Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Help Us Help Broken Age

Hey, backers. We need your help. E3 is coming up--this time of year is big for getting the word out about our games. We want to make a splash with Broken Age. Of course, we already did a big reveal recently, with the teaser trailer, the website, the Game Informer story--so we needed a new angle.

Then we realized what really makes Broken Age unique: it's you. It's impossible to understand what we're trying to accomplish with the game itself without understanding the overwhelming community phenomenon that continues to make it all happen.

So here's what we're thinking: The new Horizon video will feature video from the game, but it also be full of videos of our amazing backers. If you want to be a part of it, read on.

BROKEN AGE BACKER VIDEOS

Until Friday, May 31, we're going to be accepting video submissions through YouTube. Excerpts from our favorites will be featured in our Broken Age presentation during the Horizon conference. Here are the details:

CONTENT: We want your Broken Age stories. Explain the project in your own words, and why you got involved. Recount your favorite moments from the documentary. Your favorite forum threads by Double Fine staffers or other backers. Maybe you've had a memorable online or real-world encounter with Tim or another DFer. Anything is fair game if it was meaningful to you, whether or not it's covered in this list. And wear your backer shirt if you've got one!

Also, 2PP would appreciate if you could keep your videos free of music, since they'll be compositing everything together--it makes things easier for them if they can start with raw unproduced material.

LENGTH: There's no hard length requirement, but brevity is your friend! The whole video is only going to be a few minutes long, so individual clips will be pretty short. 2PP will obviously be editing everything, and they're good at it, but boiling your thoughts down to the key points is a good aim.

SETTING: The videos themselves should be as simple or elaborate as you like. It can be just you in front of your webcam, or you on the observation deck of the Empire State Building, as long as the picture is good and the audio is strong and clear--not too much noise.

DELIVERY: Upload your video to a YouTube account. Post it in this thread, or directly to info@doublefine.com

Either way works, as long as you MAKE SURE THE VIDEOS ARE MARKED "UNLISTED", BUT NOT "PRIVATE"! That way, people with the link can view them, but nobody else will accidentally stumble onto them. This is important--we want this project to surprise everybody when we unveil it. After it's released, you can all mark your videos as public, so everyone can browse through them.

LEGAL MUMBO JUMBO: By providing us with a link to your Broken Age backer video, you are giving Double Fine permission that you control to use the video, and the rights to your image, likeness, and voice as recorded, for good and valuable consideration. You understand that they may be edited, copied, exhibited, published, or distributed, and waive the right to inspect or approve the finished product in which they may appear or not appear, at our unfettered discretion. You also understand that this material may be used in our marketing materials and other uses throughout the universe. (But hey, that's the point, right?)

ANY QUESTIONS? We'll be monitoring the submission thread and email address through Friday, May 31.

Oh man, I'll have to submit something! But what to even say? SO MANY OPTIONS.

Alright, let's do this.

Warning: I say at the beginning that I'm going to try to be brief. I am not brief.

Hope it's not too much of a rant.

Can we use the art from the game and the music from the doc?

If possible, it's probably better not to, because the 2PP guys will be editing all this together and they'll probably want to determine how best to add in music and visuals.

Can we use the art from the game and the music from the doc?

If possible, it's probably better not to, because the 2PP guys will be editing all this together and they'll probably want to determine how best to add in music and visuals.

Okay sweet.

So I have this idea, but I don't know if it's what you guys want.

I was going to do a 'how imagined a game is made before and after I saw the doc' video, highlighting cool parts of the doc that I remember, acted out by me.

Would this be something you'd show? Or is it way off what you're looking for and you want a clip easily editable into small chunks?

Damn it all, I've heard the call and now I have to answer it.

Lemme just drink a jug of coffee first. frumblegrumblerazza...

Hey guys, these are awesome so far! Thanks so much, we really appreciate it.

I just made some quick clarifications to the main post:

2PP would appreciate if you could keep your videos free of music, since they'll be compositing everything together--it makes things easier for them if they can start with raw unproduced material.

Also, there's no hard length requirement, but brevity is your friend! The whole video is only going to be a few minutes long, so individual clips will be pretty short. 2PP will obviously be editing everything, and they're good at it, but boiling your thoughts down to the key points is a good aim.

Here's mine:

I hope it inspires others to join in :D

You should use your animation skills to put a "Scott McLeod" of yourself doing the key points. (Yeah, I know that's a massive amount of work.. wishful thinking)

Now you guys get to see my silly mug talking bout' Broken Age and being a fanboy and all that dumb stuff. I tried looking more directly at the camera, but the iPad's lens is really off-center and hard to focus on.

Sign in to follow this