Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Quick poll: What keyboard button to skip cutscenes?

What button to skip cutscenes?  

1,241 members have voted

1. 1. What button to skip cutscenes?

• Spacebar
    • Esc
    • Backspace
    • F1
    • Enter

ESC to pause. If paused in a cutscene have text that says press Q to skip.

I could also agree with the on screen button to be pressed via mouseclick.

Space for skipping cut scenes and lines of dialog, ESC for bringing up the menu

Edit: P for pause if you even need one

To skip cutscenes, I'd probably try escape first, and if that didn't work or it paused the game instead of skipping, I'd try spacebar. If that didn't work, I'd try enter. If none of those work, I'd probably just give up and deem the cutscenes unskippable.

I think spacebar makes the most sense for skipping dialogue. If not that, then enter, or clicking one of the mouse buttons.

...Or maybe it could go full SCUMM mode and make the period/full stop key skip lines of dialogue. :P

Definitely would prefer a button that pauses the cutscene and brings up the pause menu, and then have skip cutscene be an option from there.

Skip: ESC

Pause: SPACE

Menu: F5

THIS.

And and/or the period key (".") to skip regular dialogues as well. (that's what it used to be.)

Maybe F1 and F5 for menu, since I think both were used in the old day.

The power button would be the most suitable choice :)

Whatever button it is it should not just skip for accidental presses. I hate it if I skip a scene by accident and then have to go to youtube to watch what I missed.

I hate it if I skip a scene by accident and then have to go to youtube to watch what I missed.

Since you brought this up, I think it'd be great if the player was able to select and watch previously-viewed custscenes from the game's menu, just in case they missed something, or they just want to watch it again.

I'd go with Enter. Esc just naturally seems like the pause key to me.

Weird. Seemed exactly the other way around to me!

This. Esc for skip and enter for the menu button IMO

Also I agree with Syd.

Huh. Pretty up in the air with me. I voted for the space bar.

If/When this function is implemented, I'd suggest to make sure that the user knows this before they dive into the game. Like a big pop up right before the game begins with BIG FLASHING LIGHTS. Probably yellow because I hear that's the most noticeable color and a big horn honking not once, twice but three times. And the sign be held up by a three-headed monkey. .. ...

Okay, but for real, I'm sure I'm going to forget to look at the controls and knowing me, I would accidentally his the skip key and wam bam I'll be upset. haha

Why does 'pause' and 'menu' need to be separate functions?

Edit: I just noticed Tim even called it a "pause/settings button"

Anyhow, space is for pausing - as both a nod to the old games, and as it is a very common start/stop button for audio/video playback

P for pause and some button prompt on menu for skip (or something more direct like pressing escape twice) looks like the most natural for me. As long as it isn't possible to skip with a single keypress it's ok for me.

I like the idea of hitting space and being prompted with a "Skip Cutscene? Yes or No" box, since sometimes we press buttons by mistake (especially if people on mobile touch the screen).

I hate it if I skip a scene by accident and then have to go to youtube to watch what I missed.

Since you brought this up, I think it'd be great if the player was able to select and watch previously-viewed custscenes from the game's menu, just in case they missed something, or they just want to watch it again.

True, viewing scenes from the main menu could be a nice addition but it shouldn't replace the "are you sure?" mechanism.

Also, I hope there would be an option to skip just the current dialog line, sometimes you have long scenes and with subtitles on you already read it before the VA finished talking, or you just repeat something in the dialog tree and would like to read a specific part of the answer. In many games enter or space are used for that.

ESC for skipping cutscene and SPACE for pauzing. I really wouldn't like a visual button popping up on the win/mac/linux versions, suggested above. Maybe make right mouse skip the cutscene also?

Please allow the cut scenes to be replayed from the menu after they are discovered. I always accidentally skip them and miss something important!

P.S.--I voted space bar.

ESC for skipping cutscene and SPACE for pauzing. I really wouldn't like a visual button popping up on the win/mac/linux versions, suggested above. Maybe make right mouse skip the cutscene also?

well i would make it popup the first time there is a cutscene for a short while, then i would leave it. only if the player hits any other button than those recognized during cutscenes (skip/pause), then i would display a short popup explaining what does what.

If you need to save a key for the menu, I'd say the space key. But I would use space to pause the game and escape to skip the cutscene. While not in a cutscene, escape would be used to go to the menu (i.e. no menu while in a cutscene).

As a default, I would say SPACE.

The issue seems moot if you can remap keys and why wouldn't you be able to remap keys?

As this is a point and click adventure why use a keyboard???? Star wars the old republic just lets you click the right mouse button to skip..

Because it's a PC game and PCs have keyboards.

As this is a point and click adventure why use a keyboard???? Star wars the old republic just lets you click the right mouse button to skip..

Because it's a PC game and PCs have keyboards.

I get your point but it's kinda mute. This game is going to be on multiple devices not just pc..

On a PC yes you have a keyboard but as i stated its a point and click adventure game so its mostly if not completely running off a mouse driven system, so i just feel that why use the keyboard? During a cut scene the mouse commands are not doing anything anyway so why reach all over a keyboard, just right click.

On a touch screen pc running windows 8 or linux and then a laptop track pad (so OSX for example), the default right click is two fingers on the device and this would then work great for portable touchscreen devices like tablets and phones.. Solve the problem in one foul swoop!

two fingers tap on screen and skip and if mouse driven then right click. These would only work when in cutscene mode..!

anyway my 2 pence worth..!

This game is going to be on multiple devices not just pc..

It is? o_O

On a PC yes you have a keyboard but as i stated its a point and click adventure game so its mostly if not completely running off a mouse driven system, so i just feel that why use the keyboard? During a cut scene the mouse commands are not doing anything anyway so why reach all over a keyboard, just right click.

You might as well ask why Monkey Island included keyboard commands. Or Day of the Tentacle. Or Full Throttle.

Esc for the menu, Space for pause and backspace for skipping cut scenes. One does not want to accidentally skip cut scenes.

Esc during gameplay: Menu

Esc during cutsceens: Skip

One key to rule them all! ;)

Sign in to follow this