Sign in to follow this  
PurpleMoustache

Mac version?

So I know all the AF games are PC only, but I have them on my Steam account. On the Mac (and Linux) versions of Steam, games that work on Mac have their own drop down tab under Library (like All Games, Downloaded Games, etc). Recently, Hack 'n' Slash has showed up there.

This happens for quite a few PC games, and then goes away after a while, but sometimes it signals that a Mac version is uploaded to Steam in some form, whether it be a Beta or a developer goofing around with multiple system builds.

So, why is there a Mac version showing up?

So I know all the AF games are PC only, but I have them on my Steam account. On the Mac (and Linux) versions of Steam, games that work on Mac have their own drop down tab under Library (like All Games, Downloaded Games, etc). Recently, Hack 'n' Slash has showed up there.

This happens for quite a few PC games, and then goes away after a while, but sometimes it signals that a Mac version is uploaded to Steam in some form, whether it be a Beta or a developer goofing around with multiple system builds.

So, why is there a Mac version showing up?

'Cause I ported it to Mac :D

It should work! Feel free to give it a shot.

Just noticed this today too. I gave it a try and unfortunately the build seems to be empty. When it downloads the retrieval is nearly instant (I can see the download screen flash past barely) and then when I click play it gives me an 'executable not found' error. I browsed the local files and found the folder to be empty.

The app manifest echoes this (SizeOnDisk is 0 as are BytesToDownload and BytesDownloaded):

"AppState"

{

"appID"        "228080"

"Universe"        "1"

"StateFlags"        "4"

"installdir"        "Hack n Slash Prototype"

"LastUpdated"        "1371335183"

"UpdateResult"        "0"

"SizeOnDisk"        "0"

"buildid"        "67950"

"UserID"        "*******redacted*******"

"BytesToDownload"        "0"

"BytesDownloaded"        "0"

"UserConfig"

{

"name"        "Hack n Slash Prototype"

"GameID"        "228080"

"language"        "english"

}

"MountedDepots"

{

}

}

It's nice to see you're still putting some work into this! I'd love it if HnS became one of the new Indy fund titles (here's hoping).

Seth B

Just to confirm: I noticed it as playable on Mac as well, however when I try to install and run it I get an "missing program file" error, probably the same error that Seth was describing. Perhaps just some small misconfiguration on the Steam side?

Brandon PMd me and they are working on it. I assume this is not a high priority so no idea if/when it will get fixed up. Perhaps if more people are posting in here so they know how many people it is affecting!

Seth B

Hey folks, I think I may have worked out the configuration details that were preventing this from working. Mind giving it another shot?

Bingo! That fixed things for me. Launched it up and everything seemed good!

Thanks for the port!

Seth B.

I love that you're still working on this. It gives me hope for a full version in the future.

I do most of my gaming on Linux these days, so I wonder if you've got any plans for a Linux version?

I'd love to get a Linux version on Steam at some point! This was just a little spare time project for me because I'm a Mac user at home, so it was easy for me to noodle on. If I wind up with a quiet weekend sometime in the future, I'd enjoy setting up a Linux partition and hammering on it. I can't make any promises on timeline, though; this one obviously took me quite a while to finish off!

Did you see this thread, though? People have already had some luck getting it to work in an unofficial capacity.

Now that you mention it, I did actually see that thread before. It was after I had completed the prototype on Windows, so I didn't look more into it at the time. Might try it now though, so thanks for the reminder.

So there's no official development on the prototype. Well, it's still really nice that you're working on it, and it's obvious that you've put a lot of care into it already. I hope it gets picked up for further development sometime, because the game itself and the whole meta aspect around it felt really unique. I doubt that there's anything quite like it. At least nothing that I've ever heard of.

Sign in to follow this