Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gsm

MASSIVE CHALICE - are you backing?

Are you going to be a MASSIVE CHALICE backer?  

426 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to be a MASSIVE CHALICE backer?

• Yes, already a backer.
    • Yes, I intend to be a backer.
    • I would, but it’s too expensive.
    • No, this one is enough for me.
    • I haven’t decided yet, maybe I’ll be a slacker backer.
    • Kickstarter? Polls? What is this, like, 2012?

I don’t cook, or construct food in any way and all my meals are ordered in or eaten out, and some gourmet sandwiches cost more than $15 though I don’t eat them every day. On average though $10-20 seems like a good ballpark for a breakfast, I mean just the coffee in a Starbucks if I go that route is like $7.

$15 is about the price of two lunches for me currently, so I guess we have different standards.

I'll sit this one out. I might get it after it's done.

And art related, if there is one thing DF is great at then it's art. They might screw it up due to making the wrong decisions or some ports have more bugs than you might have hoped for but they have a lot of talent, potential and resources in the art sector. I mean just look at those stones in The Cave! *<(:o) They have quite a lot of taste where a number of other games/studios fail.

Sorry to totally go off topic but OMG did someone just mention they appreciate the rocks in The Cave?? Please tell me you weren't being sarcastic!

And art related, if there is one thing DF is great at then it's art. They might screw it up due to making the wrong decisions or some ports have more bugs than you might have hoped for but they have a lot of talent, potential and resources in the art sector. I mean just look at those stones in The Cave! *<(:o) They have quite a lot of taste where a number of other games/studios fail.

Sorry to totally go off topic but OMG did someone just mention they appreciate the rocks in The Cave?? Please tell me you weren't being sarcastic!

I must say that I loved The Cave's rocks too.

You guys are the best!! Stylized rocks are really hard to make and at best nobody calls them out as wrong/bad so it really warms my heart when people appreciate the craft. :D I'm smiling like Brad!! :D :D

Ok I'll stop derailing the thread now ;)

Hmm, let's agree on that they are okayish?

No, they are beautiful and by far the most adorable stones i have seen in a 3d video game. :o)

The overall art style in The Cave is fantastic. Hope you´re on the team so we can get more livestreams with 3d modelling and notepad antics (with cats). :)

Well I've finally put up my cash for Massive Chalice, even though I don't expect to have the time to ever play it.

I'm much more in it for the documentary and forum posts, these have been what made backing Broken Age so exciting for me, and hopefully Massive Chalice will be similar.

I've already clocked 70+ hours into Fire Emblem Awakening, so I know that if the mechanics are done right a turn based tactical role playing game can be awesome. I'm interested to see the western take on this genre, as to my knowledge, this is a genre only produced by Japanese developers (except XCOM I suppose, but I've not played that, and it's sci-fi themed, not fantasy).

Congrats to Double Fine on the successful funding of your second kickstater btw :D

In at the $100 mark and eagerly looking for anything else that would demand more money from me. The idea that my bloodline can be included in a game about bloodlines is a massive draw to the $100 mark or higher.

I should add that FFTactics is a particular weakness for me. I've been playing it off and on for more than a decade now. The day it came out on the PSP I almost cried with joy. So this game is potentially a show stealer for me.

I'm afraid I'll have to cancel my pledge as I cannot in good conscience keep supporting it.

I wish the team best of luck with this game. I know you'll make the best game that you can.

I'm afraid I'll have to cancel my pledge as I cannot in good conscience keep supporting it.

I wish the team best of luck with this game. I know you'll make the best game that you can.

I'm afraid I've sold my conscience to DF (though only my good conscience, I still have my bad for a rainy day). If only 2014 wasn't so far away. I'll just think about playing the game until then.

Smiles

I'm not a backer yet, but I think I probably will be before the end of the Kickstarter campaign. The game doesn't sound like a genre I'd usually play, but if I'm willing to let any studio change my mind, it's Double Fine.

Also, more 2PP videos. Mmm.

Why? I understand not supporting because of money or that you don't like the concept, but what does your conscience has to do with it? Did DF do something underhanded I don't know about?

Why? I understand not supporting because of money or that you don't like the concept, but what does your conscience has to do with it? Did DF do something underhanded I don't know about?

Nope, DF has been splendid, sorry if I left that impression.

The reason is that I see Kickstarter as the flagship of crowdfunding and crowdfunding itself as an opportunity to get away from bad practices in the business. I am not comfortable with things such as the exclusive item and the unfinished state that the game idea is in right now, especially when other Kickstarter projects have gone through so much trouble to flesh out their concept and prepare things in advance. Getting fan feedback to make the game is fine, and they can be a great source for generating ideas, but this should have been done before Kickstarter, perhaps, and then fleshed out more to better show DF's vision.

That's weird because this Kickstarter has far more of an idea of what the game will be than the DFA did at the start.

But at the end of the day it's your decision and it must be respected.

The thing about Broken Age is that I backed it purely out of trust in Double Fine (plus being a huge fan of Grim Fandango). This project, Massive Chalice, I am backing because I really love the idea. That it involves turn based mechanics in the vein of Final Fantasy Tactics was a major draw as well. So I guess I'm saying that this game really stands on its own and I like that.

The thing about Broken Age is that I backed it purely out of trust in Double Fine (plus being a huge fan of Grim Fandango). This project, Massive Chalice, I am backing because I really love the idea. So I guess I'm saying that this game really stands on its own and I like that.

This pretty much sums up my feelings as well.

Smiles

Damn right I am. I thought Brad was pretty cool in the Amnesia Fortnight Doc, so once I heard he was the lead it was already at about 90% certainty that I would become a backer. Then the pitch was made that it was essentially the DF take on the recent XCOM game/FFT.....the latter being arguably my favorite game of all time and the former doing a damn good job of entrenching itself somewhere in the top 5? Yea....my money jumped outta my wallet quickly.

I ended up pledging $1 just to keep up to date with updates and show general support.

This makes me wish DFA would have switched places with MASSIVE CHALICE, since a smaller backer pool might have yielded an audience of more-hardcore adventure game fans, actually interested in the game. That, in turn, might have yielded a more hardcore adventure game.... Maybe. (this of course only applies to my nightmare world in which Broken Age is a short, watered down mess).

So, I'm imagining a world where Massive Chalice was put on Kickstarter last year instead of Broken Age. The thing about DFA is that it's very rare for a new point and click adventure game to come out these days, and there were so many people who just backed it because of the magic words "New point and click adventure game". A LOT of people backed it just because it's a genre they know and love (like me). Massive Chalice doesn't really have a descriptive genre like that. So, I'm thinking the kickstarter may have pulled the $400,000 or $700,000 or whatever it was, but not the 3 million that DFA pulled. And then Kickstarter wouldn't have exploded like it did, and so many games that have been backed because of the massive awareness of kickstarter would not even be being made now!

*pauses to take a breath*

And I suspect that Double Fine have changed a lot as a result of the very successful DFA kickstarter - improved financial situation and now much more awareness of their company. So I think it's possible that Massive Chalice wouldn't have even been proposed if DFA hadn't happened, as it might be the result of awesome company changes.

Well, those are my thoughts about this parallel universe possibility anyway :)

Sign in to follow this