Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Quick poll: What keyboard button to skip cutscenes?

What button to skip cutscenes?  

1,241 members have voted

1. 1. What button to skip cutscenes?

• Spacebar
    • Esc
    • Backspace
    • F1
    • Enter

ESC to bring up the pause menu (configuration, quit, save, etc)

SPACE to skip cutscenes.

Space is the largest, most easy-to-press key. For a game that typically avoids use of the keyboard, I'd think that when you occasionally required the keyboard for something, you'd want to use the most effortless keys, because that's less jarring to the point-and-clickedness and less disruptive to PnC players who are covered in cheetohs and are TRYING TO LOUNGE HERE.

But no matter which key you use, definitely include a confirmation step before the skip.

Enter and Backspace are to far away, and ESC is for any kind of Settings/Menu. SO that leaves Space or F1, I prefer Space.

In SCUMM games it was period ('.') so please keep it period. It was also used to skip individual lines of dialogue. This feature is important to me. Thanks! ^_^

Also, Space Bar should PAUSE cutscenes. This is also important to me. Thanks! ^_^

For some reason the period-key is also a cutscene-skipper in my mind. I just can't remember which game taught me that. Did Grim Fandango use esc?

The period-key, in my mind, is skipping forward line by line of dialog. That seems like a fine enough skip button to me.

The space key is the natural pause in my opinion.

All of the options in the poll feel like pause or menu keys. I agree with those who suggested the period key -- you're much less likely to hit it accidentally, and it has a traditional "skip" association from the old LucasArts games.

As long as there is a prompt for it, I think Esc would be the most natural. Otherwise one might hit it too many times and bring up the menu screen :/

Please don't make it easy to accidentally skip a cutscene. That's all I ask.

I second this. The skip key should be ctrl+tilde+asterisk.

what about left mouse button o_O?

other than that i naturally go for CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+[ followed by CAPS LOCK+;+TAB+O.

Please don't make it easy to accidentally skip a cutscene. That's all I ask.

I second this. The skip key should be ctrl+tilde+asterisk.

It's really not necessary to pick such a convoluted chord; just make it a two key sequence (as has already been suggested), with the first key displaying a cue telling the player what to press to skip the cutscene, and what to press to resume it. (This is how it works in e.g. FF13.) Then it's virtually impossible to skip the cutscene by mistake, while at the same time it's fairly easy to find the functionality, and it's not too much of a hassle to do it multiple times once you learn it (as a menu selection or a chord might be).

I'm also in the camp who'd like the first (pausing) button to be space. :-) (No real preference about the second key as long as it is different from the first one.)

Make it a button in the top right corner on the screen or something (fades away when your mouse isn't near it as to not obstruct the pretty visuals).

ESC and period are what I grew up with, but I suppose ESC has become the default menu key now, so you can't really do that.

Period and ENTER (newline) make sense to end dialogue/cutscenes.

@BigWhoop

Actually it's the other way around. Due to nuclear fusion there are explosions (radiation and gas pressure due to the released binding energy, loss of mass) in the sun since 4.5 milliards years but due to its gravity and the available hydrogen it's all in a balance (proper pressure gradient). In about 5 milliards years the sun will run out of fuel (fusion from hydrogen to helium only happens to one out of a trillion collisions) and due to this lack of fusion pressure the helium core will shrink whilst the outer hydrogen shell will balloon to a red giant (swallowing mercury/venus and burning earth) before it will end as a small relatively cold white dwarf.

Btw. did you know whilst the sunlight takes about 8 minutes to travell from the sun to the earth it can take about 30000 years until a photon generated at the inner of the sun makes its way to the surface of the sun? ... [astronomy = pure awesomeness]

spacebar should pause the cutscene.

to skip I can't really decide between backspace/enter/esc, they're all good ;-)

although I think esc should be they key to get in the menue for saving/loading/return to desktop/... (so I voted for backspace)

From a UX perspective you always want to take the most natural path of least annoyance, and the most annoying situation here is unwanted skipping of a cutscene. Pausing the game can be undone, skipping a cutscene cannot. So, with Esc commonly being used to invoke the menu in modern PC games and some people expecting space to pause the game, I'd say neither of those keys should be used.

People can deal with trying a few different keys to skip a cutscene, but they'll be pissed off if they do it when they didn't intent to.

In a mouse based game, I would prefer a hidden skip button that would spring to life once the mouse is active. If i have gotten way cosy and the keyboard is ways off, it's annoying to shift my position and all. And there is no esc or space key on touch screen devices.

Esc should skip, while Spacebar should naturally pause the cutscene.

Tim, is this your sneaky way of telling me I can't pause the cutscenes?

this

Enter to skip.

[del]Spacebat[/del] Spacebar to pause.

And Esc for the Menu.

Edit: Lol, Spacebat. That's something. Tim, I want a Spacebat. You know you want one too.

My first thought would actually be ESC, but I would be happy to see that ESC pauses the cutscene and glad to have another button for skipping. Enter would be the next button I tried.

I voted for escape as a knee jerk reaction. After thinking about it a little more, that is also the key that I would normally reach for to pause / bring up a menu. I should probably change my vote to space or something.

I would use Esc or F1 to pause and bring up the usual menu. My wish would be that also the spacebar key pauses the cutscene, but at the same time bringing up two buttons; 'Resume' and 'Skip cutscene'. The resume button would of course be selected by default to avoid accidentally skipping the cutscene when hitting spacebar twice.

Sign in to follow this