that I like Brad too much not to support MC, so I did.

Movie related i always thought that 90 minutes (as long as the film is good) is pretty short and more enjoy those 120+x like movies. Saying so the longest film is said to be 240 hours long. :o)

Hey guys,

The longer the better, thanks. :)

Hey guys,

TWSS.

Hey guys,

TWSS.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who got the urge to post that reply.

Hey guys,

Chris to the rescue! Thanks for the update...

Hey guys,

TWSS.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who got the urge to post that reply.

You're all dirty filthy people. >_<

While it's a bummer that they missed their targeted release, I think it's important to remember that 2PP is only 3 guys. And those 3 guys are constantly filming new stuff every day, while also editing episode 10/11 etc, while also doing business not related to DF.

Some may say that they shouldn't have taken on so much, but I don't think that's fair. The original goal for DFA was only 400k, and it's obviously gone well beyond what was originally expected. In addition, the main reason that people are begging for a new episode is that the previous episodes have been so good. I for one had little to no interest in the documentary when I backed, but now it's become so important that I can say that I've already gotten my money's worth, without even receiving the game.

It sucks that we have to wait even longer, but I'm confident it will be worth it.

Sign in to follow this