Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jensend

Image scaling by nearest neighbor ruins cave paintings

I bought The Cave recently; it's got a lot of brilliant ideas but seems unpolished, and some things drive me crazy. Here's one example that seems like it ought to be easy to fix.

The cave paintings are good artwork, but (at least at non-default resolutions) they're ruined by awful artifacts caused by nearest-neighbor scaling. DF should know better.

Naive linear scaling improves the situation tremendously. Linear scaling is not too great itself, but for these cartoony images the difference between it and actually-decent-but-more-expensive algorithms like Lanzcos is fairly minimal.

The intro/loading screens also have scaling issues- probably the same NN scaling - but I haven't investigated those.

Attachments: the cave paintings, which are in Packs\RgS_stuff, are natively 1024x512 (cp_tt_01.png). When you play the game at 1080p they're resized to 1612x806 and the nearest neighbor interpolation is horrid (screenshot.png). Linear interpolation (linear.png) is good enough to no longer be distracting or painful to the viewer.

You might be interested in reading this thread. It seems it's something DF is aware of and is planning to fix, but haven't prioritized yet.

Ah, hadn't found that thread before posting. (It veered off topic pretty fast though.)

DF Justin did say then that they didn't plan to fix it in the next patch, but that patch was released in Feb. This really is a very visually prominent problem. Every graphics stack has good bilinear interpolation/filtering/scaling routines. Since it's not like they're needing hundreds of images resized every second, even a very simplistic hand-rolled routine, which you could code up in just a handful of lines, would perform more than plenty fast enough.

Sign in to follow this