Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Quick poll: What keyboard button to skip cutscenes?

What button to skip cutscenes?  

1,241 members have voted

1. 1. What button to skip cutscenes?

• Spacebar
    • Esc
    • Backspace
    • F1
    • Enter

Not that you would ever skip a cutscene, especially one of the finely written, acted, animated, and scored cutscenes in Broken Age, but if someone had a gun to your head, which button would you expect to hit to skip that cutscene? (Knowing that you need to save another key to bring up the settings/pause menu?)

Assuming, of course, that you'll be able to remap your keyboard and none of this really matters anyway, not to mention the fact that the sun's going to explode.

But which is the proper cutscene skipper? And which is the pause/settings button?

i'd go with spacebar. When i press esc i somehow expect a menu and that the game pauses the cutscene not skip it. Although of course i would also like the lucasarts classic make spacebar pause and . to skipp :)

Considering I can skip dialogue with the mouse, ESC will probably be my preferred choice with cutscenes, just because the others are easier to hit by accident while moving the keyboard around, and there’s usually a break between skipping cutscenes.

Enter, backspace or esc are where my fingers go to skip a cut-scene. And as you pointed out, no one would ever think to do somthing like that during a finely crafted Tim Schafer written scene. That would just be blasphemy unless you're doing speed run achievements where the scene counts against your time. Then and only then you might be able to get away it.

If we're pausing the game my natural inclination is to hit the esc. So, I'd put skip scenes as backspace as so a player doesn't accidentally hit it and skip the gloriousness of the dialogue from the one and only Tim.

I'd go with Enter. Esc just naturally seems like the pause key to me.

Weird. Seemed exactly the other way around to me!

Since Space has always been the standard way to pause the old LucasArts-Adventures that key got deeply ingrained in my neurosystem while growing up as the "Hit to pause the game (for what reason whatsoever since it is a frigging Adventure)"-key. So Space has to be the way to pause in a classic Tim Schafer adventure - Escape seems to me the most logic way to skip a cutscene.

Since Space has always been the standard way to pause the old LucasArts-Adventures that key got deeply ingrained in my neurosystem while growing up as the "Hit to pause the game (for what reason whatsoever since it is a frigging Adventure)"-key. So Space has to be the way to pause in a classic Tim Schafer adventure - Escape seems to me the most logic way to skip a cutscene.

I agree for the same reasons

"space" pauses and "esc" exits to the options, but only the "esc" on the right side.

No one uses "p" for pause anymore, this is so, dunno, 80s/90s/...?

You might want to interpret space also as a astronomic valid option for pause due to the low density/temperature of space (vacuum) regarding baryonic matter as there isn't much action going on. As for dark matter on the other side ... but i digress. YouTube, your mediaplayer, ... agree with the universe.

"return" skips a cutscene, moves on, next line.

"backspace" isn't his obvious (back, what, space, huh?) and "f1" would mean that you need to press both "fn"+"f1" on a Mac.

The cursor keys (left, right) could make sense if you would be able to go forth and back in a cutscene or you just use the right one for skipping/stepping forward to the next one. I like pressing cursor keys, somehow they are special and mostly easy to reach.

Anyway, so again from those mentioned "space" pauses, "return" skips and "esc" exits.

For some reason the period-key is also a cutscene-skipper in my mind. I just can't remember which game taught me that. Did Grim Fandango use esc?

I think it should be the esc (twice) Once to skip, once to confirm. The esc makes more sense to me than the "backspace" because Mac's don't technically have a backspace key... It'd just be simpler to have esc skip - over all platforms. Space should be pause/resume! :)

Edit<< Also Tim (if you read this) will you give 2PP a slap in the head for us? It's the 25th already!

On the grounds that there's no agreement on which button people hit first, I think it would be nice if there was a confirmation dialogue before skipping the scene.

I would prefer that the skip button not be bound to a button but instead to an item in that menu. This makes sure that there is no accidental skips, we don't want that. Also it gives you the ability to pause the scene for when inconsiderate people walk in, break your immersion, and start yapping their trap. People who want to skip won't have any problems finding it in the menu. Escape is the go to key for skipping cutscenes, it is also the goto key for you pause menu. So make it do both :)

I prefer Esc or insert [0] key on numeric keypad, more difficult to accidentally press. Pause/settings button can be F1 key. Actually, it would be nice if all keys can be adjusted.

If you use the space you should have a little bar that fills when you hold it and when the bar fills it skips the cutscene. have little message next to it that says hold to skip.

I'm in the Esc for skip, space for pause camp, since that's what I'm used to and expect in a game.

Another feature that would be really nice is if it was possible to rewind/forward with the arrow keys or something, since often you will have missed a little bit of a cutscene due to someone talking by the time you manage to hit space.

If you're using "esc" for skipping a cutscene then you won't be able to enter the options from a cutscene level without skipping the cutscene first or by using an unconventional key for options instead, if you also want to offer this functionality via the keyboard. Therefore it's a pretty bad idea using "esc", especially if you keep more than just one platform in mind.

I'd most like for Esc to bring up the pause menu that would then have a button to skip. Seems like the best of both worlds.

Games commonly use Esc both to bring up and cancel menus and to skip cutscenes (as I don't remember the last game that allowed using a menu during a cutscene). But if you want access to both at the same time then use Space or Enter to skip (and possibly put skipping the cutscene in the menu).

esc

for pointers(mouse/touch), long press down.

I rarely want to use the keyboard in a point-n-click game, except naming save games,

usually I play this genre half horizontal in my chair, and keyboard requires me to sit straight.

I'd most like for Esc to bring up the pause menu that would then have a button to skip. Seems like the best of both worlds.

This. Or Esc to Pause, and Space to skip. Basically I just want a pause cutscene button...

Esc for skipping, maybe even press it twice. Space should only be used to pause. Oh and please let F5 bring up the save menu.

Sign in to follow this