Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

New wallpapers: Scientist and Knight areas

thecave_scientistknight_wallpaperpreview

Hey everyone,

In some recent episodes of the Double Fine Adventure documentary, there were some shots of one of our conference rooms whose walls are adorned with enormous pieces of The Cave concept art depicting the Knight and Scientist levels. These were created by Double Fine artists Derek Brand (Knight) and Levi Ryken (Scientist) and the huge prints of them were used in the game's E3 booth before coming back home to DF for good.

Well, some backers thought those pieces would make great wallpapers for computers and mobile devices. And they were right! So here you go!

SCIENTIST

- 1280 by 1024 (5:4)

- 1920 by 1080 (16:9)

- 2560 by 1440 (16:9 higher-res)

- 1920 by 1200 (16:10) (use this for 1680x1050)

- 2048 by 1536 (iPad) (use this for 1600x1200)

- 640 by 960 (iPhone pre-5)

- 640 by 1136 (iPhone 5)

- 1080 by 960 (Android)

- Zip file with all Scientist wallpapers

KNIGHT

- 1280 by 1024 (5:4)

- 1920 by 1080 (16:9)

- 2560 by 1440 (16:9 higher-res)

- 1920 by 1200 (16:10) (use this for 1680x1050)

- 2048 by 1536 (iPad) (use this for 1600x1200)

- 640 by 960 (iPhone pre-5)

- 640 by 1136 (iPhone 5)

- 1080 by 960 (Android)

- Zip file with all Knight wallpapers

A few notes:

- The iPad background is sized for the “retina” display, but the aspect ratio is identical on all iPad models, so it should be fine regardless.

- Same goes for the iPhone pre-5 size: it’s made to support retina displays but it’s the right aspect ratio for any pre-5 iPhone.

- The “Android” background is just called that because it’s a decent attempt at a common aspect ratio that works with Android’s scrolling backgrounds, but since there is no standard Android spec you may end up trying a few different sizes before finding the best one for your device.

- For the iPhone images I created a tweaked version of the artwork that moves the boy and girl closer together

I don't that makes sense for this background. ;-) Unless by "boy" you mean the rocket and by "girl" you mean... ugh, I've got nothing.

- For the iPhone images I created a tweaked version of the artwork that moves the boy and girl closer together

I don't that makes sense for this background. ;-) Unless by "boy" you mean the rocket and by "girl" you mean... ugh, I've got nothing.

Copy/paste disaster!!!

Copy/paste disaster!!!

Does that mean there might be some specific iPhone-Images from DFA?

Copy/paste disaster!!!

Does that mean there might be some specific iPhone-Images from DFA?

That accidental bit was from a separate post in the backer forums featuring wallpapers of the main character art from Broken Age (DFA)--so yeah, they're formatted for iPhone, but it's the same actual artwork as the computer/tablet wallpapers.

If you're a backer (which you are!) you can check them out here: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/9065/

I did the Scientist one. That file was huge! Took me 25 seconds every time I wanted to save!

Could we pretty please get both wallpapers in 1440x900 flavor? 1920x1200 kind of works, but the logo and top edge are obscured (by my dock and menu bar on a Mac, to be honest). That would be splendid. Also, first post!

I did the Scientist one. That file was huge! Took me 25 seconds every time I wanted to save!

Oh crap I'm an asshole!

Uh oh, now you're in trouble, Chris. You better bring a cake to the office on Monday to smooth things over.

Could we pretty please get both wallpapers in 1440x900 flavor? 1920x1200 kind of works, but the logo and top edge are obscured (by my dock and menu bar on a Mac, to be honest). That would be splendid. Also, first post!

1920x1200 and 1440x900 are actually in the exact same aspect ratio (that is to say, they both reduce down to a ratio of 16:10, or 8:5). Simply resizing it from one to other wouldn't change the relative position of anything in the image, and therefore wouldn't keep anything from being obscured by your dock and menu bar. Try using 1920x1080 if you want an aspect ratio that has less relative height.

1920x1200 and 1440x900 are actually in the exact same aspect ratio (that is to say, they both reduce down to a ratio of 16:10, or 8:5). Simply resizing it from one to other wouldn't change the relative position of anything in the image, and therefore wouldn't keep anything from being obscured by your dock and menu bar. Try using 1920x1080 if you want an aspect ratio that has less relative height.

Get out of here with your witchcraft and mathematics!

Sign in to follow this