Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

A New Double Fine Kickstarter

That's right--we just launched a new Kickstarter campaign! But it's not for Broken Age. (Although we do have a fun Broken Age live art stream planned with artist Levi Ryken today—details below!)

If you've been keeping up with the documentary, you're probably aware Double Fine is a multi-team studio, which is why certain Broken Age team members have come and gone over the course of development to help out wherever they're most needed.

Recently, Iron Brigade project lead Brad Muir has been rounding up a team here at Double Fine to develop a new tactical strategy fantasy game—and we want to get it made without a publisher, just like you proved we could do with Broken Age. Enter MASSIVE CHALICE.

MASSIVE CHALICE

Here's how we're putting it: "If turn-based tactics and feudal fantasy had a lovechild, and that offspring founded a mighty century-spanning dynasty, it would be MASSIVE CHALICE."

The game is structured into two main layers. In the strategy layer, you oversee your kingdom, arrange royal marriages, conduct research, and make far-reaching decisions that will determine the fate of your legacy. In the tactics layer, you fight brutal turn-based battles to defend your kingdom using small squads of customizable heroes. And along the way, you'll see your heroes age, gain experience and power, and eventually die—but not before passing their traits and skills onto their offspring.

It's a formula Brad and his team can't wait to make a reality, and they need your help to do it.

MASSIVECHALICE.COM

WHY ANOTHER KICKSTARTER?

As you know, it's Double Fine's goal to remain completely independent, and responsible to its fans above all else. You allowed us to achieve that goal with Broken Age, and now we want to take it even further.

The Broken Age team comprises only about a third of our multi-team studio. We have a lot of talented artists, engineers, and designers who have been rolling off other projects like The Cave, Dropchord, and Brütal Legend PC, and they're ready to hit the ground running on MASSIVE CHALICE.

There's lots more to say about MASSIVE CHALICE, but we'll let you read it for yourself. Head over to the Kickstarter project page to watch the pitch video and learn more. It's going to be good times!

WATCH LEVI PAINT

Levi Ryken is one of our talented Broken Age artists, and he is going to paint for you! Right in front of your virtual faces!

At 2pm Pacific Time today, May 30 (that's 5pm Eastern, 9pm GMT), Levi will be live on our Twitch.tv channel, exposing himself for all to see. Well, exposing his amazing talent, anyway. So tune in for a rare chance to see Broken Age character art being created in real time—and if you miss it, it will stay archived on our Twitch.tv channel to watch at your convenience.

BACKER E3 VIDEOS

You still have a day left to contribute a video to our Broken Age E3 backer initiative--for more details, head over to the official thread:

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/9256/

I'm in. I've been having a wonderful time with Broken Age and its documentary, knowing that the 2pp guys are in makes me happy. Will they release monthly (kinda) episodes or a standard, post-release "making of" video?

p.s. : Also, Brad said "Xcom".

p.p.s. : That might be an excuse. Everytime "kickstarter" "double fine" and "2pp documentary" are in the same sentence, I'm in.

p.p.p.s. : Not every single time actually.

Backed for $50. Now I don'r feel so guilty about winning my Slacker Backer status for free.

One thing to clarify, guys--2PP's main priority will still be Broken Age, so they won't be able to do these huge in-depth monthly episodes for MASSIVE CHALICE. The documentary will be more like shorter dev diaries for this one. But they'll still be awesome!

3,794 backers

$143,125 pledged of $725,000 goal

28 days to go

So... the first goal is 400k in 9 hours right? :)

Backed!

Not my favourite genre, but I guess 20 dollars won't bankrupt me.

You realize though that you can't just namedrop X-COM and get away with it, right? People will have certain expectations.

Looks like a more stripped back 'hey we need cash give us a hand?' thing rather than the full blown community project that Broken Age's Kickstarter was. Which is probably a good thing really, since the costs associated with the peripheral aspects of Broken Age were pretty huge (from what we've seen). I'm also liking that there are fewer tiers and no massive list of stretch goals, it's a cool stripped back approach. So minimalistic and edgy. Shame I can't afford the tshirt tier this time though, that shirt is pimp.

The game itself is a really awesome concept. I love games like XCOM and Fire Emblem (even though I can never find myself getting fully into them, or ever getting good at them), so a new spin on that is great news. Will watch intently.

It's certainly different than Broken Age, except for Lee, he looks exactly the same :)

Turn based strategy games, you have found one of my other weaknesses.

Damn you people.

But it seems like another fun game, and so far i liked all your other projects.

Can't wait to see how it develops.

PS. I noticed the prices for the rewards went up, which is fine because i still have the feeling i didn't payed enough for all that i got/will get with my broken age reward and i rather see it go to the game.

One thing to clarify, guys--2PP's main priority will still be Broken Age, so they won't be able to do these huge in-depth monthly episodes for MASSIVE CHALICE. The documentary will be more like shorter dev diaries for this one. But they'll still be awesome!

Then that $50 tier is pretty steep. There really should be a $25 one that's just like Adventure's $30 tier (but with lesser documentaries).

Hmm... Massive Chalice... cue inevitable jokes about big cups.

Well... on the kickstarter site it does say that the game is inspired by Game of Thrones :)

Happy to help out. Even though I'm more of an RPG and Adventure type gamer, I love fantasy settings as well as turn-based tactics, so this should be fun.

Well... on the kickstarter site it does say that the game is inspired by Game of Thrones :)

Well then -- this game will obviously be about huge... tracts of land.

Armikrog and now this?! Jeeze, I go back to college and then when I'm suddenly tight on funds the really cool Kickstarters come out :shut:

Then that $50 tier is pretty steep. There really should be a $25 one that's just like Adventure's $30 tier (but with lesser documentaries).

This. When It's all said and done, I think I will have gotten and appreciated more out of the 2PP videos from broken age then the game itself. (Though I will enjoy the game as well!). That's just a testimate to the quality of both the production value of the videos, and the behind the scenes content that Double Fine has been willing to share with us (I would totally subscribe to the Double Fine Network, on television/Netflix). If the documentation would be Broken age quality/quantity but focused on a Tactical RPG (SRPG? TRPG? Tactics?) that would be amazing. But the higher 50$ price point for it is already making me think twice, and now the news that it would be but a shadow of broken age...

The game itself though, tactical strategy rpg's are my wheel house! When they talk about characters dieing and passing on their traits to their lineage though, I wonder how they are going to balance character development and mission difficulty. One of the biggest challenges/dragging points of many tactics games is how to develop new characters from level 1 when the rest of your characters already have a lot of investment... and most all of the previous games dealing with this can't help but make it at least somewhat of a fiddly grind. Though this game sounds like it is using that character development issue as one of its main content and design vectors, so it will be interesting to see its take on the matter.

Narrativly the lineage aspect sounds really interesting. It sounds almost not entirely unlike Disgaea in that you can level a character up to 9999 even, then ascend it to a level 1 of another class (or upgraded version of the same class) and bank stat points. Only instead it is happening on a time table the player is not in control of, (and framed in a narratively interesting way) so it adds a component of resource management. I just wonder what happens when my level 50 veteran retires, and passes on his traits such that is son at level 10 is as strong as a level 30... how strong will the enemies be that I am facing in the next battle?

P.S. Great Arrested Development reference in the kickstarter video :D

Backed!!!

As a lover of all things turn-based strategy, this was a no-brainer. :D

The plan with the 2 Player Productions behind-the-scenes is to let everyone watch streaming versions on the web.

The $50 tier gets you HD downloadable "not always online" versions of the videos. Hope that clears some things up!

The game sounds a little like say Crusader Kings, but with more twists and more epic and fun (and I've liked Crusader kings 2!) Backed.

Smiles

Going to back this soon. Brad is awesome, he deserves my money :D

Also 2PP.

And XCOM

And Crusader Kings

And permadeath with aging

SO MUCH AWESOME

Yay, a chance to throw money at Brad's happy face! :D

Very cool :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

seen the promotional video, funded the game, went back to see the broken age backers videos. I am a busy man.

Yay, a chance to throw money at Brad's happy face! :D

He sure has the face of someone who gets thrown money (and possibly kisses) at on a regular basis.

It's unfortunately just not possible to do another documentary on the level of the Broken Age one--because 2PP is still working on the Broken Age one! Those guys already put in really long hours (seriously, it's impressive) to do what they do, and there's just no way we could pile another equally ambitious documentary on top of that.

But these guys don't make videos that aren't fantastic, so I'm really excited for the MASSIVE CHALICE ones no matter what!

Sign in to follow this