Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gsm

MASSIVE CHALICE - are you backing?

Are you going to be a MASSIVE CHALICE backer?  

426 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to be a MASSIVE CHALICE backer?

• Yes, already a backer.
    • Yes, I intend to be a backer.
    • I would, but it’s too expensive.
    • No, this one is enough for me.
    • I haven’t decided yet, maybe I’ll be a slacker backer.
    • Kickstarter? Polls? What is this, like, 2012?

So it appears we are facing another kickstarter.

This is a great chance to have a poll. What do you think? Are you going to be a double double-fine backer?

Am I the only one who feels a little uncomfortable being asked to back another game when we haven't had this one yet? I'd kinda like to see how this one works out before I decide...

Am I the only one who feels a little uncomfortable being asked to back another game when we haven't had this one yet? I'd kinda like to see how this one works out before I decide...

You must feel pretty uncomfortable the whole day with all those games up on kickstarter.

Just relax, lean back, and if you think this one is not for you then just don't back it.

That video was kind of awful up until the last two minutes where they finished the whole Jojo The Piano Playing Monkey song and dance and got to the point. I love DoubleFine and all the peeps there, but that was just over the top.

At first I felt as Cantisque does but then I came to this conclusion: Why not do a Kickstarter? Massive Chalice must not have any external funding at this point so would Double Fine be any worse off funding falls short and they have to cancel? Sure they'll be bummed but basically, it'll either get funded or it won't.

I think what got me over my initial feeling was this thought: they're not necessarily asking me, or even Broken Age backers, they're asking people who would be interested in backing the game. There's lots of people out there, most of whom didn't back Broken Age. No biggie?

I don't really get what the game is haha. If it needs backing later on (falling short on a specific goal or something) I'll probably dip in, but for now, no.

I backed it because I like the sound of the idea and then I watched the video. Almost threw my wallet at my monitor.

Video was great, it's not really my sort of game or I would back.

Or if I wasn't broke I'd back just to support DF. Maybe next kickstarter!

I'm skipping this one. Maybe once I've played Shadowrun Returns (X-Com style game that I backed on Kickstarter) and Crusader Kings II (someone gifted it to me a while back), I'll decide that those mechanics are the best thing ever and buy the game. But for now I'm not sure whether I will enjoy those mechanics or not.

I missed DFA and had to settle for Slacker Backer...

Also recent projects like TUG I couldn't fund because it didn't fall into a time where I had money...

...however the time for redemption is now!

I'm not gonna just settle for the base minimum as usual... no instead I plan to give my biggest Kickstarter backing yet!

One month, one bloodline, $100; House Yocca Or Bust! :)

I knew DF was planning to launch another Kickstarter but I didn’t expect it to be this soon.

In any case, no I’m not backing. The short of it is: I have no reason to.

The long of it:

For one thing DF didn’t handle the backer experience as well as I hoped with DFA, some will agree, some will disagree, and that’s fine, it only matters how I feel about it since is my money we’re talking about here. No need to go through particular grievances, fact of the matter is, I don’t feel like I’d be getting what I want, using this project as a comparison, by paying for this game well, well in advance, in regards to getting an inside to the game’s development, and all that fluff, also I don’t care as much about that anymore, in general.

The other thing is, from a managerial perspective, I don’t like how DF handled things, over budget and over time with this project, when other, less experienced studios have by all means done better on both counts. I wouldn’t hold that against them as a Studio, because it happens, way too much in this industry, way more than it should by any right, but it also does not inspire confidence, to give money, in advance, again, not knowing if they’re going to be enough or not, and if next time they’d be able to supplement it successfully or not. Is just not something I would want to go through again willingly.

Regarding the game it self, I find it very uninteresting, so uninteresting in fact I can’t be bothered to watch the launch video and that’s a first, probably because DF is not known for their strategy games, both Brutal Legend and Iron Brigade were glorified Tower Defence games than actual RTS or TBS and this game looks like is trying to be The Banner Saga only far, far less interesting and with not as an appealing art.

Having said all that I’m one of those people who gave money for Wasteland 2, and then went ahead and gave even more money for Torment, so the fact that Broken Age is not out yet, by itself is not a deterrent for pledging, however, Brian Fargo has repeatedly stated that he does not care about appealing to a mass market audience with those games, and is all about appeasing the RPG niche market. DF by it’s actions with this project has told me that they really , really want that mass market money and they are willing to make compromises for it (one click interface, example) which is completely fine, so do most developers, but I will not let you use my money for it, there’s already a lot of people catering to the mass market, if I have to pay for a game a year in advance it may as well be catered to me.

To be absolutely fair, this game is not done yet and by all means it may, actually prove to form despite what we seen/heard so far and any impressions it created, but that’s the risk you’re taking when you are launching another Kickstarter when your last project is not complete yet, you will be judged on incomplete data and things that by all means may not be correct.

Regardless, I bear no ill will to DF in general and I wish them luck with this endeavor even if I’m not going to be supporting it, and though changing my mind about it will be close to impossible given all the above, I may actually buy the game on release if it starts looking interesting by then and I’m still alive.

Regardless, I bear no ill will to DF in general and I wish them luck with this endeavor even if I’m not going to be supporting it, and though changing my mind about it will be close to impossible given all the above, I may actually buy the game on release if it starts looking interesting by then and I’m still alive.

I respect your well-stated opinion, hope you do come around, and I drink to your health and the health of the game!

Having said all that I’m one of those people who gave money for Wasteland 2, and then went ahead and gave even more money for Torment, so the fact that Broken Age is not out yet, by itself is not a deterrent for pledging, however, Brian Fargo has repeatedly stated that he does not care about appealing to a mass market audience with those games, and is all about appeasing the RPG niche market. DF by it’s actions with this project has told me that they really , really want that mass market money and they are willing to make compromises for it (one click interface, example) which is completely fine, so do most developers, but I will not let you use my money for it, there’s already a lot of people catering to the mass market, if I have to pay for a game a year in advance it may as well be catered to me.

To be absolutely fair, this game is not done yet and by all means it may, actually prove to form despite what we seen/heard so far and any impressions it created, but that’s the risk you’re taking when you are launching another Kickstarter when your last project is not complete yet, you will be judged on incomplete data and things that by all means may not be correct..

I agree on most of your counts, but the section I do disagree on is when you say Double Fine is trying to cater to the "mass market." For instance, a point-and-click graphical adventure game is not the way to gain the mass market. Tim Schafer has said that he's treating Broken Age "like the next game I would have made after Grim Fandango." Grim Fandango being a game with a one-click interface, and won Game Of The Year. I see Broken Age is the next logical step, and not a Machinarium rip-off as what some others may think.

And, to be fair, Double Fine hasn't gone over budget yet; They're just projected to.

To be absolutely fair, this game is not done yet and by all means it may, actually prove to form despite what we seen/heard so far and any impressions it created, but that’s the risk you’re taking when you are launching another Kickstarter when your last project is not complete yet, you will be judged on incomplete data and things that by all means may not be correct..

I agree on most of your counts, but the section I do disagree on is when you say Double Fine is trying to cater to the "mass market." For instance, a point-and-click graphical adventure game is not the way to gain the mass market. Tim Schafer has said that he's treating Broken Age "like the next game I would have made after Grim Fandango." Grim Fandango being a game with a one-click interface, and won Game Of The Year. I see Broken Age is the next logical step, and not a Machinarium rip-off as what some others may think.

And, to be fair, Double Fine hasn't gone over budget yet; They're just projected to.

Also to be fair, the interface is not finalised, the one that Game Informer played with was just a placeholder.

The other thing is, from a managerial perspective, I don’t like how DF handled things, over budget and over time with this project, when other, less experienced studios have by all means done better on both counts. I wouldn’t hold that against them as a Studio, because it happens, way too much in this industry, way more than it should by any right, but it also does not inspire confidence, to give money, in advance, again, not knowing if they’re going to be enough or not, and if next time they’d be able to supplement it successfully or not. Is just not something I would want to go through again willingly.

But isnt that just a misunderstanding? They finished one part of the game to estimate the cost of developing the game with the full scope and that efficiency, and came to the conclusion that the kickstarter money wouldn't be enough for that. And are using all available options to solve that.

For me, it doesn't seem like anything strange at all, not a managerial mistake or anything. It's pretty much just any project with a big scope.

I respect your well-stated opinion, hope you do come around, and I drink to your health and the health of the game!

Hear! Hear!

The rest of replies I got are kinda answered already in my original post if you read carefully, in addition, opening a book (ha! that makes me sound old) on economics or business management may help you see where I'm coming from in regards to budget.

To add to that I would suggest consumers to get better informed on how businesses and corporations run in general, it will make you look the world with a different eye, corporations get away with all manner of things they shouldn't have because of how ignorant the average consumer is. (This last part is an off-topic suggestion not directly related to this project or DF)

Hear! Hear!

The rest of replies I got are kinda answered already in my original post if you read carefully, in addition, opening a book (ha! that makes me sound old) on economics or business management may help you see where I'm coming from in regards to budget.

To add to that I would suggest consumers to get better informed on how businesses and corporations run in general, it will make you look the world with a different eye, corporations get away with all manner of things they shouldn't have because of how ignorant the average consumer is. (This last part is an off-topic suggestion not directly related to this project or DF)

A big reason doublefine is going over budget with broken age is probably not mismanagement but they want the game a higher quality then they can afford with the kickstarter money. Because the game has such high importance for double fine.

Totally backed it. Not because of the game, but because my love for Double Fine and the way they are trying to make the games industry how it should be.

...The other thing is, from a managerial perspective, I don’t like how DF handled things, over budget and over time with this project.

I think that's quite an unfair thing to say.

Over time - Double Fine made it very clear from the time the Kickstarter wound up that they would be putting a lot more time and effort into the project, due to getting a lot more money than they had asked for, so they had the ability to make it a much larger project. As far as I'm aware, they have not announced a due date at all. The estimated date on kickstarter was only relevant for the little $400,000 game they thought they might be making. They're really not over time.

Over money - I assume you're referring to the documentary episode where they sit down and start deciding what will get trimmed to make the game fit in the budget? Honestly, I think a lot of people misinterpreted that. I saw it as being similar to the way I create a pen and paper roleplay character. You sit down and put down all the skills, traits, abilities and stuff that you want for your character. Then you work out how many points you're over the limit. Then you remove the less important ones until you have a good character that's going to work within the rules. I saw their process as being much like that. The game is already well into development, which is important because they know what's working and what isn't working, and what direction they need to take. They have the list of all the awesome things they want to do. Then they sit down with the budget and figure out what they need to trim out from the wishlist to make it all work. It's a necessary step, and it's not the unexpected tragic mismanagement that a whole bunch of people seemed to think.

Then there's the fact that they haven't actually spent their budget for the project. So, I think it's really unfair to say that this project is over budget.

Worse time to be recently out of a job! I'd maybe back a higher amount for the booty! But I'd say I'll go for one of the lower tiers. Love the idea! Can't wait to contribute my unemployment benefits towards this number!

@Arenegeth

Hmm, i think DF does a good job with the DFA.

It's not perfect and there are a couple of things which could be done better here and there but overall i'm quite happy with the way things are rolling. The game seems to come along and they seem to care. It might not be the game i'm interested in the most (or the title i would choose ;O) but that was a risk which they communicated right from the start. They are often transparent with the production and are mostly comunicative. The videos are a lot better than expected. They delivered the physical goods as far as they were available. If problems showed up they and/or fangamer instantly tried to help and solved the problem. ...

They seem to need more money than other developers might need but at the end of the day i'm sure you'll also notice the difference. I always was hoping for something unique and awesome again (not awesome in this overused video games industry sense but in a more down to earth sense) and these things often cost some money as well (getting this tiny little extra bit right can take some money, f.e. just take a look at the technical decisions they've made), plus running a studio of a certain size also isn't the cheapest way of producing video games, especially in SF, but it also enables them to do things smaller teams normally aren't able to do, exceptions proof the rule.

I don't know a little bit tweaking here and there but beside of that i think things are rolling fine.

I backed the project without watching the video because at the end of the day some of the games DF did, gave me more than other games were able to provide (especially Psychonauts, The Cave and Costume Quest). Secondly i would feel guilty if i wouldn't support them now because we/i were hoping for that DF would create adventures and/or unique enjoyable games, especially for the PC (crossy), again and now they are doing this. Hey, now it's my turn to also support this.

I don't know Brad Muir at all - uhm, hi! - but he was one of the guys who stood a little bit out during the DFA campaign. He seemed to be down to earth and likeable, laughing and smiling a lot. Saying so i also would fund a grumpy person. It easy imagining working together with him is fun. On top of that he wasn't able to get Brazen done, so, i want him to get this done. I don't know what the game will be about exactly and chances exist that i could enjoy Brazen more but i'm also sure it will be good enough to be worth the money. If it's at least as complex as Costume Quest i'm happy already.

And art related, if there is one thing DF is great at then it's art. They might screw it up due to making the wrong decisions or some ports have more bugs than you might have hoped for but they have a lot of talent, potential and resources in the art sector. I mean just look at those stones in The Cave! *<(:o) They have quite a lot of taste where a number of other games/studios fail.

Maybe you are stepping into the trap that you got used to this too much. Just imagine how things would feel if there wouldn't be Kickstarter and DF wouldn't use it. I'm sure this would feel worse, a lot worse.

I backed it since it sounds like a game I'll enjoy playing, and since it is a DF game, that makes it extra nice. I also won't go into it expecting to have the same sort of emotional investment that I have in DFA/Reds/Broken Age, since they are two different beasts entirely to compare.

I did want to mention though that getting to "know" Brad from Amnesia Fortnight was definitely a contributing factor to backing. I probably would've backed the project regardless, but Brad's enthusiasm throughout the Fortnight definitely made me extra confident it would all be pretty rad.

Smiles

I did want to mention though that getting to "know" Brad from Amnesia Fortnight was definitely a contributing factor to backing. I probably would've backed the project regardless, but Brad's enthusiasm throughout the Fortnight definitely made me extra confident it would all be pretty rad.

Smiles

Also the tooth! Remember the tooth!

I already backed it. To be 100% honest about it... I did kind of pause for a second when I got the DFA update saying they put up another Kickstarter. I was immediately skeptical. I think I would have rather they waited until Broken Age is released... This almost feels like "Broken Age might suck - so we need to get this in there while the getting's good." I'm not saying that's what's going on... but that's kind of what if felt like at the moment. Anyway, I got over it and backed.

Sign in to follow this