Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cigumo

Ideas for stretch goals

Just a couple of ideas.

1. Go beyond what's being done in Broken Age's documentary:

- Add a third type of short monthly video (spotlight?) that focuses on teaching specific aspects: art, programming, design, marketing, business, project management, humor, story, culture, history, influences ...

- Bi-weekly updates, alternating full episode and interview/spotlight.

- Go outside DF and talk to others that are somehow related to the Massive Chalice project: journalists, players, family, critics, teachers, other developers, distribution channels.

- Go to the conferences (PAX, GDC, IndieCade) and stalk Brad and the team!

2. iOS support for Buddha engine, once and for all!

i imagine those two things could end up being very expensive, and they're not going to make the resulting game any bigger or better (which i think is the most important thing). i do agree that DF should have some sort of stretch goal plan if they want to keep making loadsamoney, though. i think stretch goals have a psychological effect on people and keep the campaign's momentum building.

@cigumo

This sounds like you want to know everything about gamedev (and life?) but you seriously don't expect getting a full education in all these disciplines which even takes talented people years to master just by watching a couple of videos who are already told to be less extensive than those from the DFA?

I'd much prefer that my funds go to supporting an awesome game than to videos about making said game.

Rather than announce stretch goals as game features, how about announcing them as resources. For example, at 800k you'd hire an additional animator for more char animations, at 850k you'd hire a live orchestra to record the game music, at 900k you'd hire a professional writer to write world backstory, etc.

That way you don't have to commit to features which might not work out, but you would give us backers more incentives to pledge more.

edit: I also couldn't care less about more behind-the-scenes videos. A low-tech informal video update once a week/month is fine, like how GODUS is doing. I'd much rather invest in better gameplay and features, things that actually matter. And iOS support would possibly just dilute the game experience on currently supported platforms.

People are used to stretch goals from a number of campaigns and it's a great way to keep a campaign running and optimise the amount of funding but for this project at this stage it doesn't make sense at all. Actually i'm happy that instead of trying to come up with something which might only turn into something reasonable they just say that they'll invest the money into making a better game.

For this project that's enough for me and the best thing to do.

Once they have something specific in mind i'm sure that they'll communicate this as well but until then it's much better doing it this way. They might get less funding this way but for the game and those working on it, it's the better choice.

Rather than announce stretch goals as game features, how about announcing them as resources. For example, at 800k you'd hire an additional animator for more char animations, at 850k you'd hire a live orchestra to record the game music, at 900k you'd hire a professional writer to write world backstory, etc.

I really like that suggestion! Those strech goals should be pretty easy to design, even without knowing the exact direction of the game yet. Also, as much as I like the documentary for Broken Age, 2PP won't be able to do two in-depth documentaries at the same time, let alone the kinds of videos that were suggested here. I think that would also be great to have, but I simply don't think it's possible.

I would have more confidence in the project if they stay away from stretch goals then if they add them, since stretch goals doesn't help a product, but if they add them I would see them spend a specific amount on something sensible. Like, for every extra $100k they promise to spend $25k on something special. Whatever that might be. But it's no good for us that they promise gameplay features that later doesn't make sense.

Of all the ideas, I quite like the one of having extra team members as stretch goals the most, but even then it's difficult. You don't necessarily know you need more artists until you need them, and so forth.

As for orchestra, I think that'll probably remain out of scope. Hiring an orchestra is SUPER expensive, you're basically paying 100 people, by the hour, including rehearsals. I don't think it's anywhere near in-budget for a kickstarter game without taking a relatively HUGE chunk of the total.

Sign in to follow this