Sign in to follow this  
DF_John

Campaign Update #13: Board Game Stream, Brad Interview #2

Update #13: Board Game Night Tonight and Brad Interview #2!

Hey Everyone!

We are still reeling from raising over a million dollars due to your MASSIVE support! We’ve got just over a week to go and it’s going to be packed with art drops, design updates, livestreams and games! We’re particularly excited for our team roundtable chat that will give you guys a deeper look at the design, art, and engineering elements of MASSIVE CHALICE.

Board Game Livestream TONIGHT!

Board game nights are a pretty regular thing here at Double Fine and we’re hosting another one TONIGHT! Tune into our Twitch.tv channel at 5pm Pacific when we’ll play cooperative kingdom defense game and MASSIVE CHALICE inspiration Shadows over Camelot! Will we save the kingdom? Will a traitor be revealed? How massive and chalicey is the Holy Grail? Tune in tonight to find out!

Interview with Brad Part 2

Today we’re going to continue our in-depth interview with Brad in this second installment from 2 Player Productions. In this portion of the interview, Brad discusses a TON of stuff including: the development of Psychonauts and Brütal Legend, mock reviews, Amnesia Fortnight and how Custodians of the Clock became TRENCHED, battling depression, pitching video games, and the contagious enthusiasm of PAX!

We’re having some YouTube issues right now so here’s a link to Vimeo!

[vimeo]68719346[/vimeo]

We’ll get this video up on our YouTube channel as soon as possible if you’d rather watch it there. Stay tuned! :D!

Thank you guys so much for the continued MASSIVE SUPPORT!

Sincerely,

Brad and the MASSIVE CHALICE Team :D

This interview was amazing.

Also for future might be handy with time if you put a link with a date/time converter or at least add GMT or something like that makes it easier to see how late stuff starts.

Trenched sounds so much better than Iron Brigade.

It's funny hearing about game development of some of the greatest games not being a grand master plan. Psychonauts could have sucked if Brad hadn't come and that wasn't so much planning as desperately needing programmers. A lot of the time developers are asked about core features of a game and they'll say it's just due to the restraints of the system they were using, or they accidentally set some variables incorrectly. That's why I think KickStarter, Amnesia Fortnight and smaller games are so great, because prototyping and developing smaller games gives developers the ability to experiment. Brad probably wouldn't get a chance to lead a game any other way. Good games can't be made by accident, you still need great game designers, but you also need happy accidents and individuals taking initiative.

Mesmerizing interview. So many loveable people at Double Fine.

Great interview. Thanks to Brad sharing his experience about both work and his depression. Brad seems like such a cheerful person pretty much always, so it's very interesting and valuable for us all to hear about the other side of the coin.

While I don't want do diminsh the importance of John or anyone else on this project, it's what I´ve seen from Brads earlier work on Psychonauts, Brütal Legend, Trenched and the Amnesia Fortnight prototypes that makes me want back this project and see the development of it.

And I am one of those who really love Brütal Legend :D. With PS3, Steam and Humble Bundle I have now bought it three times. Gotta complete the Boar Bather achievement now again on Steam, the best achievement in any game so far (who came up with the idea for it?).

I haven't finished watching the Shadows Over Camelot game yet, but you guys were playing Sir Kay incorrectly. Sir Kay can only play an extra card after the cards of a fight have been revealed, he can't play two cards on every quest. The fights are when you roll against Catapults, when you fight the Black Knight, when you fight Lancelot and when you fight the Dragon. He can't play two cards every time on those either only after the final reveal for the fight.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/270777/what-does-sir-kay-power-do

This knowledge may have helped the Traitor although he might have won anyways. I'll find out in about 45 minutes.

I haven't finished watching the Shadows Over Camelot game yet, but you guys were playing Sir Kay incorrectly. Sir Kay can only play an extra card after the cards of a fight have been revealed, he can't play two cards on every quest. The fights are when you roll against Catapults, when you fight the Black Knight, when you fight Lancelot and when you fight the Dragon. He can't play two cards every time on those either only after the final reveal for the fight.

This knowledge may have helped the Traitor although he might have won anyways. I'll find out in about 45 minutes.

Good catch! He seemed pretty OP the way we played him!

Good catch! He seemed pretty OP the way we played him!

Yah, he would be the best if that were the rules. Oh well, that was fun to watch anyways. :)