Sign in to follow this  
DF Brad

WELCOME!

Brad, you're lucky I like fire emblem, FFT and XCOM basically as much as I like Monster Hunter! Because... man! I'd be real mad if you decided on a new game that didn't sound as awesome as MASSIVE CHALICE.

Someday you will get to totally take on Monster Hunter Brad. I believe in you!

Someday!

How much customization do you have over your main avatar besides gender? physical Appearance? More?

It's too early to nail down customization specifics, since it greatly impacts what kind and the amount of art and design assets needed. BUT! Customization is a goal and we want you to feel connected to your heroes, so we'll do as much as possible as long as it fits our schedule and doesn't impede gameplay!

Oh I see. Very cool, thanks for the response.

But now I'm wondering. Does your king/queen have an avatar or are you a disembodied commander like in X-Com: Enemy Unknown?

Sorry for asking too many questions.

I am gonna pledge money but im gonna save it for the end of the kickstarter as i need to save it up first (planning on getting the 250 pledge)

I am intrigued Mr Muir. I hope you will tell us more over the coming months.

WOAH!

Just noticed that it's one of those logos where it's not only a Massive Chalice. It's also two heads facing each other.

The timing of this couldn't really be better for me, as I've just been watching my friend get into Crusader Kings II but while the concept was intriguing the whole thing looked too much for me to get to grips with. Also, the whole historical setting isn't my favourite. But I do dig a good fantasy setting and this looks detailed enough to be fun without being too much. Then you went and added the whole XCOM-esque tactical portions and you bought me.

Also it never hurts that the pitch video was fantastic, and that Brad Muir is almost as awesome as Tim Schafer.

Now to convince my friend!

Oh I see. Very cool, thanks for the response.

But now I'm wondering. Does your king/queen have an avatar or are you a disembodied commander like in X-Com: Enemy Unknown?

Sorry for asking too many questions.

That's another one that's too early to tell and will depend on the project's scope!

If we go disembodied, we'll try to have a narrative hook that supports it.

This is perhaps a minor point, but with the focus on bloodlines it's hard to see how there could be any same sex relationships in the game, which is a shame because I always love it when that's an option to play around with, like in The Sims or Fable or (eventually) Mass Effect. But man, if there was some way to acknowledge 'em that worked with the core gameplay then I'd sure appreciate seeing it.

The thing to keep in mind about that mechanic is that these are ultimately strategic marriages to foster powerful bloodlines--they're entirely about producing heirs, basically. I mean, theoretically speaking, in the kingdom there may well be same-sex couples who have fulfilling romantic relationships outside the context of gameplay, but this game isn't a relationship simulator in that sense. These are arranged marriages for strategic goals.

Was that...was that Tim's celery juice that was being sprayed on that poor guy? D:

Okay...interesting. A couple more questions in regards to babies:

1. Any limit to the amount of offspring a hero can have?

2. Will there be random variables that can mess up the order of the blood line (for instance sickness, attacks etc.)

3. Like arranging marriages, will there be an option to perhaps trade offspring as a gift of good will to mark an alliance?

This is perhaps a minor point, but with the focus on bloodlines it's hard to see how there could be any same sex relationships in the game, which is a shame because I always love it when that's an option to play around with, like in The Sims or Fable or (eventually) Mass Effect. But man, if there was some way to acknowledge 'em that worked with the core gameplay then I'd sure appreciate seeing it.

The thing to keep in mind about that mechanic is that these are ultimately strategic marriages to foster powerful bloodlines--they're entirely about producing heirs, basically. I mean, theoretically speaking, in the kingdom there may well be same-sex couples who have fulfilling romantic relationships outside the context of gameplay, but this game isn't a relationship simulator in that sense. These are arranged marriages for strategic goals.

So the heroes abilities are strictly genetic? That is they can't adopt? What if I focus only on Female heroes and I want to marry one off? Can I just have two women get together and adopt and they teach the child everything they know? This kind of pushes into the nature vs nurture debate.

Adoption as a mechanic could be an interesting way to trade a long-term loss for a short-term benefit. Suppose you had two families with the following heads:

ALEXANDER: Strong swordsman

ALEXANDRA: Gifted healer

HENRY: Fire mage

HENRIETTA: Strong bowman

If Alexander/Alexandra have a son named Xander who inherits the blood of his great parents, he would likely end up something like a paladin. If Henry/Henrietta have a daughter named Harriet who inherits traits from her parents, she might shoot a lot of flaming arrows, let's say.

And then, if I understand things correctly, THOSE two offspring would pair up and pass down THEIR greatness to yet ANOTHER generation, making each successive generation stronger through strategic consideration of heritability.

But suppose that Henry/Henrietta do not produce a child. However, Alexander/Alexandra still produce Xander. Then perhaps you could return Alexander/Alexandra to service and remove Henry/Henrietta, placing young Xander in their care. Xander inherits the blood of his parents and still receives those traits, but being in the care of adoptive parents confers additional, smaller benefits from THOSE parents.

The short term benefit of adoption, then, is that you get to continue to use two heroes you would otherwise have to remove from combat (i.e. Alexander and Alexandra), and you still get to have those heroes produce a child to inherit some of their traits (i.e. Xander). Since that child is being raised by adoptive parents, his blood inheritence isn't as strong, but he gets bonus traits from his adoptive parents. So he kinda multi-classes (or multi-inherits, however that works).

The long-term penalty for this, though, is that Henry and Henrietta, the adoptive parents, do NOT get to reproduce at all. While they do pass on a diminished form of their traits to their adopted son Xander, those traits die with Xander. Also, since Alexander and Alexandra don't actually raise their own child, their blood in Xander is weakened, so even if he does have a child, the child will not be as strong as he otherwise would have been.

The broader strategy being that you can continue to concentrate and intensify the strength of particular bloodlines, but you can also take other bloodlines and essentially end them for some short-term versatility. That would also allow you to create same-sex households, and maybe even occasionally provide an incentive to have such a household.

But also I know absolutely nothing about how inheritance is/will be implemented in this game at this point, so everything I just said is 100% just for fun and will most likely not be even close to applicable. But it was fun trying to think of a way to make the same sex couples thing work strategically in an inheritance game.

How's the permadeath situation? Is it only from hero aging or is it in battle as well? Either way I'm super excited about the new project and can't wait to see my bloodline in game!

Hey everyone! Welcome to the official MASSIVE CHALICE forum! :D!

I'm super excited to launch this project on Kickstarter and work directly with you guys to make an awesome Tactical Fantasy game!

Here's the Kickstarter link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fines-massive-chalice

Our launch day has been pretty crazy already but I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas about the game! Thanks for stopping by! :D!

Love,

Brad!

I came for Broken Age but stayed for TACTICAL FANTASY GAME. Let's do this!

So my thoughts and ideas:

• Is there a way that after a marriage it can be produce more than one offspring? It isn't thouched that much.

• If yes does this create multiple relics or is it better to choose one heir to be the bearer of the relic?

• Is a equipped relics on a slain hero lost in all eternity (or until found) or will it be passed on to you and to other heroes of that bloodline

• Can a hero loose it's allegiance and be turned over to an enemy (because he snagged away the bride or the groom and they are bound by family) or vice versa, can you make advances to an enemy and bind them by marrying

• Will the boodlines / houses have distinctive visual differneces and boons / flaws that come along with them

Well these are more questions than thoughts, but things that go through my mind :S

Was that...was that Tim's celery juice that was being sprayed on that poor guy? D:

That was actually 3 day old water soaked oatmeal with green food dye. Which is I think worse than celery juice.

My thoughts, too ! (...and already answered)

Also: Yay for from-start GNU/Linux support announce. Please, take my money !

That was actually 3 day old water soaked oatmeal with green food dye. Which is I think worse than celery juice.

I don't envy whoever had to clean up the aftermath of that scene.

Tarps and towels made it not too bad it seemed! 2pp are super Pros even on cleanup logistics!

With adoption, Japanese business men have an odd practice of "adopting" fully grown men so they can have a "son" to successfully run the business and also follow on the family name and linage. It was also common back in feudal times and certain games (Total War for example) allow it too. You could perhaps have that as an option; enabling you to quickly replace lost heroes with a fully grown man but with the the limited lineage he wouldn't be able to use any relics.

Putting aside adult adoption couldn't the length of time you've put your hero out for pasture affect the strengths of the sired child. So your old hero has a good 10 years left of his life, he has a kid the same year you decide to not have him fight, so he has a good 10 years to personally train the child. Adopting a young child and having 10 years to train him would certainly imbue him with the parents characteristics. Personally I don't care as long as I get to hit things with an axe, but there are options out there.

Also presumably not every coupling will produce a child and if the marriages are more political I rather like the idea of having mistresses, although that does complicate things when you probably want the linage clear and simple.

Damn it Double Fine, where am I supposed to get all of this money to endlessly shower you with?

Do you get your bloodline as an ACTUAL PLAYABLE bloodline in the game at the $100 level? Or just in the credits?

Hey Brad! This is awesome!

I already backed, but I have a super important question: Will Murderface be in the game?

Edit: My bad. Forgot to throw in a :D!

Oh man yeah! We'll get a reference to him in there. I mean, "House Murderface" has an incredible ring to it, yeah? :D!

Hi Brad! I haven't backed yet, although I definitely plan to soon. :D

Just one question though: How itchy was that beard? It looked INCREDIBLY itchy, to be honest.

SO ITCHY.

It was also really hard to keep the mustache where the mustache should be. :D

Hey Brad! Two things:

#1: Totally pumped about this! You and your team are going to do awesome work!

#2: I am not in the habit of begging cool people with awesome ideas to listen to me when they already have a scenario in mind, HOWEVER, would you please consider including at least one female hero option? I am a lady who likes to play with the ladies. And while that sounds totally kinky, I think you know what I mean. I think you'd agree it is possible to have mad super skillz as well as vaginas.

Thanks!

PS. again, totally excited for this.

With regard to #2 - I totally agree. Mad super skillz and vaginas go together like peas and carrots. :D!

I'm behind on this thread and I think it's been covered but yeah! Your heroes are going to be a diverse cadre of male and female badasses that will destroy demon scum side by side. The way it should be. :D!

This male or female thing made me thinking: Male or female, it's not all this random. Depending on the species nature tends to prefer a specific gender according to when times are rough or more relaxed. Some species can select the gender directly, others are influenced by the environmental conditions (like temperature or how much food is available), according to several research projects humans (males with the XY chromosome) tend to produce one or the other according due to their genetic material. So, rolling a 50:50 dice isn't this accurate.

Outside of Jurassic Park (LIFE FINDS A WAY) I actually didn't know this! This is super interesting to me!

And this is why I love announcing a project before we've gotten too far into it! I can guarantee you that we were going to have it be a 50:50 die roll, but now we'll do more research! Thanks! :D!

I've never really been into Tactics games, but I was never that crazy about Tower Defense either, and after about 400 hours put into Iron Brigade, I think I can give you the benefit of the doubt that I'm going to like this. So, I backed. Not going to say at what level, but I will say that I have a problem when it comes to Double Fine collectibles.

Still kicking myself for saying "No, I'm really tired" when you asked if I was staying to hang out last year. Blaming it on jet lag, time difference, and general stupidity.

Good luck with the Kickstarter, Brad!!!

I'm much too broke to pledge now but if I get the job I interviewed for this week, then maybe I'll slacker-back it later.

p.s. Looper sucked.

Aw I liked Looper.

Good luck landing that job! :D!

Brad, you're lucky I like fire emblem, FFT and XCOM basically as much as I like Monster Hunter! Because... man! I'd be real mad if you decided on a new game that didn't sound as awesome as MASSIVE CHALICE.

Someday you will get to totally take on Monster Hunter Brad. I believe in you!

Someday!

BRAZEN slumbers in the depths of DF! I hope we can get back to it later. :D!

I am gonna pledge money but im gonna save it for the end of the kickstarter as i need to save it up first (planning on getting the 250 pledge)

I am intrigued Mr Muir. I hope you will tell us more over the coming months.

I hope you don't get sick of me. :D!

The game is still really early and we're planning on hashing out the design details in public as we enter pre-production (assuming the game gets fully funded!). But dang I am excited to be talking to you guys about this already. It's so awesome. :D!