Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Project Update 8: 6/7/13

THE SPACESHIP IS OFFICIALLY IN ALPHA!! And dudes, it's looking amaaaaaazing. I have proof!

projectupdate_130607_hallway.jpg

There was a lot of great work from all disciplines to make this happen. And high fives. There have been a lot of high fives.

We're now at the end of the first week of a sprint that is mostly focused back on the girl's world. We're working on the intro section in the girl's village and eventually will be getting back to the Maiden's Feast (which was actually the first section we worked on!). Additionally, Bagel is beginning early concepts and a style guide for one of the later girl world locations.

Another exciting development! Our casting director, the amazing Khris Brown, is currently talking to agents about casting and will be presenting us with audition tapes a week from Monday. The hope is to have our first VO session in early July.

We're also starting to get a grasp on what the new schedule post-rescoping is looking like. We're pretty much settled on a rough plan, and Matt and I are digging into the details. Hopefully soon we'll get those post-it notes back up on the wall. That will feel nice!

I want to say thanks again for all the amazing videos you guys submitted for the E3 video. Asif is editing it now, and I'm hearing it's turning out to be really great! We'll get it up on the forums for you guys as soon as it's done! As planned, Tim will be introducing the video on stage at Horizon Thursday, June 13th. And right when that's over at 11:00 PST you all can flip your videos public so the world can see your beautiful faces. GONNA BE AWESOME!

OH MY GOODNESS THAT IS AMAZING!!!!

Reminds me of a darker version of the upstairs hallway in DoTT!

Love it. <3

Woo! That looks great!

Can't see what the 2PP guys come up with for the backer video :)

Oh my gosh, I love the ship design!

tumblr_mea02n65wx1rnr73q.gif

The colors are gorgeous. I can't wait to see/hear the Cloud Colony and voice acting updates, too! So psyched to watch this game unfold.

THE SPACESHIP IS OFFICIALLY IN ALPHA!!
What is the level of work done for an area alpha? Does that mean that it all the puzzles are hooked up but dialogue or camera work still needs tuning or does it mean art is done, but it's fully playable yet? Or something else?

My excitement for MASSIVE CHALICE almost distracted me enough to miss this update. ALMOST.

But I am super happy that it didn't, because I see Broken Age team has been kicking ass over here.

*internet high five for everyone on the team*

awesome!

also, please! pretty please! make the BA team do some VOs for the game! or at least chris and you greg. the pre-vis VO was amazingly funny, especially the dialogue tree.

Here I am, eating ice cream and randomly browsing the Double Fine forums only to see this new update... with ice cream on the wall. That must be fate :)

Seriously though, really love the design, cannot wait to finally be able to play the game!

Reminds me of a darker version of the upstairs hallway in DoTT!
Funny, it reminds me of the upstairs hallway of the DoD in Grim Fandango. (That guy on the right looks like he's about to barf up a rainbow. Would the space janitor clean that up with stardust?) It seems like they're really going to be able to set a striking definition between "Fun Passenger Areas" and "Restricted Behind-the-Scenes Areas".

Another thing that's interesting to me is what this image says about pathing. This hallway isn't a simple L-R scroll, but a wide-angle panorama where the character will be primarily walking toward and away from the camera.

I guess the "3/4" presentation of the character models will handle this just fine with appropriate scaling, but I am more curious now about how each scene has its scaling defined.

I want to live on that spaceship.

I'd take any spaceship, but that one looks especially cozy.

Smiles

Looking great Greg!

I'm really looking forward to finding out and meeting the voice talent. That should make for some fine 2PP documentary watchin' type stuff.

It'd be REALLY cool if they included the audition process and stuff too!

I want to live on that spaceship.

I'd take any spaceship, but that one looks especially cozy.

Smiles

As long as it has an unlimited supply of Cinnamoons I'd be happy.

Beautiful! Thanks for the picture. And I'm still really liking the new paragraph style.

Doesn't this picture give you a feeling of the golden era of adventure games???

this is the first time i feel it

Doesn't this picture give you a feeling of the golden era of adventure games???

this is the first time i feel it

I've clicked EVERYWHERE on it, but nothing's happening. I thought they said no pixel-hunting!

Looking great Greg!

I'm really looking forward to finding out and meeting the voice talent. That should make for some fine 2PP documentary watchin' type stuff.

It'd be REALLY cool if they included the audition process and stuff too!

Seconding this. I'm really interested in the whole voice acting process, and there's not as much stuff out there of video game voice acting as there is for cartoons or anime dubbing. I think they're all equally important.

Sign in to follow this