Sign in to follow this  
Aristotlol

Humble Double Fine Bundle

I have to say, the video is really funny, thumbs up there. Will post on Facebook, etc.

Edit: This juice must cost a million dollars.

Just paid 10.00$ to have BL on Steam. I already had it for PS and the rest of those games on Steam from a previous bundle :D

Yeah I coughed up a measly $8.40 for basically BL (and given my backlog of games, more for the music in FLAC format, and Mac compatibility). I like they are doing this, but it feels like it's for a cash injection to get DFA over the finish line.

Wait wait WAAAAH?? BL, Stacking and CQ on Mac?!?!? Sign me up!

Glad to see the Mac an Linux gaming love!

I actually already own all of these on Steam. Will they just start working on Mac now?

Seth B

I like they are doing this, but it feels like it's for a cash injection to get DFA over the finish line.

It's strange how a lot of people here judge everything in terms of Broken Age. The way you write it makes it feel as if BA was the only focus and all else is just a means of getting more cash to run the show.

The majority of these games are coming to most of the platforms for the first time. A lot of work was undoubtedly put into porting the games. They easily could have released them directly on Steam, the Mac App store and similar platforms first, to get the most cash from willing buyers, and then when interest tapered off, come with the Humble Bundle to rekindle attention. Instead, they decided to go for HB first. And I really respect that and think it says a lot about Double Fine and how much they care about the people who play their games.

As a Mac owner who has only had one console (Wii) in his life, I've never had a chance to play these games before (except for Psychonauts, which was extremely buggy), so I directly feel the impact of this.

Thanks Tim, and thanks everyone else at Double Fine for your amazing work and love!

Are a percentage of these proceeds going directly into the Broken Age budget to continue to help extend development?

I imagine some of it is, but just curious what the official word on it is. Anyways, totally support it either way.

It's strange how a lot of people here judge everything in terms of Broken Age. The way you write it makes it feel as if BA was the only focus and all else is just a means of getting more cash to run the show.

The majority of these games are coming to most of the platforms for the first time. A lot of work was undoubtedly put into porting the games. They easily could have released them directly on Steam, the Mac App store and similar platforms first, to get the most cash from willing buyers, and then when interest tapered off, come with the Humble Bundle to rekindle attention. Instead, they decided to go for HB first. And I really respect that and think it says a lot about Double Fine and how much they care about the people who play their games.

As a Mac owner who has only had one console (Wii) in his life, I've never had a chance to play these games before (except for Psychonauts, which was extremely buggy), so I directly feel the impact of this.

Thanks Tim, and thanks everyone else at Double Fine for your amazing work and love!

Great insight and write-up.

YESYES YSE YESYES!!!!!

Anyone any good at lip reading? I couldn't figure out what Tim was saying where the "$35 dollars" was dubbed over.

Are a percentage of these proceeds going directly into the Broken Age budget to continue to help extend development?

I imagine some of it is, but just curious what the official word on it is. Anyways, totally support it either way.

I'm not sure there's actually an official percentage in this case. As others have noted, DF isn't a huge studio but it's not tiny either, and we have several projects going on at once. There are lots of things to fund here all the time! Including the rent!

I'm not sure there's actually an official percentage in this case. As others have noted, DF isn't a huge studio but it's not tiny either, and we have several projects going on at once. There are lots of things to fund here all the time! Including the rent!

Cool. That was my guess. Thanks for the reply, Remo! I'm happy with anything that helps keep the doors open. Viva la Double Fine!

I like they are doing this, but it feels like it's for a cash injection to get DFA over the finish line.

Part of the reason I judged in terms of Broken Age is because of the inclusion of the slacker backer levels. If this was simply a "hey heres our games for Linux & Mac for the first time ever isn't that cool" bundle I wouldn't have given it much of a second thought. Yes they have other sticks in the fire but we have no idea what state they are in (self financed, publisher backed) but paying the bills is an equally good use :)

They are doing well at the moment, 53k purchases and $425k for payments. (Minus the HB tip, what goes to charity and whatever hidden stuff there is)

I'm a Mac owner too (and iPad) though I tend to game in Bootcamp more for performance reasons than the lack of games. That they are doing this is great but what you ascribe to DF being just cool & caring, can equally be seen as needing money quickly & getting free press to help raise awareness of DF themselves and Broken Age. Whatever the actual reason for doing the HB it _will_ be good for Double Fine & Tim.

It'd be cool to know how many new slacker backers come through this. Can we find out?

I'm a Humble Backer! Up the Average!

Would there be any chance of getting GOG keys added to it?

It'd be cool to know how many new slacker backers come through this. Can we find out?

Yeah, we'll be able to run some numbers when we're done I think.

Would there be any chance of getting GOG keys added to it?

I don't think they will get gog.com because they ask money for the keys they hand out.

It's time for some bogus calc:

I stared at the counter to pass $1000 twice. Within this range there were about 4-5 increases over $35 which means almost $80-$100k of new DFA funding when there was a total of about $562000, 5% sounds reasonable to me but again it's bogus as the sample is too small, arbitrary and doesn't take into account where the money goes to but some quick fun nonetheless.

Now you have to keep staring at the counter until the bundle ends to give us some good data based on a proper sample size.

Please, please, PLEASE, can we see some outtakes from that video?! :)

And please can you stop draining my bank account?! It doesn't matter if I own these games 3 times over (actually it's probably 4), I'm still compelled to re-buy them again. What's up with me!?

Somehow i expected people to ask for the recipe of each game. :o)

I actually completed Psychonauts when it was still free on Gametap (Huh, is that even a thing anymore?), but I suppose that it's good enough that it warrants a purchase and even another playthrough. And hey, even if it isn't, Costume Quest, Stacking and Brutal Legend (Not to mention the soundtracks) should cover the 10 bucks I paid nicely! ;)

Just out of curiosity, of the money that goes to Double Fine, how much will be used to fund Broken Age? EDIT: Ninja'd

Nearly $600k so far. Freaking fantastic!

I'm wondering if it will pass the Broken Age Kickstarter sum by the end.

Nearly $600k so far. Freaking fantastic!

I'm wondering if it will pass the Broken Age Kickstarter sum by the end.

I'd be very surprised, since

a) the Kickstarter went on for twice as long

b) the Kickstarter had about 2x as fast a start - it broke a million in less than a day

c) the Kickstarter had an average pledge of about $35 (though this isn't especially relevant as more people are going for this one)

d) the Kickstarter was boosted by additional rewards, where they seem to have pretty much included everything they can already in this one (since they don't publish The Cave or Iron Brigade). Could be proved wrong on that one of course...

Nah, I imagine it'll break a million, but then it'll slow down before it gets to 1.5. But that's still a great figure. If DF gets nearly a million out of it, that money can go a long way!

Actually it slowed down already. Without an surprising update i expect it making something between 900k to 1.5 million dollars. It won't skyrocket as much the HIB V because most of the games had been offered in sale actions already and not everyone is a MAC (hey, i am :o) or Linux user. The HIB V was a killer bundle (Psychonauts, Limbo, Braid, ...), a surprise that a bigger game like Psychonauts entered the scene and it was a really good mix. The proper mix with great and also new games is something the HIBs are lacking more recently. Bigger games not being cross platform, not this awesome games for Android or offering the same games once again. It's not surprising that they aren't breaking their own records anymore.

In all honesty, I'm shelling out the money for the Brutal Legend OST more than for the games themselves. I commented this on the news page, but I'm a tad bummed that the Costume Quest OST isn't in the bundle or even really available anywhere outside of the game. Think that might change some day?

but I'm a tad bummed that the Costume Quest OST isn't in the bundle or even really available anywhere outside of the game. Think that might change some day?

Well, there are two tracks in the bundle, the title theme and combat music.

Costume Quest OST? I just downloaded that of my Humble Bundle page yesterday. (It was listed on my main HB page, not sure it was on this DF HB page will look in a moment) I certainly don't remember it being part of a previous bundle.

[edit] ninja'd by a post I didn't see as it was on page 2.

Yep, I see I was wrong about the Costume Quest OST. Didn't see it on the list on the Humble Bundle page, so I assumed. :D

Sign in to follow this