Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GodComplex

Mounts

I'm curious if there is any plan to have mounted troops in game. I just think it would be great to send a cavalry charge into enemy lines.

Ok so we're NOT going to have Chocobos. :D

But I will put it in the idea pile! Mounts are super cool! You could also breed mounts over the EPIC TIMELINE to get better ones! :D

I'm starting to think Brad puts these :D in every post just to make his ideas sound more appealing. WELL YOU DON'T NEED TO, SIR!! YOUR IDEAS ARE PRETTY RAD ALREADY!!

You could also breed mounts over the EPIC TIMELINE to get better ones! :D

I thought we were already breeding heroes over the epic timeline...

Plot twist!

All the heros ARE Chocobos!

Insert comments about same sex mount couples here.

It wouldn't even make sense to have gay chocobos in the game because I'm kind of a huge homophobe. I just [del]refuse to[/del] don't see how that could possibly work.

It wouldn't even make sense to have gay chocobos in the game because I'm kind of a huge homophobe. I just [del]refuse to[/del] don't see how that could possibly work.

What? I thought baby chocobos just bud off a mature chocobo!

So, kind of connected, I've been playing a lot of the X-Wing miniatures game lately, and it really gives a sense of momentum during ship movement. They can't just stop on a dime or pull an instant 360 - you have to steer them in graceful arcs. Or run into an asteroid.

ANYWAYS.

If we're able to do mounts, I'd love for them to feel different than foot soldiers by working momentum into their movement equation, so you'll want to charge to attack, and if the attack misses, you'll likely over shoot your target and have to spend another action wheeling about.

Wizard did it.

So "Not Chocobo" breeding. Hmm... Can we breed a golden "Not Chocobo"?

Bring the war mooses!

We actually tried that in 15th century here in Sweden, and failed miserably, but hey, this is a fantasy game isn't it? :D

Edit: Wow, it was actually in the beginning of the 20th century we and the russians were trying this. :P

You made me google war moose so thanks. That have been pretty epic if it happened in a time when cavalry was relevant and continued from there. Also bear mounts would be fun.

What would be the most epic animal for a mount, though?

So, kind of connected, I've been playing a lot of the X-Wing miniatures game lately, and it really gives a sense of momentum during ship movement. They can't just stop on a dime or pull an instant 360 - you have to steer them in graceful arcs. Or run into an asteroid.

ANYWAYS.

If we're able to do mounts, I'd love for them to feel different than foot soldiers by working momentum into their movement equation, so you'll want to charge to attack, and if the attack misses, you'll likely over shoot your target and have to spend another action wheeling about.

Dude that's badass! I really like the idea that different units would handle differently on the battlefield, not just in the usual ways of speed and damage. I've never seen a horse stop on a dime and do a 360 to kick flip, Whereas it would be quite possible for a skilled swordsman to pull off.

Pulling off a satisfying maneuver with your troops would be all the more satisfying :)

Also the X-Wing miniatures game looks fantastic! I'll have too pick that up...

You made me google war moose so thanks. That have been pretty epic if it happened in a time when cavalry was relevant and continued from there. Also bear mounts would be fun.

Well you have a choice between elephants, bears, and Blaster from Beyond Thunderdome.

Also, I'm gonna suggest importing some LAZER PANTHERS from the Land of Metal. It's like totally already rigged and animated, cost effective!

Well, Iliad had a horse. Or was it Odyssey?

Also, I'm gonna suggest importing some LAZER PANTHERS from the Land of Metal. It's like totally already rigged and animated, cost effective!

o.O

Mind would be blown.

I'd like to see undead calvary because if we can have mages why not necromancers?

Also battle ostrich's.

A paper-scissor mount system. Ostrich< Laser Panther< War Moose :D

Panther beats Ostrich because, well, it's a panther. Moose beats panther because if has reflective shields in it's anthers so when the panther attacks it blinds itself. While Ostrich can run circles around the Moose enabling it to avoid the anthers and attack the rider directly.

Mounts are a cool idea and I like the possibility of actually breeding them. That means you could start of it a normal horse at the beginning of the campaign but by the end your could have bred it to be super fast, it could have been blessed by the gods to have wings, or cursed to have it's flesh melt off leaving an undead mouth that will never die but it makes it's rider want to throw up. There is a lot you could do with this game.

BEES. GIANT BEE MOUNTS.

This is not at all influenced by the notion that I've been heavily playing Minecraft Feed-The-Beast.

I hope my quoters realized the sarcasm in my last post. I thought I was laying it on pretty thick with the (del) tag joke, but I sometimes forget that the internet is not good at conveying sarcasm.

Also, I'm fully on board for laser panthers.

This looks like a job for the Bear Cavalry!

A cavalry of bears and giant bees? THERE IS NO WEAKNESS.

Ummm. Aren't their sex organs made of dynamite?

This looks like a job for the Bear Cavalry!

A cavalry of bears and giant bees? THERE IS NO WEAKNESS.

Ummm. Aren't their sex organs made of dynamite?

That's a weakness? I figure that's a welcome feature, at the rate bees breed. Giant bee mounts are your glass cannons, while the bears are trained for long-term survivability.

Train giant bee riders in the art of the charge, then have them bail at the last second while the mount stings one, then AoEs all around. Go ahead, there's like 100 more being hatched back at the castle apiary. They'd be like disposable dropships with a punch.

Sign in to follow this