Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cecil

Double Fine are announcing something new tomorrow

Tim Schafer on twitter: "Excited about announcing something new tomorrow! Not a sequel or a port. Something NEW. I might even put on new underwear."

Brad Muir on twitter: "You guys there's a big @DoubleFine announcement tomorrow! Won't you join me in the a.m. to check it out? :D! #secrets"

So, what can it be? :)

I love a Double Fine announcement, especially when it's something new. I'm hoping that either they're announcing one of the Amnesia Fortnight prototypes in development as a full game (although I expect that might take longer to actually happen), or it's going to be something new and cool we don't even know about at all. That's what I like most about Double Fine, they're always doing some surprising, interesting thing, even if it's not the thing I'm into.

So, what can it be? :)

Having read the tweet i now feel like a twat for suggesting it's the company going bankrupt because of Kickstarter. Well it's certainly not Psychonauts 2, maybe they picked up on my game idea about a pair of big pliers who has a trans-gender pet hamster getting vigorously petted to death by an alien from the planet neutralia. Or maybe it's just one of the AFN prototypes going into actual production.

I'd sort of like to see a game with Iron Maiden in it, or tulips - but not both. o.O

If it's a new game without a PC version, then I'm going to yell at Brad Muir until he ends a tweet with :( instead :D

I think it's going to be one of the prototypes. I remember Lee Petty saying they've at least been showing Autonomous to people, and Brad Muir worked on that as well. That combined with Lee's tweet that this week is going to be 'nuts' would lead me to Autonomous. And it would be awesome.

JP and Brandon have also left the Reds team, so maybe they're making all the AF prototypes :).

I think it's going to be one of the prototypes. I remember Lee Petty saying they've at least been showing Autonomous to people, and Brad Muir worked on that as well. That combined with Lee's tweet that this week is going to be 'nuts' would lead me to Autonomous. And it would be awesome.

JP and Brandon have also left the Reds team, so maybe they're making all the AF prototypes :).

Ooh, I missed Lee's tweet. That's exciting, I hope you're right. That game is an absolute natural for becoming something released on a kind of Minecraft model where it gets released in beta and improved and developed as time goes on. And it already looked amazing for AF, it'd look phenomenal with some more development.

On a first view Autonomous looks less DF due to its more sterile character but it was well executed, had a unique touch and i liked Oliver's work on the shaders. For a final game i would prefer if they could replace the visual style. Just like with pure black and white games, where i after some time simply miss colours apart from the shades of gray, the TRON look feels limiting too. Black Lake is the safer bet if you're more into a classic DF production (although from the video the game mechanics weren't this clear) which are more character & story driven on a first glance but then again who says that they won't spice up Autonomous with characters and a story as well. This could be fun if you would embed it into a nice sf story from the 60s.

Anyway, whilst they differ in their potentials and scopes each AF game could be great to meh depending on its specific execution.

From the other prototypes i still would like to see a story single player driven Brazen.

But maybe it will be something completely different.

Well depends what time zone he was in what time it was and what time zone he was talking about.

He's in the Pacific time zone, so I assume he's talking about the Pacific time zone. Which also happens to be my time zone. :P

Maybe they've piled up all their ideas and are making a massive game to rule them all: Brazen White Birch hacking and slashing in an Autonomous Spacebase with a Black Lake.

If I had to make a guess, I think it might be Brazen.

EDIT: Tim already confirmed on his Twitter that it isn't that. He also seemed to imply that it's TOTALLY new, as in, not any of the prototypes. Hmm...

EDIT2: Whatever it is, it's going to have a Linux version. So, we do know that it will be on PC. Tim's dropping all sorts of hints on his Twitter.

Please, oh please release IB2 or some spin off. I get it, ms owns the IP, but please just buy it or make a legal spin off. It amazes me when some companies sit on a potential gold mine for themselves and don't act on it for reasons that are easily arbitrated.

If I had to make a guess, I think it might be Brazen.

EDIT: Tim already confirmed on his Twitter that it isn't that. He also seemed to imply that it's TOTALLY new, as in, not any of the prototypes. Hmm...

EDIT2: Whatever it is, it's going to have a Linux version. So, we do know that it will be on PC. Tim's dropping all sorts of hints on his Twitter.

Yup Tim is now saying it's something they've never talked about publicly before. So exciting.

Backing this and buying the Humble Bundle have alleviated my leftover guilt from winning my Broken Age Backer status for free.

That was some pretty fast turnaround on new Arrested Development references. :P

(Backed! :D)

Ah crap. I haven't watched them yet (don't have Netflix). Is it spoilers? :(

Ah crap. I haven't watched them yet (don't have Netflix). Is it spoilers? :(

Nah, it's just a minor joke used in the first episode. Nothing plot-specific.

Seems like Massive Chalice is drawing from Fire Emblem, X-Com and Crusader Kings 2 and I am 100% in love with this.

I can't back this until June 20th (yep, PhD student who can't make rent right now, but I got a day or two to sort it out), but I wanted to voice extreme support for MASSIVE CHALICE. I don't know where to begin about what's amazing about this. It feels like I can just say "everything!" and be done, but that would make for a rather poor posting.

Everything Brad said owned me rotten. The heritage mechanic sounds fresh and awesome. That PERMADEATH word is weirdly adorable, in spite of its MF METAL. That art is all gorgeous. Heroes living and dying and procreating piques the interest, and tickles the brains for all the possibilities.... (Granted, I also geeked out at the "turn based" bit, and DAT STRATEGY written all 3D with a dry-erase marker!)

So, thank you for:

(1) talking about gameplay first;

(2) taking creative risks;

(3) going to Kickstarter with this;

(4) putting Brad Muir on the project, that dude is a righteous dude;

(5) making me go all nutshit for a game - between the PS4 / XBOX ONE reveals, IT FELT BAD MAN.

Now I'll stfu on here and go evangelize this kickstarter to everyone I know. Best of luck, love you DOUBLE FINE.

I can't back this until June 20th

Payments to Kickstarter aren't made until the campaign is over - that's in 28 days, after June 20th. So if you know you'll have the money by then you can support the project now.

The heritage mechanic sounds fresh and awesome.

Actually, it sounds similar to the ancestor mechanic in Torchlight.

The heritage mechanic sounds fresh and awesome.

Actually, it sounds similar to the ancestor mechanic in Torchlight.

I didn't mean that we never seen ancestry / heritage before in games. The FF Tactics / XCOM - esque turn based strategy games don't have one implemented the same way.

By "Actually..." do you mean to disagree with my claim that it sounds fresh and awesome? I assume everyone reading my nonsense understands that it means to me. Not in an absolute sense. I did not mean to imply you should find it awesome nor fresh. Sorry if I sounded more prescriptive than intended. Just excited about this.

Sign in to follow this