Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dastardly31

If You Had $10 million dollars to give to Double Fine.....

I'm not talking about "A sequel to Psychonauts/Costume Quest/ Etc..."

I'm asking what would you do with their existing franchises as well as what would you have them do for your own personal amusement... :)

1. Port Psychonauts (PC HD version) to Wii U and PS4 (Xbone sounds too complicated for indies)

2. Pay for ports of ALL of their downloadable games for Tablets.

3. Pay for an Indie Festival in the same vein as Amnesia Fortnight, but open to the public, and the winner will get to make the game with DF.

4. Branch out the franchises (Psychonauts in particular) into comic books.

5. Release their already released comics and art books as apps.

That's just the first 10 million dollars.

a) A fantastic Science Fiction Adventure for grown ups, no comedy but with humour where it fits (alternatively project *, can't take about it). $7 millions.

b) Part2 or DLC for The Cave which does it all right this time (real unique riddles, way better comments, controller support that works, more characters, ...). $2 millions.

c) Cleaning up the current portfolio, getting all the rights back, porting the games, fixing all the bugs&glitches; which are still available, offering them DRM free via HIS and GOG, spicing up the website and store. $1 million

d) Investing the leftover budget into something new, like designing an interesting tablet game instead of porting computer games to tablets (which mostly suck anyway).

I would give half of the money of it to a continuation of The Cave, sequel or DLC depending on budget requirements for it. The Cave was a 6-7/10 game for me, but it had many bright points, and I feel that it's an exciting concept for an adventure game to continue to build on.

The other half I would give to them do their take on Sid Meier's Pirates. There a to few examples of games like that, and I want one with DF art in it.

I'd help the productions of Broken Age and Massive Chalice.

Then I'd use whatever's left over to buy Tim's juice recipe and commercialize it for lifetime profit.

First of all, let them buy back the Iron Brigade IP from Microsoft so the PC version can get GFWL removed and that ever-so-stubborn stutter bug finally fixed once and for all.

Depending on how much buying the Iron Brigade IP would cost (no idea how much Microsoft would ask for it, and there'd also be some costs involved with removing GFWL, implementing a replacement infrastructure for MP, possible porting to other OSes, and bugfixing), the rest of it could fund whatever projects DF wanted to do. I wouldn't want to boss them around too much. :P

I'm surprised that most people are sticking with bug fixing!

Come on, this is your "dance, monkey, dance" moment!

I would definitely want some DLC for the CAVE, as it's easily one of my top ten favorite games. The rest could just be used to make more original titles, or to help with Broken Age.

I love how people want to support a game that is almost made (Broken Age). I think that documentary did more harm than good.

I love how people want to support a game that is almost made (Broken Age). I think that documentary did more harm than good.

That documentary also explained that due to time/money constraints, certain features had to be cut or redesigned. If you have 10mil burning a hole in your pocket, you could essentially allow DF to create the game just as they wanted it without time/money concerns forcing them to make compromises.

Can I not spend the money to move out there and rent a desk so I can just hang out and watch the guys and girls work their magic all day long? I might even do drink runs if needed :D

I would have them upgrade to megaplex offices Valve-style and then hire 10 new people to port old games the every conceivable platform. (Psychonauts on your phone! xD)

Uhm, why do you think so?

Basically, everyone seems to be worried about the game rather than be excited because of budget worries.

DF has probably gone through this with more than one of their games. Not just DF but every frickin' studio in the world!

It's what happens, move on.

Basically, everyone seems to be worried about the game rather than be excited because of budget worries.

DF has probably gone through this with more than one of their games. Not just DF but every frickin' studio in the world!

Most of us moved on quite a while back and have been excited, not worried, since ep. 9.

I don't know where you're reading or if you've just out of the loop.

There are certain assumptions being made here.

Wanting to invest in Double Fine's success =/= Being afraid for Double Fine.

Is Dracogen just a worry wart that needs to move on?

* Help buy back the rights to any game DF does not have the full rights to yet.

* Complete conversion of all DF games for PC/Mac/Linux compatibility.

* Set rest aside for possible sequel projects, but only when they are ready. Rushing/forcing a project before its time might not end well.

I'd just give them the money and say "Job well done guys!" Do with this bonus what you will! Have a coke and strippers party on a boat.. I don't mind! Just as long as I get an invite..

I'd just give them the money and say "Job well done guys!" Do with this bonus what you will! Have a coke and strippers party on a boat.. I don't mind! Just as long as I get an invite..

If you do get the 10 million, can I be invited to YOUR party.... :)

@Dastardly31

Yeah but it's interesting that others are experiencing similar situations and to watch how they deal with it. Actually i enjoy those episodes where there are also things to worry about and problems to be solved more than those where everything seems to be rolling just fine. The brain is a problem solver. The docu also has this entertainment aspect and you probably never would have had a chance to sneak into Peter Chan's chamber and stuff like that.

I also enjoy that it's released more in these unpredictable intervals instead of a monthly schedule, this way it feels more like surprises. The closer we get to the release of the game, the more troublesome it could be to avoid spoilers but i'm confident that 2PP are aware of this and find the proper mix to tease and spoil a tiny little bit but to mainly move the focus on aspects or film in a way which don't gives too much away. I try to avoid information regarding the boy's world because i want to explore it with knowing as little as possible about it, already avoiding certain topics due to this.

Anyway, if there is one thing which really delivered so far, then it's the documentation.

Another thing I'd like to invest in with them is getting their games onto Smart TVs.

You haven't got much choice at the minute, and just imagine all of their games as downloads for your brand spanking new smart tv!

Hell yeah!

In that case, I'm giving my entire 10 million to fund the development of Black Lake.

DAMMIT LEVI AND TIM! GET CRACKIN' ON BLACK LAKE!

I'm sorry I yelled, baby. I love you.

In that case, I'm giving my entire 10 million to fund the development of Black Lake.

DAMMIT LEVI AND TIM! GET CRACKIN' ON BLACK LAKE!

I'm sorry I yelled, baby. I love you.

What about BAD GOLF 4???!!!!

If I had 10m to give DF, I'd say 'Make an original game with it.' Whichever one they have on the backburner they think could use a 10m budget, or something new.

I'd just like them to be able to make something with no financial worry for a while.

If it could only be used on existing stuff, I'd get them to spend some money making improvements and bugfixes to all their titles, for a start. Maybe an expansion for Massive Chalice.

If I had $10 million for DF alone:

- I would dedicate $2 million to development of an open toolset for Hack'n'Slash and SpaceBace DF-9 (possibly the other MOAI games of theirs, but those two specifically) so that the entirety of those games could be modded and expanded upon, together with a real mod support and mod management for both.

- Another $2 million dedicated to starting up work on SpaceBase DF-9 again, if the studio thinks that game is not entirely a whitewash by now. Otherwise add it to below.

- The remaining $6 million I would give to one of three projects, at the studio's own discretion:

* Black Lake

* Steed

* Either extension of main Massive Chalice development for more game variety (more maps, enemy types, researchable tech, events, and UI such as family trees) or for an expansion pack to be released after the main game gets released.

I would throw that at the Steed project. That idea has geniune AAA potential. $10 mio might not exactly get it to AAA, but I'm sure that it would help.

I would throw that at the Steed project. That idea has geniune AAA potential. $10 mio might not exactly get it to AAA, but I'm sure that it would help.

No, you'd need to be closer to triple digit millions for that.

I would give $10m to them, with two instructions:

1. Use them on one and only project.

2. Suprise me.

The best games are always the ones you didn't expect, and didn't know you wanted, but turned out to be awesome.

Sign in to follow this