• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
AaronMc

Carry over items to DLC on Mac

I beat the main quest and wanted to know if I can carry over my items to the DLC. So far when I start a new game Grubbins on Ice, Nothing is carried over. What am I doing wrong? I am playing the downloaded copy form humble bundle and not through Steam.

I'm getting that too. Same scenario: OS X, humble bundle standalone version...

Does anyone know if this is a bug or if we're just doing something wrong?

The same happens to me. Here’s what I do, the results I get and the ones I expect. Is it actully possible to carry items from the game to the DLC on other platforms? If so, how should you do it?

Context

Mac OS 10.6.8

Costume Quest 1.0 (dated may, 7 2013, 6:35pm)

Steps to reproduce

Of course, you need a game save near the end of Costume Quest.

First, we want to ensure we have no previous save for the DLC.

* Go to ~/Library/Application Support/Doublefine/CostumeQuest

* Move CQ_DLC_save_n (0 ≤ n ≤ 2) to trash

When this is done,

* Launch Costume Quest by double-clicking the app.

* Select Continue Game

* Select Costume Quest

* Select the slot on which you are nearby the end ; the game loads the save

* Play the game until you beat Big Bones. The credits roll

* At the end or during the credits, press B or whatever button that is on your controller ; you should be back to the main menu

Ok, so now you’ve finished the game. Watch, Grubbins with cold feet, here we come.

* Select Continue Game (I have the same result if I use New Game)

* Select Grubbins on Ice

* Select the same slot that your main game save is. The game launches the game.

* Wait through the cutscenes, select your playing character when offered to choose your leader

* Fight the fitght against the guards, get thrown down the cliff

* Press Y (or equivalent) to bring up the inventory

Expected results

The items collected during the game are still there : costumes, stamps, cards (screen 1 through 3), possibly bag.

Actual results

* Only the compulsory costumes are there (robot, knight, statue of liberty, space explorer (?), fries, ninja) except the grubbin costume

* Only the stamps provided for the first battle are there

* Your bag is the first, paper bag

* No card at all

Same for me, but on Linux. Items don't carry over (using the Steam version and the HIB version).

Thanks for the detail, folks. Sorry for the late reply here. We're looking into this.

Hi there,

I'm having the same problem with Grubins on Ice as the OP. I'm at the boss fight now, trying different set ups to mash up the baddies. Using the Steam version on 10.8.4. If you need more info, please let me know.

EDIT: Not that this stopped me from completing GoI!! I'm looking forward to any future versions.

Yeah, same problem on Linux with the current version.

Thanks for the detail, folks. Sorry for the late reply here. We're looking into this.

Please look into it for real / again after Amnesia Fortnight, I'd like to play the DLC with all my stuff :(

Have this issue with the Steam version on Linux (Ubuntu 12.10). Costumes necessary to play the DLC show up, but pages 1-3 of the candy trading cards, all but three battle stamps, and some of the costumes (black cat, rainbow unicorn, vampire, pumpkin scarecrow, and grubbin) don't carry over. I don't remember having this problem the time I played on Windows, but I could be mistaken.

Same problem here, standalone Humble Bundle Costume Quest for Mac. I can’t carry over my save info (costumes, stamps, etc.) into a “Grubbins on Ice” game, either by choosing “Continue Game” in Grubbins or by starting a new game.

Emailed Support two weeks ago. Still haven't heard anything back.

Hey, chill. They are neck deep in multiple projects already. They're aware of the problem, they'll get to it as soon as they can.

You're right, of course, and I certainly won't bother pestering them any further. This thread was started over a year ago, however, which does not inspire much confidence that it will be resolved any time soon. Moreover, there is something to be said for getting what one has already created to work properly before moving on to other projects. And there is always the danger of the concerns of Mac and even PC users getting lost in the noise of iOS issues.

Still no news on this, it seems? Looks like it affects the Steam version as well, but I was considering redeeming the Steam key included in the old Humble Bundle, to see if that might work better. But if I did so, would I be able to load my saved game from the standalone version?

Hopefully, since they're releasing the CQ1/CQ2 bundle, they might have a chance to look into this long lingering bug.

Yep, Same here. Running OSX 10.9.5 and latest version of Steam as of Feb 19, 2015. My costumes, trading cards, etc. don't carry over to the DLC.

Well, I guess any sort of update mandate at least some amount of QA, and thus is not that simple.

In the mean time, I’ll try the workaround and post details about it if it happens to work (which I have little doubt it will) when I try it this weekend – if I somehow manage to find my save file. I just bought Costume Quest 2 and was thinking “Oooh, I never actually played the DLC for that issue”, nice!

Thanks for the help.

You are welcome. Oh, I forgot to mention: if you too are using the standalone version, you will have to modify the instructions slightly. You will find the save files in Library/Application Support/Doublefine/CostumeQuest. Just in case you didn't already know.