Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF_John

Now you can support MASSIVE CHALICE via PayPal!

PayPal Support: http://www.massivechalice.com/back

We've been listening to those of you who want to support MASSIVE CHALICE but can't do it through Kickstarter for a variety of reasons. We hear you! Our web team has been working hard to support PayPal payments for new potential backers. Head on over to http://www.massivechalice.com/back to make a pledge through PayPal! We appreciate the support! :D

Will the paypal only be up the length of the Kickstarter? Or beyond?

And will there be a $$ counter on the page like the Broken Age one?

Chris Remo mentioned in the stream today he is working on the PayPal $ tally, hopefully going live on Monday :)

Chris Remo mentioned in the stream today he is working on the PayPal $ tally, hopefully going live on Monday :)

Thanks, Remo! I do love seeing the tally. Makes me feel good seeing other people caring about DF as much as I do. =]

Will the paypal only be up the length of the Kickstarter? Or beyond?

And will there be a $$ counter on the page like the Broken Age one?

Not sure how long it will be up--physical stuff will almost certainly go away post-Kickstarter, same as Broken Age. No firm decisions on the rest. And yep, like Jane pointed out, I'll have the counter up on Monday. (It's done, I just want a bit of live data to roll in so I can test it before making it public.)

Why do Kickstarter buying options apart from Kickstarter reduce themselves to PayPal only?

I could imagine that there are backers who either came too late to the party or who aren't so fond of Kickstarter (less money for the dev) would like to back but aren't this fond of using PayPal (legal terms, security issues, ...) and therefore would like to choose from one of the other options like their credit card and services (Amazon payment, virtual money, ...) they're familiar with instead.

Why do Kickstarter buying options apart from Kickstarter reduce themselves to PayPal only?

I could imagine that there are backers who either came too late to the party or who aren't so fond of Kickstarter (less money for the dev) would like to back but aren't this fond of using PayPal (legal terms, security issues, ...) and therefore would like to choose from one of the other options like their credit card and services (Amazon payment, virtual money, ...) they're familiar with instead.

Are there specific other services you need? Our goal is more to just make sure people have some way to back the project, rather than supporting every possible option people might want. We have to set up verified business accounts for every merchant service we use, set up each one to accept every possible tier and shipping option, have a page that actually supports them all intuitively, etc. We choose to go with PayPal because that's the one people ask for in the overwhelming majority. I think there are probably diminishing returns to putting in the time to accept more options for this purpose—I can't actually think of another service we've gotten any number of requests for, so I wouldn't even know where to begin with adding another.

Are there specific other services you need? Our goal is more to just make sure people have some way to back the project, rather than supporting every possible option people might want. We have to set up verified business accounts for every merchant service we use, set up each one to accept every possible tier and shipping option, have a page that actually supports them all intuitively, etc. We choose to go with PayPal because that's the one people ask for in the overwhelming majority. I think there are probably diminishing returns to putting in the time to accept more options for this purpose—I can't actually think of another service we've gotten any number of requests for, so I wouldn't even know where to begin with adding another.

personally i'm fine with kickstarter and paypal, but i do notice that the humble bundle offers paypal, amazon, google checkout, and bitcoins. so those are particular services you could look at.

@DF Chris Remo

Once again the Humble Indie guys are doing a good job and offering a reasonable variety of options. I think Amazon and Google should be supported, i've never used Bitcoins on my own but hey why not. I'm not hypersensitive when it comes to security on the net but PayPal is a no-go due to a number of reasons. If you want to add just one alternative then i would go for Amazon.

personally i'm fine with kickstarter and paypal, but i do notice that the humble bundle offers paypal, amazon, google checkout, and bitcoins. so those are particular services you could look at.

Sure—I just don't want to make that investment unless we actually have evidence there are people who need (or at least very strongly want) those options. In general we haven't gotten many requests beyond PayPal. Humble is awesome and I totally agree that it's great they offer all those options, but their entire company is set up around being a digital store. We generally sell items through other partners (like Humble, Steam, in this case Kickstarter, etc.). In this case we added PayPal support because it's such a huge request. We don't bother with Amazon Payments because Kickstarter already supports that. It's nice that someone might want to buy straight from us through Amazon rather than Kickstarter, but for now we'd ultimately rather eat the Kickstarter fee and save the time it would take us to support a new payment system.

We're also considering Bitcoin, but the way their payment button API works is very different to how PayPal's works, and for various uninteresting reasons I'm already thinking it's going to have to be a separate page from the PayPal one if we end up going through with it. I'll look into it more on Monday and see how badly we want that feature.

@DF Chris Remo

Once again the Humble Indie guys are doing a good job and offering a reasonable variety of options. I think Amazon and Google should be supported, i've never used Bitcoins on my own but hey why not. I'm not hypersensitive when it comes to security on the net but PayPal is a no-go due to a number of reasons. If you want to add just one alternative then i would go for Amazon.

Kickstarter already supports Amazon so there's a pretty low chance of us supporting it. We don't mind eating the fee—Kickstarter delivers us a huge value by taking care of the backer infrastructure (which we have to re-implement manually with our own backer backend every time we add a new payment method) and merchant service support, so that's why they get to charge a fee. It's totally fine!

It depends on the money you're making apart from Kickstarter, im sure Chris Roberts thinks different about this.

Yep, but i guess you're also having a break-even somewhere, otherwise it would be a waste of backers resources.

And as i wrote before Kickstarter's payment options aren't available anymore once a campaign is over (apart from buying the game once it will be finished or showing up in some sales action), then it's PayPal or nothing.

Not this groovey for a company which tries to utalise crowdfunding more seriously on a regular basis.

If we get significant amounts of feedback indicating that only supporting PayPal post-campaign is hindering support, we'll definitely listen to it. The whole reason we support PayPal in the first place is because many of our community members asked for it. Even then it still ends up being a small fraction of our total backing. But if we get a large number of requests for (say) Amazon Payments post-KS, then we will absolutely implement it.

Still i would offer at least one other option because there are people out there, most probably the majority which never hits the forum or writes you an email about such issues but still a certain percentage of them will be happy if they don't have to use PayPal. Why do i say so? Because i at least know how friends of me think of this and almost everyone tries to get around PayPal but many lack the motivation going through something like support. It should be standard to support an option apart from PayPal. Anyway i guess i made my points clear. Do whatever you want with the feedback.

Hmm, thinking, it makes me kind of sad that probably only a fraction admires the stones in The Cave as well as much as i do. I'll watch some stars tonight...

So far I never had a problem with PayPal, and now I am very happy to be possible, to support Massive Chalice, even I don´t own a credit card, because not every one in europe has one.

Thank you, to made it possible!

Finally, Double Fine can have my money (again)! Well, in a few days - I'm not sure what's left of my PayPal money after I paid $35 for the Double Fine Bundle...

EDIT: I'm pretty certain it's been discussed somewhere already, but I just want to make sure. The PayPal account I use is not registered to my main email address (the one I use here and on Humble Bundle). Not that I really care, but if I pay from that, is there any way to prove that I was the one who made the payment? Just curious...

Can I update my pledge if I used Paypal? I got the $50 but I want to upgrade to $100.

How you do match up paypal pledges with the df forums account? I have a different email address for my paypal account...

" date="1376266813"]How you do match up paypal pledges with the df forums account? I have a different email address for my paypal account...

Send an email to support@doublefine.com and make sure to include all relevant information, including both email addresses.

Hey there,

I paypal backed over 24 hours ago and haven't received an email apart from the paypal receipt. :(

Halp, please!

Hello! I seem to be having the same issue as betafrogg. I haven't gotten an email either outside of a Paypal receipt as well and I placed by slacker backing about 6 days ago. I wasn't sure what kind of info I was supposed to receive for confirmation. Just wanted to make sure that everything went through.

Cheers.

*EDIT* Disregard this! I found the email crammed away in my spam folder for some reason. Glad that everything went through!

Basically, I backed with paypal using an email address which is different to this forum account. Is there anyway I can get my backer access transferred to this account? I sent an email to support late last month but never heard anything back.

Thanks

Basically, I backed with paypal using an email address which is different to this forum account. Is there anyway I can get my backer access transferred to this account? I sent an email to support late last month but never heard anything back.

Thanks

Fixed. Sorry for missing your email! The change should propagate out before too long.

Sign in to follow this