Sign in to follow this  
AwesomeOcelot

Quick Time Events

Just checking because I won't back a game with them in. I'm talking the "press this button now" stuff in Costume Quest, the "press this button repeatedly" in Psychonauts, or the rhythm game in Brutal Legend. They are literally the devil.

Quicktime events in games are evil yeqh.

Can't see how you could bring up Brutal Legend. The rythm minigame allowed some errors. in LoZ:Ocarina of Time, hitting the wrong key had you start over again. But then again, BL's is timed, Zelda isnt

A lot of Quick Time Events allow for errors, some have failure states that don't involve restarting, they're still terrible.

I don't know, I loved the QTEs in "Walking Dead." If they're done right then they're great! But given what I know about MASSIVE CHALICE (nothing about the game), it's hard to say if they'd have a place or not. I can come up with a list of about a billion features that I DON'T want in a potential game, but that's not the most productive exercise, since it depends so much on what the game becomes...

Why would there be QTEs in a turn-based strategy game? One of the things about turn-based is that it's all about careful thought and strategy, not speed and reaction time (strategy fans that enjoy the latter tend to gravitate more towards RTS titles).

Though I will be safe and also chime in to say that I'd rather not see QTEs in MC. Turn-based strategy is one of the genres I play when I want to sit back and relax while my brain does the bulk of the work. I'd rather not have to worry about suddenly having to mash a key.

Only if we hit the "No Quicktime Events" stretchgoal!

Just kidding!

I double checked with Brad that he's cool with us planting this fencepost, but yeah. There will be NO quicktime events in Massive Chalice.

In fact, because it's turn-based, most events can take all the time in the world you want to give them!

So again, and this is from someone (me) who has implemented QTEs in some major games, there will be no QTEs in MASSIVE CHALICE - the tactical gameplay will be about positioning, using the right skills, and a little bit 'o luck.

Why would there be QTEs in a turn-based strategy game?

I would have said the same thing about turn based RPGs, but then Costume Quest happened. Actually you could say that about any game, why would there be QTEs in any game? Why do "games" like The Walking Dead, Heavy Rain, Guitar Hero, or Rock Band exist? It's a mystery, people like being told to press buttons I guess. For me, it's a special hell.

So again, and this is from someone (me) who has implemented QTEs in some major games, there will be no QTEs in MASSIVE CHALICE - the tactical gameplay will be about positioning, using the right skills, and a little bit ‘o luck.

Yay! I'm assuming you were forced to implement them in some sort of forced labour camp for software developers as punishment for supporting democracy, peace, and motherhood.

Yay! I'm assuming you were forced to implement them in some sort of forced labour camp for software developers as punishment for supporting democracy, peace, and motherhood.

(it was Dante's Inferno... so kinda) ;)

I would have said the same thing about turn based RPGs, but then Costume Quest happened.

I found Costume Quest's battle system to be pretty similar to the Mario and Luigi RPGs, which were in turn similar to Super Mario RPG back on the SNES, so the way the battles worked in Costume Quest didn't really come out of nowhere to me since I had already played RPGs with similar battle systems in the past. All those Mario RPGs used timed button presses to make your attacks more potent.

(it was Dante's Inferno... so kinda) ;)

*rimshot*

I would have said the same thing about turn based RPGs, but then Costume Quest happened.

I found Costume Quest's battle system to be pretty similar to the Mario and Luigi RPGs, which were in turn similar to Super Mario RPG back on the SNES, so the way the battles worked in Costume Quest didn't really come out of nowhere to me since I had already played RPGs with similar battle systems in the past. All those Mario RPGs used timed button presses to make your attacks more potent.

Yeah, I don't think this sort of thing is inherently bad. In fact, I could even see a case for it in a game like Massive Chalice. It could be cool if some attacks weren't pure dice rolls but were more or less effective depending on you doing a little button combo like in Mario RPG and Costume quest. I'm not saying I want that, but I could see that it could be done for a good design reason. The reason I think I'd not like it in Massive Chalice is that when I'm playing turn based strategies, I enjoy them at a more reflective pace... I don't want to feel like I'm under pressure in any way except for my decision making.

I think QTEs get flat out bad is when they feel sort of perfunctory, and peripheral to the game design, particularly in an action game where I'm used to fighting in one way, and then it just interjects with a button-based timing challenge every so often, I feel like that can really break flow, and make me feel like less of a badass because I look cool on screen but it wasn't really my direct input controlling the actions.

For me, there is a certain kind of 'quick time event' that frustrating (e.g. the long cinematic chains where instead of being able to watch the wonderful sequence you're forced to stare intently to hit any combination of A, B, X, Z, Trigger, etc.) and the kind that was implemented in say, Paper Mario, where simply pressing A at the same time as you hit the target would result in a damage boost.

Paper Mario was fun. Ninja Blade, not so much.

Edit: Finished reading the rest of everyone's posts, and this point was covered already.

I loathed the QTE's in both Super Mario RPG and Costume Quest. It's a cheap way to make a game harder than they actually are. Especially Costume Quest where every enemy could be beaten that way, so you don't learn any other tactics like equipping the right armor or bonus trinket. Bosses were much harder because of this.

I loved both Super Mario RPG and Costume Quest, but turn based gameplay should never ever have QTE's. learn to properly strategize attacking/defending/healing/buffing/debuffing

I loathed the QTE's in both Super Mario RPG and Costume Quest. It's a cheap way to make a game harder than they actually are. Especially Costume Quest where every enemy could be beaten that way, so you don't learn any other tactics like equipping the right armor or bonus trinket. Bosses were much harder because of this.

I loved both Super Mario RPG and Costume Quest, but turn based gameplay should never ever have QTE's. learn to properly strategize attacking/defending/healing/buffing/debuffing

I think you might be in the minority on this one. I'm pretty sure most people approve of timed hit mechanics in turn-based RPGs.

QTEs in action games are annoying, because they take what would otherwise be an actual action game and turn it into a sort of movie. It was really interesting and surprising and kind of exciting when the first batch of games did it well, but then a bunch of other games started doing it just for the sake of doing it, and it got really out of hand, and now the whole QTE thing is just kind of silly. QTEs are a way of putting action on auto-pilot, and generally players don't WANT to be on auto-pilot.

But it's the exact OPPOSITE situation with RPGs. Generally, the repetitiveness and grindiness of RPGs gets incredibly, incredibly, incredibly tedious once you're over 30 hours in. While there CAN be serious strategy in an RPG (usually in boss or mini-boss battles), the vast majority of the battles you fight primarily involve spamming the attack command. Or if the character is a wizard, an attack spell. Whatever. There really ISN'T a lot of thinking to the vast majority of battles in a turn-based RPG. There IS no strategizing. Or if there is, it is so easy and involves so little thinking that there might as well be no strategy at all.

This is why it's super interesting when SMRPG or Paper Mario or Costume Quest add timed hits. It's not a "cheap way to add strategy". No one honestly thinks that tapping a button at the right time is "strategy". No, timed hits are a creative way to SUBTRACT BORING. It gives you something to pay attention to. It gives the player a skill (timing) to develop and apply, even when the "strategizing" is boring and just involves spamming the attack command.

Tactical RPGs tend to have a lot more complexity and strategy, though, so I'm not worried about that.

I think you might be in the minority on this one. I'm pretty sure most people approve of timed hit mechanics in turn-based RPGs.

I despise it in pretty much all shapes and forms. For me it's a gimmicky feature at best.

If the problem with your game is that it's grindy to the extent that your combat gets boring, then QTEs are not the way to make it better.

I can understand not enjoying the time based mechanics in a tactical game. I will say there is something very zen about playing Final Fantasy and games that require nothing more than just thinking, and I very much enjoy that as well.

Either style works well for me.

Personally, my only problem with Costume Quest's QTEs (if you can even call them that) is that I'm playing on PC. I'm used to recognizing QTE prompts based on the color of the button. I'm getting better at it though.

I don't play bad RPGs that would allow you to spam base attacks, but then I haven't played one on console for a very long time and I don't play JRPGs. If you tried to spam base attacks on the turn based RPGs I have played you wouldn't get past the first 15 minutes. If a game has gameplay that is so boring that watching for commands to press buttons sounds promising then those games must be bad and I wouldn't play them. The problem for me is there's no control, thinking, or strategy, there's hardly any reflexes, the only thing it demands is attention, and that's the hardest thing because I can't think of anything more boring.

Only if we hit the "No Quicktime Events" stretchgoal!

Just kidding!

I double checked with Brad that he's cool with us planting this fencepost, but yeah. There will be NO quicktime events in Massive Chalice.

In fact, because it's turn-based, most events can take all the time in the world you want to give them!

So again, and this is from someone (me) who has implemented QTEs in some major games, there will be no QTEs in MASSIVE CHALICE - the tactical gameplay will be about positioning, using the right skills, and a little bit 'o luck.

PHEW!!