Sign in to follow this  

Board game thread? I'm sure I'm not the only one here.

Anyway, what board games does everyone play? Which ones do you think are the best that you ever played?

One of my favourites has to be Cosmic Encounter (the most recent release). It's one of those games where you have like a pretty basic set of rules, but the game changes drastically from game to game depending on the alien powers that are in play on that match. I also like the fact that they try to push the diplomacy in the game a lot as well (even though it's pretty hard to pull off sometimes, because it's risky). These two combined make the game really good, I think. However, it also relies quite a bit on people knowing what they're doing, and so playing with new people gets tricky; when, for example, powers which should be shut down, are not shut down and consequently win the game, etc.

Anyway. Board games. Tell me everything!

It's been a long time since I played any board games, but I played Junta in uni and thought it was pretty good. When I was younger I often played Go For Broke with my family. It's like a reverse monopoly game which is a lot of fun. I'm hoping to play more board games again when my kids are old enough. Oh, and I also remember liking Fullrigger quite a lot.

Settlers of Catan is pretty good, but I've got a few other favorites. Does it have to involve a board? Or are we just talking TABLETOP games? Cuz if so, here's what I got for ya:

RUMMIKUB

5MjyMMj.png

Much like Catan, this is a game you have to play all the way through one time before you truly understand what the hell is going on.

It starts off following very simple Rummy rules (hence the reference in the name) where you take the tiles you've been dealt and arrange them into various straights and flushes. There is no limit to how many plays you can make on your turn. You just lay stuff down until you can't lay anything down anymore. The objective is to be the first to clear all the tiles out of your inventory.

So at first, you're just drawing tiles and laying down straights and flushes. Pretty straightforward. But then, once there are a few straights and flushes on the table, the strategy changes... NOW you can also ADD TO hands that are already in play. If someone has a straight of 4-5-6-7 and you have a 3 or an 8, you can add it to that straight. Or if there is a straight of 4-5-6-7 and another straight of 7-8-9-10, you can take the sevens off the beginning and end of those two straights, then put them with the one seven that you have, and lay those three sevens down as a new three-of-a-kind.

It eventually gets to the point where there are so many plays on the table that people start swapping around tiles in huge, complex, mind-boggling ways in a desperate attempt to get rid of their tiles. I don't know how many times I've played this game, and when things start getting close to the end, someone tries to pull off a ridiculous maneuver consisting of 30 different swaps, and then in the middle of it, they lose track of their own plan and screw themselves over.

But when you are that person who has three tiles left, and you put together some crazy plan involving one hundred swaps that somehow, mind-blowingly lets you get rid of that very last tile, and it's crazy and confusing, and yet in the end it all checks out and it works, then IT FEELS AMAZING. Seasoned Rummikub players take a sort of pride in orchestrating these huge, elaborate schemes. Very fun game.

Oh man, I have so many cool recommendations here. There is a lot of really amazing stuff happening in board games at the moment, we're totally spoiled for choice.

So... some miscellaneous recommendations of my absolute favourite games at the moment:

Space Alert - Co-operative game where you try to defend a spaceship from attack with a really interesting semi-realtime mechanic. It's got a bit of a learning curve but is SO much fun! (Works well with 3 players, best with 5) I did a video review of this:

The Resistance: Avalon - This is a different version of an older game called the resistance, where the rules are ultra simple and easy to learn, but the mind games and bluffing that take place are absolutely phenomenal if you get the right group together for it. (5-10 players)

Cosmic Encounter - Really fun game of space conquests which is made awesome by how there are 50 races (plus more with expansions) in the game, all of which have game-breaking powers which totally change the dynamics of the game every time (Best with 4-5) (oh, hey, you knew this one already!)

Risk Legacy - Totally crazy version of the classic game Risk where every time you play you make PERMANENT changes to the board and sometimes even introduce new rules which change the game forever. (4+)

Carcassonne Really easy to pick up and quite well known game about building castles and roads which is just one of my favourites still. (Great with 2, works with more). I did a video review of this one, too:

There are just tons more that I'm really loving, too, but those are some of my favourites. May I recommend this website for some excellent video content (not mine!) about board games: http://susd.pretend-money.com/

I like board games. Space Alert and Risk legacy, I have played in past. Now a day I am playing 13 cards Rummy. I have downloaded rummy app so whenever I get free time I play this game. It is very interesting, skill based game that keep me hooked for hours. 

Objective of the game is to arrange 13 cards in form of valid sets and sequence. Winner get the awards in last and this award can be a nice phone or real cash and much more. 

Rummy is not a gambling, it is legal to play rummy for real cash and win real cash prizes. All skill games are legal to play for cash, so don’t worry about the legality of this game. 

56 minutes ago, venkat said:

I like board games. Space Alert and Risk legacy, I have played in past. Now a day I am playing 13 cards Rummy. 

Objective of the game is to arrange 13 cards in form of valid sets and sequence.

I enjoy gin rummy, but I've never played 13 cards rummy.  I do like trying out variations on games, so I'll give that one a try. On the subject of card games, I've recently been playing Microsoft Solitaire Collection, which has five variations of Solitaire: Klondike, Freecell, Spider, Pyramid, and Tripeaks.

I also recently picked up Back to the Future: The Card Game, which is a cross between a card game and a board game. You are given a character card, which all contain a descendent of a character from the films.  The object of the game is to flip Linchpins along the timeline to change the past or the future. Linchpins also flip ripplepoints farther down the timeline. After a player has changed history to match the history needed on their character card, in order to preserve their existence, they must prevent the flux capacitor from being invented by Emmett Brown. At that point they are declared the winner of the game.

I'm a huge Back to the Future nerd, so I also picked up the Back to the Future board game that Smiths Crisps gave out in the UK in 1985. :) 

BTTF_Smiths_board.png.978d4a475a45526c4bf39f7546d79b95.png

I recently got a Cthulhu version of Pandemic and it is the best board game I've played in years.