Sign in to follow this  
flesk

Video Game Deals

A new bundle is up.

Humble Weekly Sale:

* Shank (Windows/Linux/Mac) (DRM-free/Steam)

* Shank 2 (Windows/Linux/Mac) (DRM-free/Steam)

* Eets (Windows/Mac) (DRM-free/Steam)

This are all games made by Klei Entertainment, the developers behind Mark of the Ninja. Both Shank games have been in several bundles before and are side-scrolling brawlers. Eets has only been in the 2011 Xmas Bundle from indieroyale.com before. It's their debut game and is described as a humorous 2D puzzle game.

As always with these bundles you pay what you want, and at least $1 to get Steam keys.

mark of the ninja was good enough to actually make me retroactively interested in shank, even though it seems like something i wouldn't be into. i'll buy it for a dollar.

Same here actually. I have them from before, but wasn't remotely interested in playing them until after I was talked into playing Mark of the Ninja, and really liked it. Now at least I've gotten as far as to install the games on my computer. I'll probably just pay a dollar or two for Eets.

It's a little bit sad that the quality of the HIB/HWS went down in a noticeable way. Some time ago the HIB was far ahead of its competition but nowadays they sometimes release stuff which could come from a competitor as well. Offering not this awesome bundles/sales kind of drags down their reputation. Rereleasing old games, not crossy games, not this great games isn't the most exciting thing to do. On the other hand also these bundles generate some money but it's always significantly less than when they from time to time intersperse a good one again.

The latest Indie Gala contains some DROD games but also in such a messy way (some are DRM free, some come with Desura, then we have some Steam games) that you might better stay away from it. Dunno, is it really this hard putting together quality packs with taste and focus instead of throwing in all you can grab without any sense?

i feel like the main series of humble bundles are still top notch. even the android or weekly bundles are better than the stuff on indie gala or what have you.

now the steam sales, that's where i've noticed a real decrease in bargains over the past year or so. here's hoping they make this summer sale a good one.

They certainly aren't as bad as one of the other badly put together bundles yet but i disagree in a way that in earlier days you could blindly buy any HIB. Today you first take look if it's interesting what they're offering. You can also read about this change of view on gaming forums and last but not least by looking at their sales numbers.

I also think the Humble Indie Bundles are still really good, and those are the ones that get the cross platform treatment. That two of the games in the new Humble Weekly Sale are cross platform is only because they were featured previous HIBs. Sure, I'm often only interested in a quarter of the games, but then again I own a lot more games now than I did when they first started out. I just give less for the bundles and I feel fine with it. I can always just give away the extra keys to someone else.

I feel like the other bundles are a lot more hit and miss. It's understandable in a way, since even IndieGala.com, IndieRoyale.com and Groupees.com didn't become popular until a while after HIB was well established, and even now they aren't near as recognizable as a brand as HIB. This probably makes it harder for them to attract the bigger names on the indie scene, because maybe they feel like they won't get enough exposure to make it worth it. Sure every now and then there's some really good stuff in those bundles to, but in my opinion that's more the exception than the rule. There's very seldom I find more than a single game in any of those bundles that I want, as with HIB it's usually at least three.

This is all opinions of course. I can certainly understand why you feel the way you do, taumel. You've probably been buying HIBs since the start as well, and there's no denying there's less and less in those bundles if you bought every bundle up until now.

What I really missed this year that was probably one of the best game deal events last year was the Because We May sale. That was really awesome. I probably spent way too much on that one.

I started writing my reply before you wrote this, but was distracted by work, so my previous reply was to everything before this.

They certainly aren't as bad as one of the other badly put together bundles yet but i disagree in a way that in earlier days you could blindly buy any HIB. Today you first take look if it's interesting what they're offering. You can also read about this change of view on gaming forums and last but not least by looking at their sales numbers.

Yeah, that's exactly it. But I do think some of this is down to them having exhausted the marked of the big indie hits. Several of the completely unknown games they have had on offer lately have been very pleasant surprises for me, so I think they're still good at digging out the good stuff, but they might not look as appealing at a first glance. That, I think, is a main factor why they generate less sales, as not everyone is as interested in taking a chance at what might not be for them.

Yep, like you say, if you have been on board from the beginning, it sometimes can be hard to find something reasonable which is new and interesting enough to be worth your playing time. You might buy the bundles due to charity or collecting reasons but do you also download and really play the games? The latest HIB might be interesting to a limited audience due to Android only and the latest HWS doesn't offer something new and interesting as well as games like Don't Starve or Mark of the Ninja aren't included, which might be due to that they are still too valuable for them to be offered in this bundle or are planned for an upcoming HIB already but it's this lack of new interesting games which makes the bundles less attractive.

I wonder if they're having problems getting more great games on board more frequently. There are tons of Indie games around but only a fraction of them is really interesting (obviously this depends on your personal taste). Maybe whilst being a great option for some devs, the Indie market also has evolved and emancipated itself so that it's not this necessary and attractive anymore just for everyone.

Thinking about this, it's a riddle to me why a game like FTL has never showed up there yet.

A bunch of GOG deals again today:

Bullfrog Classics Bundle (link):

75% off for a total of $14.90 or 50% on select titles:

* Dungeon Keeper™ (Windows/Mac)

* Dungeon Keeper™ 2 (Windows)

* Populous™ (Windows/Mac)

* Populous™ 2: Trials of the Olympian Gods (Windows/Mac)

* Populous™: The Beginning (Windows)

* Syndicate Wars™ (Windows/Mac)

* Syndicate™ (Windows/Mac)

* Theme Hospital (Windows/Mac)

* Magic Carpet™ (Windows/Mac)

* Magic Carpet™ 2: The Netherworlds (Windows/Mac)

GOG Telltale Games promos:

* 85% off Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space (Windows): $4.49

* 85% off Sam & Max Save the World (Windows): $4.49

* 85% off Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse (Windows): $5.24

* 85% off Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures (Windows): $2.99

* 85% off Tales of Monkey Island (Windows): $5.24

* 85% off Back to the Future: The Game (Windows): $3.74

In my opinion the TTG stuff is absolutely worth it at that price, with the exception of BTTF:TG. You might like that too it if you're a BTTF fan looking for a continuation of the movies, but it's stripped of gameplay and challenge and so it is not for fans of adventure games.

@taumel: It could be that the fact that there are other very good ways to get exposure as an indie developer these days makes it less lucrative. There's Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight, which brings as much attention without the risk of saturating your market while selling off at low prices. This could also be a reason why it might be worth it to Klei as long as they're only selling their older games, since those are games they don't make much money on anymore anyway, but it's still exposure that might bring attention to them as developers and thus help them sell more copies of Mark of the Ninja and Don't Starve at full price.

This could explain why FTL hasn't showed up there yet, as they got a lot of attention through Kickstarter and still get a lot of media attention as one of the first big Kickstarter success stories. I'm guessing they still sell relatively well through more traditional channels.

Don't Starve is too new for a bundle and Mark of the Ninja was published by Microsoft, so they probably still control distribution.

Ah, right. I knew that MotN was published by Microsoft from when I recommended it to a coworker who use Mac, but I forgot. That's really unfortunate.

@flesk

It certainly has an influence on your normal sales but i somehow doubt that you saturate the market by releasing in a bundle for one/two week(s), the window is too short if you see it from a mid/long term perspective. I wonder what Amanita Design says about this. You also shouldn't be afraid of warez because no matter if it's in a bundle or not, the games show up on the usual sites anyway. There was a time when the Humble guys were proud to say that the money from the sales would have been enough to fund the games, i guess it's safe to say that this isn't the case for every bundle anymore.

As for Klei: Microsoft being the publisher is a reasonable reason.

Still, even if there's no saturation and no real loss of sales it could well be that developers might think there is, so that the effect is the same. Of course that's just speculation on my part.

IndieGameStand.com (link):

Pay what you want for:

Constant C (Windows) (DRM-free/Desura)

Beat the average for:

Constant C OST

This looks like a high quality 2D puzzle platformer with such gameplay elements as the ability to freeze time and change the direction of gravity. I'd definitely pick it up if I didn't just get it in that Groupees bundle that also had Primordia. Be Mine 8 I think.

Platformers Reborn Pack (link):

75% off for a total of $11.21 or 50% on select titles:

* Snapshot (Windows/Mac)

* Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Windows)

* Capsized (Windows)

* Pid (Windows/Mac)

Library of Myst (link):

75% off for a total of $ 9.45 or 50% on select titles:

* Myst 5: End of Ages (Limited Edition) (Windows)

* Myst: Masterpiece Edition (Windows)

* Real Myst (Windows)

* Riven: The Sequel to Myst (Windows)

* Uru: Complete Chronicles (Windows)

I'm not familiar with Capsized, but the rest of the games in that bundle are very good. Giana's a bit on the hard side, but is definitely for you if you're a fan of old school platformers. The Myst pack speaks for itself.

Steam Daily Deal:

33% off Surgeon Simulator 2013 (Windows/Mac/Linux): 6, 69€ / $6.69

Of Steam Greenlight fame. You know the one that just got Medic and Heavy from TF2 added to it.

Wadjet Eye Selection (link):

80% off or 50% on select titles:

* Resonance (Windows/Mac)

* Primordia (Windows/Mac)

* Blackwell Bundle (Windows/Mac)

* Gemini Rue (Windows/Mac)

Kain and Raziel Saga (link):

75% off or 50% on select titles:

* Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2 (Windows)

* Legacy of Kain: Defiance (Windows)

* Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (Windows)

* Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 (Windows)

The Wadjet Eye games are some of the best classic adventure games to have come out the last decade.

Go get the Legacy of Kain games everyone! They're great action/adventure with really deep Gothic storylines.

More GOG deals:

Indie Adventure Awesomeness (link):

75% off for a total of $18.69 or 50% on select titles:

* Botanicula (Windows/Mac)

* Machinarium: Collector's Edition (Windows/Mac)

* Cat Lady, The (Windows)

* Stacking (Windows)

* Lucius (Windows)

* To The Moon (Windows)

Turn-based Strategies Supreme (link):

75% off for a total of $12.43 or 50% on select titles:

* Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri™ (Windows/Mac)

* Master of Magic (Windows)

* Master of Orion 1+2 (Windows/Mac)

* Colonization, Sid Meier's (Windows/Mac)

* Fragile Allegiance (Windows)

* Galactic Civilizations I: Ultimate Edition (Windows)

* Space Empires IV: Deluxe (Windows)

Steam Daily Deal:

66% off Fable - The Lost Chapters (Windows): 3, 05€ / $3.39

No weekly sales as far as I can tell. Does that mean the summer sales are right around the corner?

Ack I missed the Legacy of Kain deals. Ah well, I hope to see those again for cheap sometime in the future. I'd rebuy them if they were cheap enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if GOG does all the sales at once at the end of the summer sales. If I remember correctly they did that last year.

Here's today's batch of GOG deals:

Introversion Originals (link):

80% off for a total of $7.16 or 50% on select titles:

* Darwinia (Windows/Mac)

* Multiwinia (Windows/Mac)

* DEFCON (Windows/Mac)

* Uplink: Hacker Elite (Windows/Mac)

Plus 75% off some single games:

* FTL: Faster Than Light (Windows/Mac): $2.49

* Defender's Quest (Windows/Mac): $3.74

* Zafehouse: Diaries (Windows): $2.49

* King of Dragon Pass (Windows): $1.49

Has there been any news on when Steam's Summer Sale is supposed to start. I am excited so see what they do, but at the same time I may avoid buying much of anything this year, so I can finish my backlog. Also GOG and Amazon are really bringing some competition for Steam to have some good sales.

Green Man Gaming is worth keeping an eye on right now as well. Their big sale is running at the moment, and many of their games are redeemed on Steam.

Not sure when the Steam sales starts. It's usually kind of a secret up until the last minute. Yeah, Amazon have some good sales, but you have to do some digging to find them.

Thanks for the tip, Syd. I'll have a look at it later. For now, here's the new Steam deals:

Steam Daily Deal:

50% off Kinetic Void (Windows/Mac/Linux): 9,49€ / $9.99

Midweek Madness:

* 75% off Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (Windows): 3,49€ / $4.99

* 50% off Dust: An Elysian Tail (Windows): 6,99€ / $7.49

Kinetic Void is an early access game, which means it's not done yet, but you get to play it now and track it as it develops.