• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Quick poll: What keyboard button to skip cutscenes?

What button to skip cutscenes?  

1,241 members have voted

1. 1. What button to skip cutscenes?

• Spacebar
    • Esc
    • Backspace
    • F1
    • Enter

In the poll: Where's the Any key?

Naw. I chose the escape key cause it's an escape key used in escaping cutscenes, menus, and questionable viewing material.

All this computer hacking is making me thirsty. I think I'll order a tab.

Any button should pause the cutscene, prompt " to unpause" and " to skip."

Should always pause, then option to skip. Accidentally skipping cutscenes is the worst!

'esc' for skipping an entire cutscene.

'space' to me is better for skipping individual lines of dialogue.

I would expect ESC for skipping the cut scene AND for bringing up the menu. I would not expect to be able to bring up the menu while watching a cutscene. But if you have to have the two on a different button I guess spacebar works for skipping. To me ESC bringing up the menu is more important to me than having maximum cutscene skipping functionality (I'm going to bring up the menu way more often than I'm going to skip a cutscene).

I'd answer the poll but I'm liking these suggestions/questions/thoughts on Pause and etc.

And the . idea...

so I am holding my vote and waiting to see if there's a new version of the poll.

It might not be that simple as the coding may exist for the poll choices and anything else might be too complicated, but I'll still hold.

I agree with the ones saying Esc for skipping, esc for menu if not in cutscene and space to pause cutscene.

If there will be no pause function in the game I guess space works for skipping, but I think a few will miss the first cutscene they try to pause on then

No time to drink now, the computer is starting!

No time to drink now, the computer is starting!

Dude, give him some space! I think you should shift gears and stop commanding people.

Another vote for space bar to pause, escape to skip. But humanity is pretty adaptable, and I look forward to being in "Broken Age"'s world long enough to adapt to whatever gets implemented.

This has probably been brought up already, but I think it works nicely if escape both paused the cutscene and brought up a menu, and there was a "Skip cutscene" option on the menu. That way, it'd be harder for the cutscene for be skipped accidentally.

Escape to pause, Space to skip, Enter to select a dialogue option. I cannot stress how important it is that the button to skip a cutscene (or even an individual line of dialogue) is not the same button to accept a dialogue option. If I've played a section over and over again and I'm mashing space because I know the scene off by heart I don't want to mash it one time too many and find myself selecting the wrong option as I did so often in Mass Effect.

Actually, I'd like to suggest space to skip a line of dialogue, and to bring up a subtitle saying "Press Enter to skip cutscene" or something. If you press Enter while and only while it's up, the cutscene is skipped. This is so you don't bump the spacebar accidentally and miss something (I've done that) but also to allow you some fine control over how fast it goes. That way if you have subtitles you can read ahead and if you're impatient (like me) you can advance before the voice finishes.

Also if you do this then have the "Press Enter to skip cutscene" be in the same font as a dialogue option. Just to make things intuitive.

This has probably been brought up already, ...

It has, but maybe this is a good time to summarize the various mechanics (as opposed to key bindings) that have been suggested.

1. Single key. (Original suggestion from DF)

2. Chord of multiple keys.

3. First one key, then a different key. A visual cue is displayed in between, telling the user how to proceed.

4. First one key, then a menu selection.

5. First one key, then selection between two on-screen buttons using spatial navigation.

6. First hover the pointer over a special hotzone, which reveals a visual cue, then one key.

Did I miss any?

In all of the above, a "key" can of course be a mouse or gamepad button as well.

spacebar or escape ... but it would be great to display the correct input in order to skip if the player is tapping the wrong key ("Press [key] to skip")

Esc and spacebar are usually my go to "skip the cinematic" guys. Space is easier to reach; esc is the sure-fire, "yep, this will probably skip it" key.

Having both Esc and spacebar skip cutscenes would be cool.

When playing, I seldom skip stuff on the first playtrough. but I really often have to pause stuff because the baby is trying to swallow something or s in some other predicament. The excuse "sorry I cant help because I can not pause this" does not make my wife happy. So I would love a safe skip: Pause first, skip later.

And preferably as mouse clickable buttons, as I said, sorry for repeating myself. I would love the designers to keep the mouse-only crowd in mind. More and more people are not used to the good old F5 for menu and . To skip line system.

Seeing this becoming such a beautiful game I'd love to have the option to pause the game by pressing SPACE, (so maybe I could make a good screenshot to post on Steam,) maybe even rewinding a few seconds if i missed something could be a nice feature to add.

I wouldn't mind keeping it traditional; Esc to skip cutscenes, Space to pause, F1 to Save/Load/Settings.

I guess the settings could be accessible by mouse anyways.... And maybe we could have a a failsafe to skipping the cutscene? Like maybe pressing Shift+Esc?

I voted escape, just so I don't hit it on accident. If you make it something like space bar then you need to make it so you have to hold the key down or something. Unskippable cutscenes are just as bad as "oops I skipped it on accident" in my opinion =P

I hate it when games use escape to skip cutscenes. Sometimes I have to pause a game and accidentally skip them. Pausing should also be allowed!

I don't know about you guys but when playing point and clicks I like to sit back and ignore the keyboard. I think there should be an on-screen pause button because you can't accidentally hit it.

Just please make sure it doesnt skip it by pressing it one time.

I hate it when i by accident hit esc or whatever and it skips the cutscenes. either button plus y/n or same button in rapid succession.

Not sure if this has been mentioned (not read all the comments, sorry), but I like the way it was handled in Dishonored. You could hold 'F' (the games 'use' key, easily substituted for esc / space / whatever in this case), as you held it a little progress wheel would fill up saying "Hold 'F' to skip cutscene", and you had to hold it for like three seconds. It's nice and simple, but you don't skip a cutscene by accident. I vote for that! =)

My pick would be ENTER, because I'd have to go out of my way to hit it, and it is still an obvious choice when searching for a key to skip a cutscene. Unlike PAGE UP, or something.

Have to say, I never realized that the accidental cutscene-skip was quite the scourge of the land it appears to be when reading through this thread.

Also, there seems to be quite a few people who have a very different view on which key/function is "intuitive" (as the poll seems to indicate, although Esc-to-skip is most popular)

----> then perhaps a two-step skip is warranted after all. In case of which, I suggest the following, to encompass as many permutations of button-opinions as possible:

Regardless of whether ESC of SPACE (or ENTER or F1 or F5 or BACKSPACE) is pressed - the game is paused and a simple menu box appears. Amongst the load/save/settings options available: Skip cutscene

Should work well with touch-controlled devices as well: use the "menu" touch action (say, two-finger tap or whatever DF decides works best) and the game pauses and the menu appears. Press the "Skip cutscene" button to skip, or press once outside the menu box and the game resumes.

Problems? Does the game really need more than one keyboard command?

Escape should skip, because it's out-of-the-way and hard to press accidentally.

Space should pause.

When a key performs an action that doesn't have anything to do with gameplay, I think it shouldn't have more than one function. If Esc opens the menu it shouldn't do anything else, if Spacebar pauses the game it shouldn't do anything else. Also, these functions should be available at all times: nothing is more frustrating that having an unreliable function. If you can pause during gameplay, you should be able to pause during a cutscene as well.

As for skipping, the most natural thing that comes to mind is using both mouse buttons, or the right button: it's what usually works for skipping text or dialogue. Being able to re-watch skipped cutscenes would be nice.

I'd press ESC instinctively if I want to skip a cutscene.

Give a small "Are you sure?" prompt so no cutscenes get skipped accidentally.

Esc during gameplay: Menu

Esc during cutsceens: Skip

One key to rule them all! ;)

Yes, this is my feeling too. You don't need to bring up a menu in a cutscene. A cutscene is a different 'mode' than active-gameplay and keys should do different things in different modes. Only thing you need to do during a cutscene is skip it. Esc is the most logical key for that (literally 'escape' the cutscene).

Seth B.

Sign in to follow this