Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
flesk

Video Game Deals

This might be an ambitious undertaking, but I thought it would be nice to try to collect game deals in a thread like this. I know things like this often show up in egr, but it's easy to miss stuff there. Obviously there's a ton of different sites offering deals all the time, and it's easy to miss a killer deal on a game you're interested in. I'm not sure how to best do this, so I'll probably stumble my way through the first couple of posts until I find my footing. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Steam Daily Deal:

80% off Trine 2: Complete Story (Windows/Mac/Linux): 3,39€ / $3.99

IndieGameStand.com:

Pay what you want for Snorms (Windows/Mac/Linux/Android), (DRM-free/Desura)

-Beat the average: Map pack, Snorms OST

Shit, I don't really have time to do this right now, but I'll come back later and tidy things up a bit. There's also the current Humble Bundle and the Archlight Bundle at least. I'm going to try to find a good template for displaying this stuff in a tidy fashion.

That's a good deal on Trine 2. I'm tempted but I have a feeling it will be in a bundle pretty soon.

Yeah, should have mentioned that the whole franchise is 80% off. Trine 2 hasn't been in any bundles yet, so sure there's a chance it might pop up in one in the future. The first one was in the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle plus some other bundle I don't remember. Whether or not you should get it now depends on how much you want it at the moment.

I'm thinking of including prices in Euros and USD where relevant, so I might do end dates in CET plus some US time zone. Which one would cover most of you guys? I'll link to timeanddate.com or some similar service.

I say forget the second, just play the first - it's a lot better imho.

Amazon is having some really great deals on Indie games right now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?tag=cheapassgam08-20&docId=1001225021

I got a bundle with The Cave, Strike Suit Zero some other stuff and Free copies of The Huntsman and The Curse of Nordic Cove and something else all for $10. That's a pretty awesome deal to me. Free promotional games are changing with the dates of when you purchase stuff.

6/6-7/17 All are $9.99, all revenue goes directly to the developer.

Oh So Fine And Dandy Bundle contains:

Brutal Legend

Costume Quest

Iron Brigade

Psyconauts

Stacking

The Cave

Into the Darkness Pack contains:

Darkfall: Lost Souls

Darkfall: Lights Out

Darkness Within

Darkness Within 2

LHOD Society of the Serpent Moon

Digital Tribe Treasure Trove contains:

Dream Pinball 3D

Hotel Giant 2

Insecticide

Legendary

Raven Squad

RooGoo

Section 8

Trine

Two Worlds Epic Edition

Velvet Assassin

Digital Tribe Grab Bag contains:

Cargo Commander

Kung Fu Strike

Section 8

Stronghold 3

Velvet Assassin

Across the Pond Pack contains:

cloudphobia

Flying Red Barrel

Gundeadligne

QLIONE

SUGURI

6/6-6/12:

Cavern of Fire Zero Pack contains:

Galaxy on Fire 2 HD

Little Inferno

Sol Survivor

Strike Suit Zero

The Cave

Indie Action Pack contains:

AirBuccaneers

Blockland

Drip Drop

Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood

Foreign Legion: Multi Massacre

Miner Warfare

Mutant Mudds

Potatoman Seeks the Troof

Primal Fears

Spacechem

Gaijin Tipped Out Pack contains (plus get a $7.49 credit towards BIT.Trip Presents...Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien)

BIT.Trip Beat

BIT.Trip Core

BIT.Trip Runner

BIT.TRIP Void

Those are some awesome deals. Are these infrequent sales featured anywhere? I don't think I get e-mail notifications about them despite having bought similar bundles from them before. I've been working on automating Steam and GOG deals updates with a script and it could be nice to include these as well.

I'm not sure. The games I've bought in the past all came with Steam keys, so I'm not sure if they're even downloadable from Amazon. I'll check it out later.

EDIT: From Amazon Games and Software Terms of Use:

Publishers may choose to protect their Applications using a digital rights management ("DRM") system implemented through the Store Software or using the Publisher's or a third party's DRM that Publisher provides with its Applications.

Sadly it doesn't appear to be at all clear from the individual store pages if a game is protected by DRM or not.

Steam Daily Deal:

87/90% off Rome: Total War™ (Windows): 1.00€ / $1.00

3 bonus percents off if you're from the US.

Oh, and I almost forgot:

Steam Midweek Madness:

* 50% off Monster Loves You! (Windows): 3,49€ / $4.99

* 75% off LEGO The Lord of the Rings (Windows): 7,50€ / $7.50

I got LEGO LotR a while back when it was crazy cheap through GreenManGaming.com. Haven't played it much yet, as I found that I much prefer playing LEGO games on console. Monster Loves You! I've had on my wishlist for a couple of weeks. It looks like a charming little indie title, but I'm not sure if I'll pick it up now or wait and see if it shows up in a future bundle.

Oh ok, i thought Amazon had it's own thing going, if they come with Steam key then that's a whole different story.

I can really recommend Lego Lord, if you like either Lego or Lord of the Rings then that's a really good game, it's not that true to the books or films, but most charming and sweet.

Oh So Fine And Dandy Bundle, Cavern of Fire Zero Pack and Gaijin Tipped Out Pack uses Steam for DRM. Across the Pond Pack is DRM-free and the rest are listed as mixed, so you'd have to check each game individually to figure out what kind of (if any) DRM they use.

I played up until the first encounter with the ringwraiths of LEGO LotR. It seemed good enough, but the keyboard controls are very awkward, so I thought I'd wait until I eventually get a controller to continue playing it.

Rage is 61% off (7.79€ / $7.79) on GamersGate.com and activates on Steam.

I'm not a big fan of GamersGate.com, but they do have some good deals on Steam keys every now and then, so I might cover those. I prefer GOG.com, DRM-free independent (preferably through the Humble Store) and Steam, but if anyone have other preferences I might listen. Preferably from some store with easily parseable html.

Steam Daily Deal:

75% off Chaos on Deponia (Windows/Mac): 4,99€ / $4.99

The puzzles in this game are reminiscent of those of the classics, both in difficulty and style. It's a pretty good title if you come to terms with the humor and don't mind the protagonist being a total dick. This time more so than in the first installment.

GOG Indie Gem Promo:

60% off Richard and Alice (Windows): $2.39

I've been thinking about getting this one for a while and this is certainly a nice price. It's an adventure with a strong emphasis on story but it's the unique premise that caught my attention when I first heard about it.

EDIT: If any of you have played some of the games I'm listing, feel free to share some words about them so it's not just me double and triple posting into infinity.

Thanks for keeping this going Flesk. Some good deals.

I played Rage on the 360, it was decent. Gunplay was good, and had some neat parts. The ending was pretty abrupt and not very satisfying to me. But for under $10 it may be worth checking out for some people.

As for the Amazon Indie sale stuff, I do think many of the bundles have games that are Steam activated. But it's best to make sure on the store page before you purchase anything. I think they've changed the free games you receive from Indie game purchases to include The Maw now.

If anyone is interested, I have a few games from my bundle that I most likely won't play. Maybe we could bring back that Steam trading thread from a while ago?

I hadn't heard of The Maw before, but it looks interesting. I'll have to check out some gameplay videos of it tonight.

Didn't know you had a Steam trading thread here, but that could be interesting. I'm pretty sure I have some games in my inventory that I likely won't end up playing. I also usually store games I buy in my inventory in case I end up getting them with a multi game Steam key from a bundle or something before I get to play them.

Yea I played a demo for The Maw on the 360, it seems like a neat game.

I could have sworn we had a Steam trading thread on here at some point. Maybe I'll try to go back and find it. I think it may be a neat idea to bring back.

Edit- Looking back I guess it was a Steam Christmas Trading Thread. If there is interest, maybe we can start a new general trading thread?

IndieGameStand.com:

Pay what you want for Paranautical Activity (Windows/Mac/Linux), (DRM-free/Desura)

-Beat the average: Paranautical Activity OST

I've never heard of it so I'll let the store description speak for me:

Paranautical Activity combines the classic FPS action of games like Doom and Quake, with the randomness and difficulty of modern roguelikes like Binding of Isaac and Spelunky.

I don't know about this one specifically, but these games are pretty hit and miss. There have been some very good games featured in the past though. Today's Steam deal was one of the first featured sales on IndieGameStand.com.

Steam Daily Deal:

50% off Gnomoria (Windows): 2,99€ / $3.99

It looks a lot like Dwarf Fortress only with graphics. Don't know if it plays like it though.

There's also a new Humble Weekly Sale up now:

Pay what you want for:

* Anomaly Warzone Earth (Windows/Mac/Linux) (Steam) (+OST)

* Anomaly Warzone Earth: Mobile Campaign (Windows/Mac/Linux/Android)

* Sleepwalker’s Journey (Windows/Mac/Linux/Android) (+OST)

* Funky Smugglers (Windows/Mac/Linux/Android) (+OST)

Beat the average for:

* Anomaly Korea (Windows/Mac/Linux/Android) (+OST)

* Hell Hound: Anomaly 2 model for 3D printing

Don't know what to say about these games. The Anomaly games don't interest me at all. Sleepwalker's Journey looks cute and could be fun, but I see myself getting bored with it quickly.

Agreed. Their indie bundles are a lot more varied, so there's usually at least a couple of interesting games in it. These weekly bundles depends on whether or not you like the stuff that particular publisher has in its portfolio.

Apparently the Steam weekend deals are up already too. My script crapped out because of the age verification on the Witcher game, which only happens on the US store front. Anyway...

Weekend Deal:

* 66% off The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition (Windows/Mac): 6,79€ / $6.79

* 33% off Kerbal Space Program (Windows/Mac/Linux): 14,73€ / $15.40

There's also some other bundles now, which I totally forgot about:

The Archlight Bundle (link):

Pay what you want for:

* A Valley Without Wind (Windows/Mac) (Steam/Desura)

* A Valley Without Wind 2 (Windows/Mac) (Steam/Desura)

* Tidalis (Windows/Mac) (Steam/Desura)

* Shattered Haven (Windows/Mac) (Steam/Desura)

* And a crap ton of AI War games, which I assume no one gives a fuck about (Windows/Mac) (Steam/Desura)

Build a Meridian 4 pt. 2 (link):

Pay what you want for:

* Syberia (Windows) (Steam)

* Syberia 2 (Windows) (Steam)

* Still Life (Windows) (Steam)

* Still Life 2 (Windows) (Steam)

* A lot of stuff probably not worth checking out (I could be wrong though (I've played through Nikopol and it sucks))

As more bundles are sold, more games unlock.

Fuck, there's more!?

The Indie Gala June (link):

Pay what you want for:

Creatures: The Albian Years

Pirates of Black Cove (Steam)

*Unlocks 2nd Week* (Desura)

Beat the average (maybe?) for:

Chester (Desura)

Sword of the Stars: Complete Collection (Steam)

Vessel + Original Concept Art (Steam)

AquaNox (Steam)

*Unlocks 2nd Week* (Steam)

What's this? Another higher average? I have no idea how this one works.

Pay slightly more for:

Star Ruler (Steam)

Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes (Steam)

A New Beginning: Final Cut (Steam)

This bundle have a shitty way of listing stuff, so I won't bother with platforms until I've made a script to parse this stuff. There's also a lock icon on some of the announced games, but I don't know if that means they have DRM or that they depend on number of bundles sold or something.

I got Chester for free when I signed up for IndieGameStand.com before launch, but I haven't tried it yet. Vessel is really a ton of fun and worth some money if you're into that kind of games. Edna & Harvey 2 and A New Beginning are supposed to be good if you like adventure games, but I haven't gotten around to playing them myself yet, so I can't say.

The first Witcher game is 66% off too. It's kind of hidden on the store page for The Witcher 2 though. I bought them both. Played a bt of The Witcher 2 on 360, and it seems pretty cool. Probably the closest we'll get to a proper Game of Thrones game.

Dishonored is $20 on steam right now. It's a really good game in my opinion. At least from a gameplay standpoint, the story is meh.

Looks pretty cool. I might get it when it drops to $5.

There seems to be more week long deals but I can't find them all listed anywhere.

Here are some week long deals on steam:

Dishonered:$29.99 $20.09 33% off

Painkiller Hell and Damnation:$19.99 $4.99 75% off

Super Hexagon:$2.99 $0.99 67% off

Future Wars:$4.99 $1.24 75% off

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days:$9.99 $4.99 50% off

Symphony:$9.99 $4.99 50% off

Space Empires V:$14.99 $3.74 75% off

there are more deals than that though.

GOG Promo - 60% off Notable Nordic Games (link):

* Gothic 2 Gold Edition (Windows): $3.99

* Gothic 3 (Windows): $3.99

* Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition (Windows): $3.99

* Painkiller Black Edition (Windows): $3.99

* Alien Nations (Windows): $2.39

* Nations Gold Edition, The (Windows): $3.99

* Spellforce Platinum (Windows): $3.99

* Spellforce 2: Shadow Wars (Windows): $3.99

* Spellforce 2: Dragon Storm (Windows): $3.99

* Neighbours From Hell Compilation (Windows): $3.99

* Guild Gold Edition, The (Windows): $2.39

* AquaNox (Windows): $2.39

* AquaNox 2: Revelation (Windows): $2.39

* Panzer Elite Special Edition (Windows): $2.39

* Chaser (Windows): $2.39

* Book of Unwritten Tales, The (Windows/Mac): $7.99

* Book Of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles, The (Windows/Mac): $7.99

Looks like GOG has some Painkiller for us as well. They're probably both inspired by Tim's recent medical condition (poor guy). The Book of Unwritten Tales is the only one of these I've played, and I quite liked it. Haven't tried the sequel though, but I hear it's not as good and rather short. More like an expansion of sorts than a proper sequel.

Sign in to follow this