Double Fine Action Forums

I'm not that paranoid? Also not really sure what people are going to be looking at. There's not much to see. When my computer is on I'm usually sitting in front of it. Who is going to sell lo-res pictures of my bleary, bearded face?

i think in regards to xbox one they're not looking to sell pictures of your bearded face, they're looking to gather data about the demographics that are watching/playing whatever game. that kind of data is gold to advertisers. "Oh, it looks like there is a kid playing right now. Let's show him toy advertisements." "The data shows that this TV show is frequently watched by large groups of people. Let's display Doritos ads because they'll need snacks for their party."

I was talking about my latop's web camera and why anyone would want to hack into it. I understand the interest of Microsoft and their partners with the Kinect 2. But that's not a concern for me since in no way will I be purchasing that contraption.

Xbox finally answered our questions about used games:

Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

Oh shit man! We got permission to play our own games!

Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

In our role as a game publisher, Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers. Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this. In addition, third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends. Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners.

There goes Gamefly, Redbox, Gamestop, and Mom & Pop Video Game stores. This basically means PUBLISHERS control what I can do to my disks. Imagine what if Book Publishers did the same thing with books. I need to write a letter requesting permission to let my friend to borrow my dog-eared copy of "Game of Thrones?"

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

Also confirmed:

With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.

So that means leaving my Xbox home when I go adventuring in dail-up land when my wife & I goes house sitting.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

That's really awkward. Sounds like they've got the message, but still keep stuttering "but but but".

XBOX One is just weird. They take one step forward, and then two step backwards, and then just fall flat and tries to get up again.

But with the state of PC gaming now, I don't really see any need to buy a XBOX One, so it's mostly just fun to watch Microsoft trying to please everyone but not pleasing anyone. :)

I really wonder how big a factor the Kinect thing will be. Keep in mind - nobody gives a toss about watching you sitting on your couch being a lazy slop or taming your dragon, if anyone would want to see that omegle and chat roulette are happy to provide, so that's out, but the thought is just creeping some people out, but will that be enough for some to not buy it?

What i find interesting is that some people now pull out the same arguments as with Origin and Uplay: But Steam does it too! And i wonder if they ever looked at Steam, they pretty much make up for it by providing a great product with their platform, and they regularly have big sales, and always smaller offers, and even free weekends, 3i may not be able to buy used games, but i still can get games relatively soon for less money, and if you don't like it then there is still GOG, who may not have many AAA titles, but are certainly becoming a bigger competitor in the indie market. I see where they are coming from but it feels uninformed.

So as far as I can figure out, Xbox One to only have one game which only one person in the world can play, once. Might be slightly off base, there.

XBOX One is just weird. They take one step forward, and then two step backwards, and then just fall flat and tries to get up again.

They took a step forward? I must have missed that. :-/

sounds pretty stupid. now we wait and see how stupid sony is going to be in response.
Sony already gave their response. http://www.cinemablend.com/games/It-Official-PS4-Feature-Used-Game-DRM-Like-Xbox-One-56264.html

Basically, they won't require an internet connection and are leaving DRM up to the publishers. Contrary to popular belief, plenty of publishers don't use DRM. Even fucking Activision doesn't. It says a lot about how useless something is at making money when Activision hasn't been trying to do it.

Ehem, all major publishers have been using it. *points to PC market* But maybe it's a lot easier to screw over PC gamers than console gamers. No freaking idea why that would be though.

Ehem, all major publishers have been using it. *points to PC market* But maybe it's a lot easier to screw over PC gamers than console gamers. No freaking idea why that would be though.

The major difference is that the download/community services weΒ΄re used to now on PC where a step up from the crap we had to deal with before on PC. What happens on XBOX One is a step backward, especially with that crappy 24h online checkin control.

No no and fucking no. Obtrusive/unfaird DRM gave me alot more problems than stuff like StarForce or Securom, digital distribution as with the PC is a step up, but DRM that offers nothing in return is still bullshit.

I wasn't talking about using Steam. I was talking about crap like Uplay. Activision doesn't even have anything dumb like that.

Oh they do it too, for example the Blizzard Battle.net became a real pain when Activision took over, and look what they do with CoD, it's bad business practices all over, in addition to things some people don't see, like treating their employees badly, or to bring the issue home: Trying to sue Double Fine. Remember? Yes they don't have a dedicated thing like Uplay or Origin, but they have their feet in the door with Battle.net, and are in not a single way better than Ubi or EA, when it comes to basically anything.

I completely forgot about Battle.net. Probably because the last Blizzard game I played was Lost Vikings on the SNES. I also never said they were better than the other publishers. In fact, I think they are the worst.

Well, you haven't been playing much on the PC, i was basically there when they gone from Blizzard to Activision-Blizzard, and it was quite noticeable. Was playing WoW at the time, later Starcraft, which i endured, but with Diablo3 they totally lost me.

No no and fucking no. Obtrusive/unfaird DRM gave me alot more problems than stuff like StarForce or Securom, digital distribution as with the PC is a step up, but DRM that offers nothing in return is still bullshit.

Not sure I follow? Are you calling platforms like Steam more unfair than Securom and Starforce? Are you saying that Steam doesn't offer anything in return? Or are you talking about some other recent PC DRM like always online bullshit?

I fucking love Steam, one more purchase and i have 400 items in my library, though i still heavily disagree with Steams Offline mode, which only works "medium" well, but other than that it's the best there is. Uplay and Origin for example just don't offer that kind of service, and Battle.net is... Battle.net. But yes i had on numerous occasions issues with online "features", for example, when i got Anno 1404 i made an online profile, and i didn't really realize that i could only play when i logged in, then one day my router broke and i couldn't play. Just a while back something went wrong at Ubisoft which basically killed my online profile which had a couple hundred hours of progress, which basically caused me not to touch that game again.

Complaining over these things, and other stuff like always online mechanisms or the thing where you only get to install it on 3 "different" computers, sounds silly but in some cases people run into problems with those, and it ends up punishing honest customers, and that's unacceptable. Which reminds me of the time i experienced login issues and lag during solo-play in Diablo 3 because it also needs to be constantly online for singleplayer games, and basically lacks real offline play.

Oh well, i hate it, the whole lot of them, with the exception being Steam, and that could use some improvement too, though Steam is better than Securom or Starforce, i'd clearly prefer either of those methods to many of the other ways publishers protect their property these days.

Yeah, Steam doesn't have a good track record with its offline mode. I remember having to set up my phone to share the mobile network with my laptop to be able to put Steam into offline mode. Didn't they fix it so that you don't have to be online to do that a couple of months ago? I haven't tried it lately so I don't know how well it works. I've also read that you can only use offline mode for two weeks, and then you have to reconnect or set your system clock back to continue using it.

And have someone excuse me of being entitled? No thanks. Gonna stay home and read.

Those people are corporate shills. They're all over major gaming forums atm. Reddit, Neogaf, gamefaqs, etc... or they're mindless sheep who love to take it in the ass. There's microsoft bribing media and publishers/developer to only report on the Xbox One. When asked questions, they confuse or beat around the bush.

I see people defending the 24h online check. They claim that they somehow have constant stable internet connection. Whine about not being to acces Diablo3 servers then buy Simcity only to whine some more. Stop buying the damn games. I fell for it once, without checking whether Anno 2070 even required Uplay. Never buying Ubisoft games on PC again. I preordered Trials Evolution, the store page didn't tell me Uplay was necessary. Uplay then gets installed in the background without my knowledge. Glad I got a refund. and Valve had to change the store page to include Uplay requirement,

Not sure I follow? Are you calling platforms like Steam more unfair than Securom and Starforce? Are you saying that Steam doesn't offer anything in return? Or are you talking about some other recent PC DRM like always online bullshit?

"Bu but, Steam and Smarphones are only digital and have DRM" It's not just the sales. PC/Phone piracy is way too easy. Piracy isn't merely about the price, but about the service offered. The release of Bioshock Infinite saw distribution platforms fighting over your money, offering 3 games + prices lower than half the price of a new console game.

People buy console for the plug n play experience, and used games made it a lot cheaper. It's the sole reason I've been playing console games for years. 2-3 years ago I was convinced that Microsoft would push gaming further, the next generation. How wrong I was :(

I know I'm one of the only people here who is a big fan of these guys, but this video is fucking awesome! I really there was a Super Best Friends podcast or something.

There are rumours now that XBOX One will require a XBOX Live Gold subscription for you to be able to play your games.

There are rumours now that XBOX One will require a XBOX Live Gold subscription for you to be able to play your games.

The rumor I heard was you needed Gold to play 'free to play' games. Regular games that you buy with real money will work fine without Gold. Except for online play of course. Still need Gold for that.

Sign in to follow this