Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dastardly31

If You Had $10 million dollars to give to Double Fine.....

Black Lake. That is all.

It's a shame we'll probably never get to see that game.

We don't know that. Especially if they had a small publisher deal involved with it, we probably wouldn't know. Back when Midnight City was still a thing, they let slip at one point a comment that suggested they were looking into Black Lake as a possibility.

Of course, Midnight City isn't really a thing anymore, but DF has had publishers disappear, forcing them to find another publisher for the completion of a game before. Not that I'm suggesting that's what's happening. The only point being, we don't necessarily know what DF is working on at any one time unless it is one of the transparent projects. I do still think it's weird that SBDF9 and Hack n' Slash got developed first even though it seemed to me (despite my obvious bias being Black Lake fan #1) that Black Lake got the most positive overall critical response from that year's Amnesia Fortnight participants. Not that I'm complaining about the games we did get! Maybe it was just because SBDF9 and HackNslash had more clearly defined objectives and core gameplay, whereas Black Lake it might not have been as clear where to go next with it. Also SBDF9 and HackNSlash are 2D as opposed to 3D so that might have (but not necessarily) made them cheaper. Hard to say.

Would be nice to get Black Lake one day, though, for sure.

Half to fund Costume Quest 3, half to fund Steed.

I'd probably actually do it if I won the lottery or something and could do it while still having enough to live comfortably for the rest of my life.

I'd like to switch things around a bit -

Ten million dollars would buy a sequel for ONE of the DF franchises.

So the question is... Which one would you choose?

I would want Brutal Legend 2.

I know it would cost more than double the 10 million investment, but I would call it "Brutal Legend the Experimental EP Years" and make it a episodic adventure.

Sadly, I think there just isn't enough cult status for Brutal Legend to justify an episodic series, but I feel like such an approach could work great for Psychonauts.

I am changing my answer from Steed (an idea that I absolutely love) to, an idea that I absolutely love, Discworld 3. In memory of Sir Terry Pratchett who recently passed away. I played Discworld 1 and 2 growing up and love that world.

I always thought that Tim and Terry's sensibilities where very closely aligned and that Tim could write a great Discworld game. My fictional $10 mio now goes to Discworld 3.

EDIT: And since they are fictional I also got $10 mio for Steed. :-D

I am changing my answer from Steed (an idea that I absolutely love) to, an idea that I absolutely love, Discworld 3. In memory of Sir Terry Pratchett who recently passed away. I played Discworld 1 and 2 growing up and love that world.

I always thought that Tim and Terry's sensibilities where very closely aligned and that Tim could write a great Discworld game. My fictional $10 mio now goes to Discworld 3.

EDIT: And since they are fictional I also got $10 mio for Steed. :-D

They made a Discworld 3, it was called - Discworld Noir.

Very dark game.

Sign in to follow this