Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

A New Double Fine Kickstarter

It's unfortunately just not possible to do another documentary on the level of the Broken Age one--because 2PP is still working on the Broken Age one! Those guys already put in really long hours (seriously, it's impressive) to do what they do, and there's just no way we could pile another equally ambitious documentary on top of that.

But these guys don't make videos that aren't fantastic, so I'm really excited for the MASSIVE CHALICE ones no matter what!

Plus those videos are more likely to have Brad Muir in them which just raises their awesome quotient by an exponential factor.

I will back this, and I bet I can hook several of my friends who are total nerds for that kind of game.

Double Fine could seriously branch out and form a side business where they just teach other people how to make a good pitch video.

Also, I loved seeing all the Double Fine employees playing the various characters, although I hope Lee doesn't feel like he was typecast. ;-)

Playing the Psychonauts music while reviewing Brad's brain scan was a nice touch.

*edit*

WAIT A MINUTE. Brad's not an artist! That isn't Brad's arm! Who is Brad's arm double? Do all DF employees get an arm double?

Backed.

And if DF's third development team comes up with a really awesome idea that publishers ignore, then I'll back that project as well, when/if the time comes.

You know, I saw Brad's name all over this Kickstarter and secretly hoped that Brazen was being kickstarted, but after watching the video I was sold on the idea.

I think it's a brilliant idea for a game, and if done correctly (which is fair to expect, given Double Fine's track record), it should be extremely unique and a blast to play.

Backed within the first hour, woot woot!

*If I may make one small nag/complaint/something, I wish I could get *something* physical at the $100 level, even if it's something small. With the DFA Kickstarter, the t-shirt was a huge factor in my decision to make the jump from pledging $60 up to $100, and right now with Massive Chalice I feel like I'm sort of on the fence about whether to go for $100 and bankrupt myself or to just pledge $50. I'll probably end up backing at $100 anyway, but I feel like maybe there isn't quite as much "value" here. Then again, maybe I'm just spoiled - I'm still getting what's sure to be an excellent series of videos and a terrific new game.

On a more positive note (because honestly I'm stoked about this game and it doesn't deserve a single negative-sounding post), I can honestly say that I fully intend to back any game Double Fine comes up with.

Just backed this. Excited to get a t-shirt!!!

Now all you have to do is make a great game for me. Not that hard, eh? ^^

And if DF's third development team comes up with a really awesome idea that publishers ignore, then I'll back that project as well, when/if the time comes.

I'm kind of hoping they're hard at work on the Amnesia Fortnight prototypes, as I'd really love to see those get made into full games. Especially The White Birch, Hack 'n' Slash and Black Lake in no particular order.

the lineage part of the game sort of reminds me of rome total war and some other games i can remember the names of but with more control (plus cool relics). one question on the whole permadeath thing, does that mean no save/load function? because if it does please add an option for saving and loading, because to me the ability to save and load = more fun

It's not my favorite genre of game, but there's just no way I can say no to Brad's smiling face. So, backed it!

My favourite two genres of games in one and Brad's awesomeness? Shut up and take my money!

Edit - You guys really need to do Black Lake, then I would give you all the dollars. I had very low expectations for it, and it turned out to be my favourite prototype. Also, Levi seems like a really awesome dude.

Was that Mr Petty as the publisher in the video?
Yes. (If that was a rhetorical question, feel free to mock me now.)

Just thought, those of us on here that have backed MASSIVE CHALICE are now Double Backers of Double Fine.

There's a t-shirt there somewhere...

Baked but I hope we'll see a bit much of the game during the Kickstarter campaign than during the campaign for Broken Age (at least, we already got a name :-) ).

Just thought, those of us on here that have backed MASSIVE CHALICE are now Double Backers of Double Fine.

There's a t-shirt there somewhere...

Maybe a t-shirt that you can turn inside-out and wear on both sides, with Broken Age on one side and MASSIVE CHALICE on the other.

Backed, I love the idea.

I guess soon we'll be paying monthly fees to keep you creating awesome games forever ;D

Or... well.. until you all die or something.

They will never die. When their bodies start to grow old they'll just insert their brains into brain tanks and make excellent games until the end of times.

Also they will achieve world domination.

They will never die. When their bodies start to grow old they'll just insert their brains into brain tanks and make excellent games until the end of times.

Also they will achieve world domination.

PSYCHONAUTS 2 PLOT!

You heard is here first.

But these guys don't make videos that aren't fantastic, so I'm really excited for the MASSIVE CHALICE ones no matter what!

You ain't just whistling dixie! I've become a huge fan of 2PP these last few months! They have done an amazing job on this Broken Age documentary and the one they made on Minecraft / Mojang was equally excellent!

It's unfortunately just not possible to do another documentary on the level of the Broken Age one--because 2PP is still working on the Broken Age one! Those guys already put in really long hours (seriously, it's impressive) to do what they do, and there's just no way we could pile another equally ambitious documentary on top of that.

2PP are amazing, but Brad walking us around what's being done like Greg did for AF would be totally cool too.

Hey Brad. Your idea sounds super-badass. I'm in! :-]

One thing to clarify, guys--2PP's main priority will still be Broken Age, so they won't be able to do these huge in-depth monthly episodes for MASSIVE CHALICE. The documentary will be more like shorter dev diaries for this one. But they'll still be awesome!

Backed, but that is very disappointing.

One thing to clarify, guys--2PP's main priority will still be Broken Age, so they won't be able to do these huge in-depth monthly episodes for MASSIVE CHALICE. The documentary will be more like shorter dev diaries for this one. But they'll still be awesome!

I think it's best if we don't turn DF into reality TV. It can't be healthy having cameras around all the time.

The 2PP guys have some awesome stuff in mind for MASSIVE CHALICE, so if you've enjoyed the DFA and Amnesia Fortnight videos, you'll dig these as well. One of the great opportunities with this game is that since it is super mechanics-based, we'll be able to talk about way more things without stepping into spoiler territory.

It would be nice if someone from double fine could answer me if you will offer paypal payments for massive chalice when you have reached the funding goal. :)

I am a direct and honest person, so that's the feedback you can expect from me.

Personally, I think it's in bad form to launch another kickstarter when you haven't delivered on the first. I am having a terrific time following the development of 'Broken Age' and fully expect it to be an amazing game when it is released. That doesn't change my impression that it's tacky to be back at the coffers asking for your fans to support another project on the heels of an incomplete one.

I am actually looking forward to supporting another project from DoubleFine. I hoped you would launch another Kickstarter campaign I could get behind. If it were the day following Broken Age's release I would have been thrilled. The timing of this does sap some of my enthusiasm, though.

I'll consider supporting the project once I get the bad taste out of my mouth... I'm not sure why this bugs me so much, but it does. OTOH supporting 'Broken Age' so far has been more fun than I anticipated and I do expect a great game. Even if 'Broken Age' is terrible I also feel my money has been well spent with the documentary alone. I've actually adopted some ideas I picked off watching the videos and implemented them within my development group. Crazy, I know...

Even though I am clearly a little bit bitter about the timing I still want to wish you the best. Good Luck and hopefully my attitude will come around soon. ;)

I am a direct and honest person, so that's the feedback you can expect from me.

Personally, I think it's in bad form to launch another kickstarter when you haven't delivered on the first.

I'm curious Zoop, and others who hold a similar opinion, and would like to pose to you a hypothetical situation.

Let's say DF had not done any crowdfunding and stuck with the traditional model for releasing games. Let's also say that they announced that they were working on "Next Doublefine Game!" to the world and said release date is 18 months from the announcement. Now let's fast forward 12 months from that announcement and they say that another team is working on another new game! They have not yet released "Next Doublefine Game!", but they announce they have another game in the works. Would this situation upset you?

Sign in to follow this