Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Project Update 9: 6/25/13

Howdy folks, time for another Broken Age project update! E3 is now behind us and went super well, a highlight being the Horizon press conference featuring

. But now the focus is all back on the game!

The big news is that Tim is now done with his scope changes and we have a final design for the entire game. YAY MORE HIGH FIVES! With this done, Tim is now officially in full-on writing mode. Our first voice recording session is coming up next month, so we're trying to finalize as much dialog as possible. This means Tim is pretty much locked in his office for the next two weeks writing those trademark silly jokes.

With the help of our voice director, the fabulous Khris Brown, Tim has listened to the first round of casting tapes and I hear there was some really exciting stuff. We're now on round two and will be locking in some actors in the next few weeks!

The rest of the team is currently spread out over a few different areas. Some folks are still working on the early village areas, some have begun preparing things for the Maiden's Feast (which will be the next big chunk of work for everyone), and some (Lee and Bagel) have rolled even further onto early concepts and layouts for the next girl's world area. SPOILERS: it's all looking beauuuuuuuutiful.

And here's a fun final post script: I watched the final cut of the next documentary episode and it's really good. Lots of new shots of the Spaceship and that good ol' game dev drama you've come to expect. It has been shipped off to 2PP's audio guys and should be ready for your precious eyeballs next week.

Great stuff! The clips of the game we saw in the backer video were fantastic. Can't wait to see the next documentary episode as well.

Keep up the great work!

Hey Greg, thanks much for the updates. They are coming faster than ever and this is really good!

On a side note, are you guys planning any new Broken Age merchandising before the release and make available items that were part of the Kickstarter pledges, for example the hardcover book?

Cheers!

Voice acting, whoopee!

OK, I have a request. Not that I think you guys would do it, just that I see so very many respected companies doing this badly. Please PLEASE, if your game calls for some actors with interesting accents, like Scottish or Irish, please hire an actor who has that as their genuine accent. I can't stand bad fake accents!

And I know that this is a fantasy/sci-fi setting, so there probably IS no Scotland or Ireland, but that doesn't stop many developers from wanting those accents anyway. eg Luna in Dota 2. I can't even work out which of Scottish and Irish the voice actor was trying for there :S *shudders*

the next documentary episode ... should be ready for your precious eyeballs next week.

Release promised days ago... :/

the next documentary episode ... should be ready for your precious eyeballs next week.

It was never promised.

PxYVc0d.png

Great update. However, those neat, little programming updates are gone in these "paragraph" formats. That's a little disappointing. Nice to hear that everything else is coming along fine, though. Maiden's Feast will look great once it's finally done.

It was never promised.

It was. There was a post somewhere that it was delayed because they wanted to wrap up an arc. And now maybe we'll get it next week.

And here's a fun final post script: I watched the final cut of the next documentary episode and it's really good. Lots of new shots of the Spaceship and that good ol' game dev drama you've come to expect. It has been shipped off to 2PP's audio guys and should be ready for your precious eyeballs next week.

Thanks for the update, my DFA Episode itch was getting really bad and I need that scratch. Can't wait for the new episode, am super excited to see more polished stuff. Rock it!

Break out the torchforks!

I still want torchforks in the game, TORCHFORKS 2013!

It was never promised.

It was. There was a post somewhere that it was delayed because they wanted to wrap up an arc. And now maybe we'll get it next week.

There's a difference between a estimated release date and a promise of one. They would never promise to release an episode on a certain date just in case something gets in the way of making the date.

I still want torchforks in the game, TORCHFORKS 2013!

Oh wow I hope this becomes a meme.

#Attentionseeker!

Thanks Greg! Sounds good. Is the writing on a game normally finished this long into production?

There's a difference between a estimated release date and a promise of one. They would never promise to release an episode on a certain date just in case something gets in the way of making the date.

See Kickstarter.

TORCH FORRRKS!

ksg.gif

For kids!

Back on topic: At least we know its near! I've been watching the Massive Chalice vids to wet my DFA documentary appetite ;)

Can't wait to see more of the work that's been done on the spaceship. The new scenes in the backer video blew my mind.

See Kickstarter.

The original idea was one episode a month, but I think we all quickly learned that was just not feasible. The once-a-month idea was back when the team was much smaller and probably a lot shorter episodes. I wouldn't go as far as to say that 2PP broke their promises, just like how Double Fine never released a game back in October. It's great that we're excited for a new episode as quickly as possible, but I don't think we should antagonize or insult the creators of such a project we donated in good faith to.

TORCH FORRRKS!

ksg.gif

For kids!

Back on topic: At least we know its near! I've been watching the Massive Chalice vids to wet my DFA documentary appetite ;)

YES TORCHFORKS! (wrong ends on fire though, you need to be able to stab and burn at the same time)

So is Dominic Armato gonna be cast as anything?

That would be the greatest cameo of all time.

That would be the greatest cameo of all time.

I know, right?

He should play a robot in the boys world that the boy meets and when he talks to him he would say "Im M.I.G.T and i want to be a Space Pirate" :)

(M.I.G.T = Monkey.Island.Guybrush.Threepwood)

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/9112/P200/#279973

"expected release date is June 21 (on or around there)"

Expected release date != Promise

1. expected release date is June 21

2. (on or around there)

It's a double estimate so in most countries it's legally a promise.

O_o not sure if serious?!

I actually find it quite rude when people accuse others of breaking promises. Making promises is supposed to be quite a serious thing, and breaking them equally so.

To go around calling people promise breakers, when what's actually happened is they've kindly provided more information than they needed to about their totally-not-set-in-stone plans, that's not cool.

Maybe it would be out on time if the editor wasn't watching stuff while editing.....or editing the actual episode

pic.twitter.com/gfS4QCR9XA

^ This is the thing that annoyed me most, again, I don't blame doublefine AT ALL (as they don't make the episodes)

AND I do like 2PP, I just find that they have zero presence on the forum, and seem to be very, very, slow at what they do

Sign in to follow this