Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Project Update 9: 6/25/13

Maybe it would be out on time if the editor wasn't watching stuff while editing.....or editing the actual episode

pic.twitter.com/gfS4QCR9XA

^ This is the thing that annoyed me most, again, I don't blame doublefine AT ALL (as they don't make the episodes)

AND I do like 2PP, I just find that they have zero presence on the forum, and seem to be very, very, slow at what they do

Relax!

First, I guess you don't know much about making quality video content and second those guys aren't machines. If they want to take a break from an editing session so they should.

Popsicles

(I posted a big long ranty....thingy, but I gave up)

Maybe it would be out on time if the editor wasn't watching stuff while editing.....or editing the actual episode

^ This is the thing that annoyed me most, again, I don't blame doublefine AT ALL (as they don't make the episodes)

AND I do like 2PP, I just find that they have zero presence on the forum, and seem to be very, very, slow at what they do

Relax!

First, I guess you don't know much about making quality video content and second those guys aren't machines. If they want to take a break from an editing session so they should.

Still, it's the lack of information that's the problem, not the delays in themselves. I could probably wait another two years if they kept us updated along the way. I think it's sad the forums are going increasingly silent for that very reason. Some people think everything is sunshine no matter what, others sees the clouds when they appear. Nothing wrong with that, just different perspectives.

At first I decided against supporting MC due to this, but after seeing Brad smile yet another time, I caved. However, I wonder how many are feeling a little bit disappointed and didn't want to support another kickstarter from DF. It's a lot of people that never writes anything here, pro or con.

But Greg, every little bit is very much appreciated! :)

I totally agree with the different perspective note. Yet, I would rather wait until I hear an update, and avoid pressuring them. (Why irritate them just because I didn't hear an update. I don't think I would feel better in any way while I'm already struggling with a deadline.)

I'm just one of the sunshines I guess. :)

(Not supporting a game project due to this? I'm not sure if clouds are the only things that appear to you. :/)

Take your time and just drop a note whenever it's possible... ;)

EDIT: Not worth it.

We're pretty confident 2PP will be able to hold to that updated plan of releasing the episode next week. We communicated a new rough date when we had the information to be able to do so (in the first post of this thread). I'm not sure it's useful to provide more updates that essentially just say "Next week is still the plan."

Part of doing this kind of open development means this kind of delay will occur. That's already what happens during game development, it's just that in regular development, we probably wouldn't give public estimates at all until they were already completely set in stone. (Although as you guys know, even in traditional development, announced dates often end up being wrong.) The best we can do in this situation is to give estimates that are accurate when we give them, with the understanding that they may change as a result of production realities.

Voice acting, whoopee!

OK, I have a request. Not that I think you guys would do it, just that I see so very many respected companies doing this badly. Please PLEASE, if your game calls for some actors with interesting accents, like Scottish or Irish, please hire an actor who has that as their genuine accent. I can't stand bad fake accents!

And I know that this is a fantasy/sci-fi setting, so there probably IS no Scotland or Ireland, but that doesn't stop many developers from wanting those accents anyway. eg Luna in Dota 2. I can't even work out which of Scottish and Irish the voice actor was trying for there :S *shudders*

THIS!

And just wait for it guys, all the episodes have been really good. Give them time. Quality > Quantity (I agree forum presence would be nice..)

Still, it's the lack of information that's the problem, not the delays in themselves.

What information would you like? "Another day of development, it's going good guys". "Day xxxx of development, it's going good guys. Oh btw, Tim has a cold" ... let them do their job, there's no point giving pointless information.

It's pretty obvious there will be delays and that any "promise" given was probably an estimate when it was given with the understanding that unforeseen events could push the date forward. No big deal, life goes on. People need to relax a bit and not start to moan and whine when they're not being kept in the loop 24/7. We're not the ones creating the game, DF is.

I think it's sad the forums are going increasingly silent for that very reason. Some people think everything is sunshine no matter what, others sees the clouds when they appear. Nothing wrong with that, just different perspectives.

The forum is going silent because most topics have been discussed to death, flogged and revived a thousand times over by now. Unless DF has anything noticeable to report we just need to stay put. I rather have a somewhat silent forum than one that is being spammed by angry people all day.

Still, it's the lack of information that's the problem, not the delays in themselves.

What information would you like? "Another day of development, it's going good guys". "Day xxxx of development, it's going good guys. Oh btw, Tim has a cold" ... let them do their job, there's no point giving pointless information.

It's pretty obvious there will be delays and that any "promise" given was probably an estimate when it was given with the understanding that unforeseen events could push the date forward. No big deal, life goes on. People need to relax a bit and not start to moan and whine when they're not being kept in the loop 24/7. We're not the ones creating the game, DF is.

I think it's sad the forums are going increasingly silent for that very reason. Some people think everything is sunshine no matter what, others sees the clouds when they appear. Nothing wrong with that, just different perspectives.

The forum is going silent because most topics have been discussed to death, flogged and revived a thousand times over by now. Unless DF has anything noticeable to report we just need to stay put. I rather have a somewhat silent forum than one that is being spammed by angry people all day.

I think what has led to this latest bout of hysteria is the fact that 2PP are now also working on Massive Chalice stuff. So when we get a delay on Broken Age episodes, but 2PP are posting on Twitter about Massive Chalice stuff they're working on, the Broken Age fanbase feels gypped.

Guys, this is going to seem ignorant and i apologize and i'm not being snarky. But i never get Kickstarter updates for this project (unlike any other Kickstarter project i've backed). And whenever i come to this forum i get confused. It seems like everyone on this thread is arguing about a making-of video. But is the *game* out yet? The Kickstarter page says estimated delivery for the game was October 2012. If it's not ready yet, i'm not complaining. I just want to make sure it's not sitting somewhere available for download and i never got the notification.

If it's not ready yet, i'm not complaining. I just want to make sure it's not sitting somewhere available for download and i never got the notification.

It's no ready yet. I'd say there is a good 6+ months left until we can hope for a release. The initial date for release was set because DF thought the game would be a small affair, but since the funding became as large as it was they had to revise it.

Guys, this is going to seem ignorant and i apologize and i'm not being snarky. But i never get Kickstarter updates for this project (unlike any other Kickstarter project i've backed). And whenever i come to this forum i get confused. It seems like everyone on this thread is arguing about a making-of video. But is the *game* out yet? The Kickstarter page says estimated delivery for the game was October 2012. If it's not ready yet, i'm not complaining. I just want to make sure it's not sitting somewhere available for download and i never got the notification.

The game is not finished yet, they are still working on it as we type :P Due to the high amount of funds the game received from Kickstarter, they extended the scope of the game and I believe the current release window is Autumn/Fall 2013. Best place to keep up to date with the latest updates is the DFA Development Update Table of Excellent Contents here on the forums. The posts have also been put in a less forum-y formatting on the DFA Development Updates page.

Hope that helps!

Sign in to follow this