Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Project Update 3: 4/26/13

Hey guys! Greg is out today so I put together this week's update. Enjoy! There were many tasks completed!

ANIMATION

- Many new cutscene layouts

- Starting to add scratch dialogue to cutscene layouts

ART

- Created UI mockups

- Added antechamber to shield control area

- Integrated alpha-painted versions of storage room

- Lighting pass and alpha pass on storage room, including setting up multiple lighting states

- Integrated three new environment layouts

- Created hyperspace and teleportation FX

AUDIO

- Edited and implemented new scratch lines for spaceship

- Created SFX processing chain for robot lines (robots sound like robots)

- Created new teleportation and sleeping mountain SFX

- Set up music workflow and implemented two music cues

DESIGN/WRITING

- Created casting doc with main character descriptions

- Began voice casting discussions with director

- Named many characters

- Began writing Girl Act 1

PROGRAMMING

- Implemented texture format optimized for mip streaming

- Work on spaceship puzzles and dialogue

- Completed tasks preventing complete playthrough of spaceship

- Integrated assets and gameplay into three environments

- Added script override ability for examining inventory items

- Made inventory bar fade out for HUD-less screen most of the time

- Reticulated hella splines

PRODUCTION/WEB

- Iterated on task lisk for current sprint

- Finished animation tracker

- Sent out documentary episode 9

- Added non-forum permalink pages for all forum content

Awesome! Thanks Chris :D

Interesting move to put the backer stuff on pages outside the forum. Hopefully it'll be more accessible to more people. Do they require authentication to view?

Awesome! Thanks Chris :D

Interesting move to put the backer stuff on pages outside the forum. Hopefully it'll be more accessible to more people. Do they require authentication to view?

Yes, it's still all private. I just noticed that a lot of our backers have a strong aversion to browsing forums, and I wanted them to be able to read the content. But if you aren't logged in, it'll redirect you to a login page.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am /super/ excited about the spline reticulation.

It's basically the technical linchpin of the project.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am /super/ excited about the spline reticulation.
Thank you for reminding me to look up what spline reticulation actually is. I've been meaning to for more than a decade now.

It's basically the technical linchpin of the project.

Really, really?

Sims Wikia link

Most sources point to such content.

Personally, I'm excited about the "music workflop".

(And really, have you ever had the misfortune to play a game where they didn't reticulate all their splines? GARBAGE!)

Sooo, if you didn't have any writing for Girl Act 1 before, does this mean Cloud Colony is from a later act? Because I got the distinct impression that had some writing already (even to the point of Brad complaining about the sheer quantity of it during HoF)... :bug:

Sooo, if you didn't have any writing for Girl Act 1 before, does this mean Cloud Colony is from a later act? Because I got the distinct impression that had some writing already (even to the point of Brad complaining about the sheer quantity of it during HoF)... :bug:

My guess is that for the Boy and the Girl, act 1 is them in their routines, and ends when they break out of their routines. That would put the Cloud Colony at the start of act 2. Imagine Act 2 will be longer, that's pretty normal.

My guess is that for the Boy and the Girl, act 1 is them in their routines, and ends when they break out of their routines. That would put the Cloud Colony at the start of act 2. Imagine Act 2 will be longer, that's pretty normal.

Yes, in the Game Informer article it sounds just like that.

Hi,

thanks for the update. The note which got my attention:

Created SFX processing chain for robot lines (robots sound like robots)

Me and my friends founded a company, which creates ~humanoid robots. We had a difficult time deciding what kind of modulation to use for voice, because our experiments showed that the "default" robot voice*, originally considered cool, is received as highly annoying by people, especially when robot talks to much (and our does :)).

We ended up having very subtle modulation, which seems to work for people (sounds robotic, but not as hardcore robot), yet it does not distract/annoy too much. I am looking forward to hear your version!

Petr

* This is what I consider "default" robot voice:

You should get Logan Cunningham for one of the voices. I guarantee - people will go nuts if Cunningham makes an appearance. ;)

You should get Logan Cunningham for one of the voices. I guarantee - people will go nuts if Cunningham makes an appearance. ;)

Yeah, they probably would go nuts, considering the coach has been dead for more than 50 years. (Sorry, I don't know who your Logan Cunningham is... :D

Yeah, they probably would go nuts, considering the coach has been dead for more than 50 years. (Sorry, I don't know who your Logan Cunningham is... :D

He's the dude that played Narrator in Bastion, has an awesome voice.

In support of recent voice actors who lost their jobs, I suggest David Hayter for the boy and Kevin Conroy for the girl.

I see no flaws in this proposal.

David Hayter for the boy

Dialogue tree, node 146:

Hey, who are you ?

1) Metal Gear

2) Metal Gear !

3) Metal Gear ?!

4) Raiden.

You, clearly, have NOT played The Bastion.

SHAME ON YOU! >: [

Thanks for update. A lot of work every week. Great job team!

In support of recent voice actors who lost their jobs, I suggest David Hayter for the boy and Kevin Conroy David Hayter for the girl.

I see no flaws in this proposal.

GOTY

Sign in to follow this