Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Project Update 7: 5/28/13

Hey guys sorry for the delay, but as I'm sure you all guessed, we were out yesterday for Memorial Day. I didn't get a chance to ask the team for handy bullet points, so here's a special edition paragraph style update from me!:

Last week we started a new 2 sprint with the goal of taking all designed areas of the Spaceship to Alpha. Progress is going really well in all disciplines and it's looking like we're on track to hit this goal. This area still needs to have secondary dialog written for item examinations and negative interactions, but everything else is looking really polished. I'm hoping we can HOF this area as soon as that secondary dialog gets in!

The audio team got together for a playthrough focusing on music integration and things are sounding great on that front. We have a list of queues that are still needed to finish up this area and have Peter working on those.

Our new UI artist has delivered his first two big chunks of UI work and everyone's pretty stoked on it. I think you guys will be too once you hear who we've got on it! We're doing a bit of iteration, but hopefully soon we can start integrating this into the game.

We'll be finishing up our two week spaceship sprint this Friday, so we've begun discussing what the next sprint will look like. The majority of the team will be rolling on to the intro to the girl's world. But we're also likely going to use this time to polishing gamewide systems like the player's navigation suite, implementing the new UI, and bug fixing.

Rescoping work is still continuing, but we're meeting tomorrow to discuss the work that's been done to gather data and present possible scenarios. The hope is that we can come out of this with a plan everyone is agreed on so we can start scheduling and working towards that.

Backer submissions are coming in here for our E3 video. 2PP is starting to parse it all and pull out scenes that they think will work well. Meanwhile we're cleaning up a few scenes and animations in the game that can be used for B-roll in the video.

Hey, Thanks for this Greg. You mentioned 'Item examinations' - does this mean there's going to be a look button in the game? I'd be glad if that was the case, because I think that's the only real, meaningful thing from the 'lots of verbs' days that I think it would be nice to still have around.

Looks like a great deal of awesome work is being done. Keep it up! Can't wait to see all the stuff you guys have lined up for E3, and of course can't wait to see the next 2PP documentary episode. :)

<3 "special edition paragraph style" update.

Super more interesting.

Can you give us an idea in terms of which "acts" of the game are completed? I guess that's the point of the "rescoping?" Is the spaceship/sacrifice area you refer to like an Act 1A/1B?

<3 "special edition paragraph style" update.

Super more interesting.

Agreed. I prefer this style! Talking about what's going on makes way more sense to me than a list of technical bullet points like "raycast traced the girl's vertex cloud".

Yup, love the paragraph style!

Nice to hear the spaceship area is approaching Alpha. Makes it feel like the boy's side of the story has caught up to the girl's side in terms of how work is progressing.

Nice update! That totally reminds me that I need to take video tomorrow for my submission of the E3 video. I really like the paragraph format as well.

Glad to hear you guys like paragraph style! I can totally try and keep it up if you'd prefer. We'll see how it goes!

Agreed. A lot of the bullet points don't make a lot of sense out of context, so it seems like a lot is being done, but it's hard to see where it fits into the picture. This gives a nice but brief idea of what everyone is up to. I think all people want is a sense of being aware of where the game is in development, week by week, and this gets that over nicely.

I'd like to see both the details from Greg and a bullet point from the team. The latter is interesting on a technical level, but the former does give a better idea of where things are going.

+1 for the paragraph style. Feels a bit more personal, although there's something to be said for the detailed bullet points. But sometimes I'm lost a little in those. But the updates are greatly appreciated!

Cheers for the update! I'm looking forward to the next episode of the documentary to see the new changes to the game. :)

Dialogue for negative interactions? Let me help you with that:

Primary Voice Actor: "Nope."

There! All done! Enjoy the HOF!

Glad to see that's even a thing, though. One of my favorite parts of a well-crafted adventure game is deliberately trying ALL THE THINGS with ALL OF THE OTHER THINGS, just to see what the writer had to say about it. In some cases, the challenge is trying NOT to accidentally use the Thing with the Other Thing That Advances the Plot, because then you miss out on the rest of the incidental dialogue.

Alas, nobody appreciates a good bullet point these days...

*Raises hand* I do, I do!

+1 for the paragraph style. Feels a bit more personal, although there's something to be said for the detailed bullet points. But sometimes I'm lost a little in those. But the updates are greatly appreciated!

and paragraphs make me feel a bit lost, until i put some effort to tease it out. bullet points are easy to read a easy to prioritize.

This is pretty great I've really loved following the development of this project . . . I was just wondering if you could do a post devoted to the "producer-y" things of the game design:

- Screenshots of your production schedule (spreadsheets?)

- How you breakdown tasks and assign it to team members

- more of the "boring" aspects of game management

I'm in school for game design, and I would love to see what works for you, so hopefully I can apply techniques to my next project!

Thanks!!

Sign in to follow this