Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BEWBTUBE

Religion & Gods?

One of the other staples of the Fantasy genre is religion and/or a pantheon of gods. I always found these things to be incredibly intriguing in how this religion or set of gods (that are often part of the background/setting) played a subtle to overt role within the narrative. I think that introducing religion alone could bring in some intriguing game mechanics (i.e. a family or hero who worships X god can receive X bonus or unlock interesting interactions/ways of killing/etc.). Those things are really awesome to think about, but the thing that really gets my brain going is the idea of religion and its growth overtime and that's something a game like this (with its epic timeline and scope) could explore in a way that I don't think a lot of games or novels within this genre do.

I don't know, it's just a compelling thought to me.

You play an immortal ruler who can make people doing his/her biding at will. I think gods would only prove to be competition.

I feel like religion could be an interesting aspect of the game. Potentially an immortal king could make a religion all about him or her self. Or perhaps they decide to let others have the religious spotlight. I think though that it shouldn't have a lot of impact on the game. But it is something that the player could choose to do or research for the people, which could make them happier or more compliant or whatever.

*if* you were going to have religion then I like the approach POWDER took where worshiping different gods gave specific buffs/debuffs to attributes. However you also want to avoid layering too many mechanics on the game as it's better to have one really well polished idea than a whole bunch of half-baked ones.

You could go a grittier route and say that priests are just wizards that have trapped the gods and siphon off their power while diverting the people's belief elsewhere.

Lots of options.

Perhaps the king's immortality is tied to people's belief in him, and if other gods appear they must be smited or else the game could possibly end? Idk just freestyling here.

Is that a problem?

Definitely not. If I did, I would propose reasons/alternatives. It just sounds a lot like summons, which are cool but require a decent amount of art and animation.

In Final Fantasy Tactics summons are a type of magic (area) if you refer to that kind of summons then yes, i thought it may be a way to represent enhancing magic but it can be used in may ways.

I prefer if there would be no religions and no gods at all, maybe a little bit of myth and legends bards can sing about but beside of that only monsters.

Monsters just for the sake of being monsters doing monsters stuff without some weird religions.

Or to put it straight and simple (hey i'm a man, i'm not supposed to be clever).

If i can't do this anymore:

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347311516l/24815.jpg

I at least wanna to do this (okay, i know that i won't have this awesome lazzzer weapon but some +5 bow instead):

http://resinkit.perso.neuf.fr/version_anglaise/galleries/calvin_hobbes/ch_pics/spiffvsmonster.jpg

But the last thing i wanna do really is this:

http://www.reapermini.com/graphics/gallery/4/03600_p_1_mj.jpg

Religion can offer buffs and bloodlines. It could also be a good story mechanic. Using the ideas of religion to control the masses and justify some actions.

You play an immortal ruler who can make people doing his/her biding at will. I think gods would only prove to be competition.

Awesome post only made awesomer by your avatar and screen name!

---

Religion and Gods haven't made their way into many of our design discussions so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's worked into lore or the game's aesthetics. It's also a great topic of conversation here since it's uncharted territory!

One thing I personally want to avoid is an over-complicated layer on top of the attack percentage system like the Final Fantasy Tactics zodiac system, where a character's birth date and how it relates to another character's birth date give unseen bonuses or detriments to attacks and spells. Just let me attack and have an idea of how successful it's likely to be!

*edit*

also, any thread where I can see Calvin & Hobbes is a winner in my book!

---

Religion and Gods haven't made their way into many of our design discussions so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's worked into lore or the game's aesthetics. It's also a great topic of conversation here since it's uncharted territory!

One thing I personally want to avoid is an over-complicated layer on top of the attack percentage system like the Final Fantasy Tactics zodiac system, where a character's birth date and how it relates to another character's birth date give unseen bonuses or detriments to attacks and spells. Just let me attack and have an idea of how successful it's likely to be!

*edit*

also, any thread where I can see Calvin & Hobbes is a winner in my book!

My main interest in it isn't how it might pertain to combat or strategy, but how it might grow/change/shift over the epic timeline. It's just an interesting concept to me, because religion grows as society grows. It shifts and changes as the people do. I mean the Romans went from a polytheistic to monotheistic and both of those religions played pretty large roles throughout its history. Sometimes they had quite a bit of power and as that power diminished some very interesting things happened and when a new religion popped up the threat to the old one was also interesting.

I mean, GodComplex's post exactly right. What religion held sway/power/influence over the people before this Immortal King came along and how did they respond to his existence? What happens over the course of the epic timeline? Do the people begin to worship the King as a God? Do they maintain their own personal beliefs in other Gods or God? Again, how do those beliefs change over time?

That to me is just a really interesting question that I would love to see explored in the background of the game in some way or another. It doesn't have to have a direct or overt effect on the game or game play, but I think that religion is important (in one way or another) to every human society as the concept of religion is evident in practically every human society there ever was. On top of that we're talking about Fantasy and it is, as I said, a staple in the genre.

All in all, it's just a thought I wanted to share.

Since we have an immortal ruler, we may have a bit of a Cult of the Pharaoh sort of thing going on (where we are the religion to a degree in the game). However as the demons get stronger, or if they beat us back in enough battles, the faith of our heroes in the all guiding wisdom of our Cult of the King/Queen could erode.

Smiles

I would think my Realm's main religion would be "Anti-Demon-ism". We worship by killing demons.

I would think my Realm's main religion would be "Anti-Demon-ism". We worship by killing demons.

My people are similar, but we do not glorify violence. As a noble and just people, we only kill those demons who have first been offered the chance to kill themselves but have insisted that they should remain alive. Unreasonable. At that point, our hands are tied.

I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned Bastion's approach to religion yet. It seems like a set of toggle-able difficulty modifiers wouldn't become confusing with the other layers of stat modifications; besides, only veteran players would try it.

As for religion changing over the epic timeline, that's maybe getting a little too much into memetic simulations. Sure, that'd be cool, but it doesn't really relate to the strategy or tactics layers at the heart of the game.

Thank you. Feel free to steal the idea.

Since we have an immortal ruler, we may have a bit of a Cult of the Pharaoh sort of thing going on (where we are the religion to a degree in the game). However as the demons get stronger, or if they beat us back in enough battles, the faith of our heroes in the all guiding wisdom of our Cult of the King/Queen could erode.

Smiles

This is what I was thinking. You are suppose to be the savior of your kingdom, people should follow you and worship you. Course you could be appointed by god (going back to Hobbes' sovereign). Thinking that I was remind of a show from a few years ago called 12 Kingdoms. The idea being that rulers were selected by gods and attained immortality once they ascended to the throne. The catch was that their kingdoms where only prosperous if they were good leaders. They were also mortal, so they could be killed. So it came down to ruling as long as you were able to keep your subjects from rising up as one to slay you.

So it could easily work that there are gods, but the ruler is who the people worship. Kinda like that whole Catholic idea about praying to Mary to get to Jesus (not a Catholic so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details.)

Sign in to follow this