Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
flesk

Video Game Deals

There more games there are, the less you will play.

That depends. If you tend to get overwhelmed by having a lot of games and end up not playing anything because you can't choose, then sure. I prefer having a lot of choices because it varies so much what kind of games I want to play and having at least one game for every particular mood actually helps me find something to play. If I don't find anything I want to play I'm more likely to just waste time playing simple mobile games that I only regret spending time on afterwards. Things like endless runners, solitaire, match threes or spelling games.

Yeah, awesome new IndieGameStand deal. It's the first one with a potential mass appeal in a while.

I'd also recommend getting Evoland and The Cave from the latest Steam flash deals.

@flesk

No, i think there is some general truth in this statement, at least for me. Reduction and focus are important, otherwise things loose a certain degree of their uniqueness and attraction and justification to spend time on them. Dunno, imagine there are a dozens of beautiful women around you or if it's only just one. The situation is a lot more exciting in the second case. I rather encounter aspects i enjoy in a not this perfect game instead of getting flooded by good games because the optionality/replaceability drags down the experience.

Mass production somehow can be annoying already and needs to be filtered accordingly but if quality adds to the mass production as well, it can take away the motivation/justification to spend time on a certain activity. You weren't more happier when you got 20 instead of 2 games only because when you got those 2 games you also had the time to play those games in depth and it also felt right to invest your time into them, you really saw those two games with different eyes than the 20 ones.

Steam

Daily Deals:

- 60% off Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

- 80% off Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition

- 75% off Dead Island

- 66% off Don't Starve

- 66% off Final Fantasy VII

- 50% off Game Dev Tycoon

- 50% off Papers, Please

- 66% off The In credible Adventures of Van Helsing (which aren't all THAT incredible, to be honest)

- 75%off XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Flash Deals:

- 75% off Killing Floor

- 80% off Sanctum 2

- 50% off Skullgirls

- 75% off System Shock 2 (buy it buy it BUY IT)

GamersGate

These guys have LOADS of discounts right now. SO many I can't list them all without going insane.

Highlights include:

- 75% off the Double Fine Bundle (Brutal Legend, Costume Quest, Psychonauts and Stacking)

- 70% off King's Bounty: Platinum Edition

- 66% off the Operation Flashpoint complete bundle

- 66% off the Overlord complete pack

- 75% off The Basement Collection

- 75% off the Torchlight complete pack

...and more.

Humble Bundle

The latest Weekly sale is up, and it's... interesting.

$1 tier:

- Jamestown

- Closure

- S.P.A.Z.

- Shatter

$6 tier:

- Dungeon Defenders

- Defense Grid Gold

No, i think there is some general truth in this statement, at least for me. Reduction and focus are important, otherwise things loose a certain degree of their uniqueness and attraction and justification to spend time on them. Dunno, imagine there are a dozens of beautiful women around you or if it's only just one. The situation is a lot more exciting in the second case. I rather encounter aspects i enjoy in a not this perfect game instead of getting flooded by good games because the optionality/replaceability drags down the experience.

Mass production somehow can be annoying already and needs to be filtered accordingly but if quality adds to the mass production as well, it can take away the motivation/justification to spend time on a certain activity. You weren't more happier when you got 20 instead of 2 games only because when you got those 2 games you also had the time to play those games in depth and it also felt right to invest your time into them, you really saw those two games with different eyes than the 20 ones.

I definitely prefer having choice. Sure, a lot of the mass produced stuff is pretty much the same, because big publisher don't like taking risks, and rather go for what has a proven appeal. Those games usually don't appeal to me though, and I think at least 95% of the games I buy would be considered indie. I don't want to feel like I'm playing the same game over and over but I don't want to force myself through games I end up not liking either. Not everything I get is as good as I hope it will be when I get it, but that's the nice thing about Steam sales: the prices are low enough that it's worth taking a chance at something you might not like. And that's presumably how developers/publishers can afford to sell their games for a pittance during sales; because enough people are like me and think it's worth spending a few bucks on a game even if they might not end up even playing it.

Humble Bundle

The latest Weekly sale is up, and it's... interesting.

$1 tier:

- Jamestown

- Closure

- S.P.A.Z.

- Shatter

$6 tier:

- Dungeon Defenders

- Defense Grid Gold

I think all of those have been in previous Humble Bundles, except Defense Grid.

Closure is a really good game, but pretty hard for a puzzle adventure. It was one of my Six in September games.

I think all of those have been in previous Humble Bundles, except Defense Grid.

Edit: No it was in an Indieroyale Bundle, back when they still had games worth having in their bundles.

Yeah, two of them according to Indie Game Bundle Wiki. It looks like it was just the game though, and none of the DLC.

@flesk

Most Indie games are as streamlined and boring as big publisher games are/used to be (choose whatever pleases you). They just operate on a different level. It's only a few games which really stand out and which are interesting/different/pushing the medium forwards/having a lasting impression/... but there is a larger amount of games which are quite good and which you can't play anymore under realistic conditions (having a job, a family, other hobbies as well), you probably can't even identify them all anymore. If you're able to play somehow 9-12 games a year you're already very lucky.

I would prefer to focus on playing Zork on the moon than having a Steam library trying to catch up every day on earth.

or

One clean sound in silence beats all those medleys with white noise in the background.

Steam

Flash Deals:

- 50% off Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

- 33% off Gunpoint

- 50% off Limbo

- 50% off Heroes of Might and Magic VI

Most Indie games are as streamlined and boring as big publisher games are/used to be (choose whatever pleases you). They just operate on a different level. It's only a few games which really stand out and which are interesting/different/pushing the medium forwards/having a lasting impression/... but there is a larger amount of games which are quite good and which you can't play anymore under realistic conditions (having a job, a family, other hobbies as well), you probably can't even identify them all anymore. If you're able to play somehow 9-12 games a year you're already very lucky.

Sure, there's a lot of indie games that are more or less copypasta of popular games. That's especially a problem on mobile, but I think it's relatively easy to avoid those games. I don't have any problem finding games that I genuinely think is worth playing though, so it probably depends a lot on personal taste. If you play adventure games exclusively, I can see where you're coming from, as it's really hard to find enough adventure games that are truly engaging to fill your gaming schedule.

I play games for an average of about an hour a day and can easily get through 9-12 games a year, so I consider myself lucky. A lot of the games I play are only 2-5 hours long though, but I much prefer a focused gameplay experience to games that are padded to hell to last 50+ hours. I'm not saying all 50+ hours games are, but some definitely are in my opinion.

I would prefer to focus on playing Zork on the moon than having a Steam library trying to catch up every day on earth.

or

One clean sound in silence beats all those medleys with white noise in the background.

Sure, there's a lot of things to do in life that are more meaningful than playing video games. But why bother with those, when GOG just started their Black Friday Weekend Promo, with 70% off select games:

* RollerCoaster Tycoon: Deluxe (Windows): $1.79

* RollerCoaster Tycoon 2: Triple Thrill Pack (Windows): $2.99

* Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, The (Windows): $4.49

* Alone in the Dark 1+2+3 (Windows/Mac): $1.79

* Commandos 2+3 (Windows): $2.99

* Rollercoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum! (Windows): $5.99

* Raiden Legacy (Windows/Mac): $2.99

* Capitalism 2 (Windows): $2.99

* Commandos Ammo Pack (Windows): $1.79

* Master of Magic (Windows): $1.79

* Warlords Battlecry 3 (Windows): $2.99

* Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (Windows): $1.79

* Constructor (Windows/Mac): $1.79

* Waxworks (Windows/Mac): $1.79

* Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon (Windows/Mac): $2.99

* Guilty Gear X2 #Reload (Windows/Mac): $1.79

* Raptor: Call of the Shadows 2010 Edition (Windows): $1.79

* Creatures Village (Windows): $1.79

* Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive (Windows/Mac): $2.99

* Creatures: The Albian Years (Windows): $1.79

* Realms of the Haunting (Windows/Mac): $1.79

* Tex Murphy: Overseer (Windows): $2.99

* Creatures Exodus (Windows): $1.79

* Capitalism Plus (Windows): $1.79

* Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos (Windows): $1.79

* Soulbringer (Windows): $1.79

* Locomotion, Chris Sawyer's (Windows): $1.79

* Worms 2 (Windows): $1.79

* Mob Rule (Windows/Mac): $1.79

* Tzar: The Burden of the Crown (Windows): $1.79

* Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising (Windows): $1.79

* Independence War Deluxe (Windows): $1.79

* Krush Kill ‘N Destroy 2: Krossfire (Windows): $1.79

* Praetorians (Windows): $1.79

* Guilty Gear Isuka (Windows/Mac): $1.79

* Imperial Glory (Windows): $1.79

* Tex Murphy 1+2 (Windows/Mac): $1.79

* Gobliiins pack (Windows): $1.79

* Simon the Sorcerer (Windows/Mac): $1.79

* Incoming + Incoming Forces (Windows): $1.79

* Krush Kill 'N Destroy Xtreme (Windows): $1.79

* Normality (Windows/Mac): $1.79

* Chaos Overlords (Windows): $1.79

* Simon the Sorcerer 2 (Windows/Mac): $1.79

* Simon the Sorcerer 3D (Windows): $1.79

* Worms United (Windows): $1.79

* Ishar Compilation (Windows): $1.79

* Expendable (Windows/Mac): $1.79

* Seven Kingdoms 2 (Windows): $1.79

* Worms Forts: Under Siege (Windows): $1.79

No, seriously, I prefer spending time with my wife and kids, but when they're asleep, dad wants to play video games.

Are you're kids old enough to play video games flesk?

Does your wife play?

My son is 3 years old and he has shown some interest in playing New Super Mario Bros. on my DS. I have to operate the jump button for him though, and he loses interest in playing after 5-10 minutes. He's pretty good at playing kids games on the tablet though.

My wife doesn't play much on her own these days, but she likes to play co-op platformers with me. We've played most of the ones available on the Wii, and we'll probably get a Wii U soon. She bought Gabriel Knight on a GOG sale recently, but hasn't gotten around to playing it yet. She spends too much time knitting.

@flesk

I think you didn't fully understand what i was saying.

Anyway, yep, mobile games a.o. can be quite annoying. I do remember a puzzle game which was trying to charge you via in app purchase for the functionality (actually for each click) to restart a level (once you recognised it wouldn't make sense to progress any further, the levels weren't connected to each other and otherwise you had to go through a couple of menu options). The dev certainly would be nervous if you had a gun and would be sitting right next to him.

ShinyLoot

Too many to list, but enjoy 100 games for $1 each.

Recommendations include The Cat Lady, JACK MOTHERF**KING KEANE, Mark Leung: Revenge of the Bitch (no, really) and Aztaka, but there's loads more as well that may take your fancy. Have a look.

Bundle Stars

These guys have 25% off 6 of their 'best' bundles. Again, won't list 'em all here, but have a look.

You may remember these as being rather 'meh', but for the price... meh.

MOAR!

Get Games

Enjoy the Black Friday deals from these guys.

Of note is Borderlands 2 GotY edition. It says it's for Mac, but it's actually a Steam code, so that would allow you to get the PC version as well. Or should, anyway. What do I know?

Also, enjoy 30% off Injustice: Gods Among Us: Ultimate Edition: Quest for a Longer Title and 25% off stand-alone expansion XCOM: Enemy Within.

MOAR!!!

Steam

Two-Day Deals:

- 75% off Bioshock Infinite

- 17% off Call of Duty: Ghosts (because, y'know, if you didn't buy it already THAT'LL convince you)

- 75% off Contagion

- 75% off Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

- 75% off Dishonoured (with 33% off all DLC, or 66% of the GotY edition)

- 75% off Euro Truck Simulator 2

- 60% off Saints Row IV

- 50% off State of Decay

- 75% off Surgeon Simulator 2013

Flash Deals:

- 75% off Half-Life 2 (and Episodes I & II)

- 70% off Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum

- 75% off Spelunky

- 90% off Trine II: Complete Story (so no excuses now!)

And just for giggles, here's the list of EVERYTHING on offer right now. Have fun.

- 75% off Spelunky

This is pretty much one of my favorite games ever.

The original freeware version from 2008 can be downloaded for free here and it can sort of serve as a demo, though it's still a full game in its own right. The HD remake has tighter and more responsive controls, all sorts of new content, and a higher skill ceiling overall.

And if you're also an Idle Thumbs listener, you can find out what's so special about that game Chris Remo has brought up in nearly every episode since he started playing it.

Game Music Bundle

Like video game music? Get this. $10 gets you the soundtracks to:

Dust: An Elysian Tale

Braid

Rogue Legacy

Electronic Super Joy

Famaze

Electronic Super Joy Part 2

Kentucky Route Zero Acts 1 and 2

Guacamelee!

7 Grand Steps: What Ancients Begat

Risk of Rain

Bientôt l'été

Pivvot

ShimSham

Thirty Flights of Loving

Mighty Switch Force 2

Tiny Barbarian DX: The Serpent Lord

Artemis

Super Ubie Land

Null Divide +

Big Steel Wheels

Zineth

Bits of Music From The Stanley Parable

Papo & Yo

I just shed a tear for all the people that won't buy Spelunky for that price.

I even bought an extra copy of Spelunky to store in my inventory. Someday, I will find the perfect home for it.

I even bought an extra copy of Spelunky to store in my inventory. Someday, I will find the perfect home for it.

And you have the best avatar on this forum. I kinda want to hug you.

I hope my secret santa buys me Spelunky (HINT HINT).

Just PM an email adress to me and I will buy it for - if you promise to play it.

I hope my secret santa buys me Spelunky (HINT HINT).

Just PM an email adress to me and I will buy it for - if you promise to play it.

Holy crap you're the best person ever.

ALRIGHT FINE I'LL BUY SPELUNKY JUST STOP MAKING ME FEEL BAD YOU BASTARDS!

And you're a beautiful person for doing it.

Spelunky is, when it comes to games, one of the good guys.

I've played 10 hours of Spelunky and I still don't know if I like it, but it's very addicting.

It can take some time for Spelunky to grow on you. It kind of depends on how long it takes you until you have an amazing run that send your adrenal glands into overdrive. The jungle area can also feel like a brick wall because of how much harder it is than the mines.

Spelunky is also not only a game about platforming reflexes, but about the player's ability to make good decisions quickly under pressure. There's few things I find as satisfying as making a crazy split-second decision that ends up saving my life.

As an example of "that moment", before about 7:30 in this video, Nick Breckon (Idle Thumbs podcaster and Telltale writer) wasn't much of a fan of Spelunky, but a few crazy close encounters with some enraged shopkeepers made him fall in love with the game.

mqQmSvCULtY

ALSO, CecilRousso, do you have Spelunky on Steam? I need more leaderboard buddies.

It can take some time for Spelunky to grow on you. It kind of depends on how long it takes you until you have an amazing run that send your adrenal glands into overdrive. The jungle area can also feel like a brick wall because of how much harder it is than the mines.

I'd say it's much harder than the ice caves that come after. I have seen so many people get past the Jungle by luck and then breezing through the Ice Caves on their first try just to be stuck in the Jungle afterwards again.

Yeah, Derek Yu purposefully made the difficulty curve uneven, as he finds it to be more interesting than a steady upwards curve. The ice caves are a nice break after the jungle (though under certain circumstances, the ice caves can still be tricky), but it ramps back up again once you reach the temple, largely (in my opinion) because of this trap. I'm always on edge in the temple because of those things.

Steam

Flash Deals:

- 50% off Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes

- 50% off Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic II: The Sith Lords: Quest for a Longer Title

- 75% off Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition

- 82% off Train Simulator

Sign in to follow this