Sign in to follow this  
GiliPuppy

[Mac] Low framerate problem?

While waiting for the Stacking crash issue to be fixed, I thought I'd try Costume Quest. It's a very cute game, and it looks like it's going to be a lot of fun - however the frame rate is quite low - the controls feel highly sluggish and it seems that the characters are struggling to respond. Is this normal? I have all graphic options turned off, which helped, but there is still a considerable amount of delay when walking around the neighborhood.

My computer is definitely a bit older at this point (MacBook running 10.7.5 on a 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4gb of memory) , but it's higher than the basic game requirements listed on the HiB site by a few ticks, so am I doing something wrong, or just paying the price of not paying the price for a newer machine?

Thanks for reading!

While waiting for the Stacking crash issue to be fixed, I thought I'd try Costume Quest. It's a very cute game, and it looks like it's going to be a lot of fun - however the frame rate is quite low - the controls feel highly sluggish and it seems that the characters are struggling to respond. Is this normal? I have all graphic options turned off, which helped, but there is still a considerable amount of delay when walking around the neighborhood.

My computer is definitely a bit older at this point (MacBook running 10.7.5 on a 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4gb of memory) , but it's higher than the basic game requirements listed on the HiB site by a few ticks, so am I doing something wrong, or just paying the price of not paying the price for a newer machine?

Thanks for reading!

We released an update on Steam this morning that has a few optimizations to CQ's rendering (and fixes a couple gfx issues). We'll update the direct download version tomorrow or so.

If you've turned off the gfx options, the best bet is probably to lower the game's resolution. You might find that you can turn options on if the resolution is low enough. Season to taste :)

Also, try playing w/ the laptop plugged in. Often the system will throttle itself if you play off batter and that throttling will make for a lower framerate experience.

Hm, the game's already at the lowest resolution, and I almost never use my laptop unplugged, but I'll grab the Steam version and see if that helps. :D

Thanks so much for the reply, it's very much appreciated!

The Steam version is firmly planted on my HD, and at first, the game was responding very smoothly - great stuff! However, the performance deteriorated after Wren got her costume back and had to race the neighborhood bully. Perhaps there's a memory leak? My laptop started getting very hot at about the same time, so it was working pretty hard. Anyway, I'll let it cool down a bit and see if the problem persists.

maybe your laptop is throttling? my issue with costume quest is how slow to respond it is for changing directions. it's kind of baffling to me, like if you want to character to turn all the way around before moving, it should be handled with elegance, but it's not and just make's the game feel steps behind my intentions for moving around. i think that adds to the feeling of the sluggishness you're finding with costume quest