Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Turambar29

Dynastic Tome and Hero Epilogue

Given the kind of attachment we are anticipating to individual heroes and the bloodlines they found and contribute to, I'm interested in how they might show up in the end of the game to give some sense of achievement and closure. I propose two items:

1) Dynastic Tome - the various bloodlines could be tracked and represented in an attractive journal/scrapbook that would include history, stats, family trees, *and* visual representations of the heroes. What would it be like to have snapshots of each hero, with special pictures for special achievements? These could be for a) Founding a bloodline b) crucial role in battle c) achieving a quest c) cleansing the bloodline d) developing a new technique (plasma magic, dragoons, dual/fighter-mage class, etc.). This could provide utility and help foster the player-hero relationship as the game plays out. Epithets could be added when heroes die: "sacrificed himself in the battle of Sudden Flame" "turned the tide during the Siege of Tiriale" "protected the rearguard in the retreat at the fords"

2) Hero Gallery Epilogue - I'd love to see the significant heroes put together in a final epilogue sequence, culminating in a gallery/final picture incorporating many or all of them. It could be the final bloodline representatives, depicted alive and victorious, with their ancestors arrange around them as spirits. Individual appearances and names, it would be an ending to remember!

I realize this could be resource intensive, but can you think of another game that has done this, with this kind of granularity and attention to the individual, non-pregenerated, characters? Innovation!

They've mentioned they definitely want a way to showcase your bloodline, heroes of yore, etc. I look forward these sorts of things, since they add the whole 'story creation' that goes on inside my mind. Ha.

Smiles

I'm definitely interested in seeing how it works out. I like the wallpaper they came up with, with the spirits of the ancestors trailing the living hero. I'd love to see that x10 for the epilogue, customized for the individual heroes and bloodlines!

I'm definitely interested in seeing how it works out. I like the wallpaper they came up with, with the spirits of the ancestors trailing the living hero. I'd love to see that x10 for the epilogue, customized for the individual heroes and bloodlines!

Hm, that could be kind of cool, like a family tree, with the founder of the bloodline forming the 'trunk', and then upon death you have individuals in the 'tree' turn into spirits, so that by the endgame you can see the founders of your initial bloodlines' spirits, and then this winding tapestry of spirits that maps the route to your final heroes.

That's a different take from what I was thinking, but I like that, too! Gosh, it'll be hard to wait for the end result!

To throw in a third take... ;)

Victory celebrations in the palace, we see all survivng heroes of the current generation at a single ball/feast/MASSIVE PARTY! ;D! We pan down to the catacombs, to see the generation one before this, dancing with one another in the tombs. Continue panning down, one generation after another, until you see your original band of heroes unified once again. They're standing at a scrying pool, looking at the party going on, and smiling to see what their descendants have amounted to. :)

I like the idea of a log that keeps track of your progress in a way that makes it seem like a history book that might be kept in an archive somewhere. That seems super cool , like the sort of thing I'd enjoy knowing was there even if I never actually read it.

In one of my games, there was a Captain's log which got added to as you sailed around from island to island and had adventures. I kinda wish we'd been able to do more with that.

1) Dynastic Tome - ... b) crucial role in battle

I love this idea.

So often in games like this, players come to think of a character as the sum of their accomplishments on the battlefield. That came through pretty strongly in the XCom livestream the team did with, for example, Zhane. It would be great if the game could key off that by reminding you of each character's moments of awesome. Then you could flip through a bloodline's history and be reminded how character X was the sole survivor of the Battle of Redmarsh, while character Y killed eight demons single-handedly at the Battle of Pine Lake.

To throw in a third take... ;)

Victory celebrations in the palace, we see all survivng heroes of the current generation at a single ball/feast/MASSIVE PARTY! ;D! We pan down to the catacombs, to see the generation one before this, dancing with one another in the tombs. Continue panning down, one generation after another, until you see your original band of heroes unified once again. They're standing at a scrying pool, looking at the party going on, and smiling to see what their descendants have amounted to. :)

YES. DO IT.

:) The obvious issue with it is 'what do you do for heroes of this generation who're dead? My thought would be to have their spirits lingering on the edges of the first party, and any members of the generation before still alive should be there with them. After all, MASSIVE PARTY! ;D!

+1 on this. Maybe even a way to share that video with friends (create a mov, or youtube upload) of the heroic epilogue.

Sign in to follow this