Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Quick poll: What keyboard button to skip cutscenes?

What button to skip cutscenes?  

1,241 members have voted

1. 1. What button to skip cutscenes?

• Spacebar
    • Esc
    • Backspace
    • F1
    • Enter

Would be nice if first press of any key would show a message like "Press Esc to Skip or Space to pause" for 4-5 seconds.

If skip button pressed - it only shows above message, a second press while message is visible actually skips (very fast double tapping should work too).

If pause button is pressed - it pauses immediately with permanent message like "Press Space to continue, Esc to skip" while paused.

It would prevent accidental skips of cutscenes if player forgets which one pauses and skips. Also not many games have pause function for cutscenes, so it is worth reminding the gamer about. Double press of skip button might become a bit annoying if player wants to skip EVERY cutscene in game, but benefit for usual playthroughs I think far outweights any negative effects for few

Oh, and please please make an autosave before every dialog or cutscene, with them all being avaliable for loading! So that at any time player could jump back and re-view cutscene he/she missed or choose different options in dialogue. Those could be separate from "normal" savegames, with a different selection screen, like chapter -> scene -> scene part.

I think you should have it as an option in the esc-menu by default and then have a customizable shortcut among the key bindings.

The best thing would be if ESC would first pause the cutscene and then gave you the option to skip with space.

One solution I prefer in games like these where you don't really want to skip all the cutscenes all the time is if you press any key (or some predefined keys), than a timer starts (circle starting to fill up, etc.) and if the timer finishes you skip the cutscene. It could be around 3-5 seconds. It would also be quite natural on touchscreen devices.

You don't need to bring up a menu in a cutscene. A cutscene is a different 'mode' than active-gameplay and keys should do different things in different modes. Only thing you need to do during a cutscene is skip it.

I disagree.

First of all: "Only thing you need to do during a cutscene is skip it"? If anything, the cutscenes are the only part where you absolutely need a pause function. In any other part of the game you just need to find a safe spot (if it's an action game) and leave it where it is. If you are interrupted during a cutscene, what does skipping it accomplish? You miss its content, which is what cutscenes are all about. Being able to skip cutscenes is obviously important, but it isn't the ONLY thing you should be able to do.

Secondly: "You don't need to bring up a menu in a cutscene.". What if you want to turn on or off the subtitles, or do anything else with the options? The only reason we think we don't "need" to bring up a menu in a cutscene is because in most games you aren't allowed to, and even when you are you can't actually do anything.

Thirdly: "keys should do different things in different modes.". This applies to keys that are used during gameplay, not meta-keys (sounds stupid but you know what I mean). If you can't jump while you are talking then you can change the function of the "jump" button, but bringing up the menu should ALWAYS be available, and so does pausing the game.

I've been in plenty of threads (not specifically here), and one thing pretty much everybody is pissed about is when it's not clear whether pressing a specific button during a cutscene will pause it or skip it (mostly the Start button on consoles).

I mistakenly voted for Space.

I like TTG's way of doing things (Might just be because I've been playing a lot of Sam & Max); right-clicking skips dialog, space pauses the cutscene. Left click for skipping the cutscene?

Pause: esc

Perhaps I come from a different culture, but, at least to me, the Escape key is a general back-out/close/cancel button; it wouldn't make sense to pause anything with it.

Spacebar is also pause in all video apps. ESC in those is usually ESCape from full screen.

So space to skip would be really odd.

What about having the Esc key to skip cutscenes while viewing the scenes and when not viewing scenes it could bring up the settings menu?

Secondly: "You don't need to bring up a menu in a cutscene.". What if you want to turn on or off the subtitles, or do anything else with the options? The only reason we think we don't "need" to bring up a menu in a cutscene is because in most games you aren't allowed to, and even when you are you can't actually do anything.

I agree that pause is essential, and no key should instantly skip cutscene... But menu? It has to be a special menu anyways, without saving, graphical options, and most of other settings apart from volume and subtitles would not make sense since you can't immediately see their effects in a cutscene.

Ability to switch subtitles would be nice, but really, when is it needed? When you could not make out what that character just said. Switching it on and off in menu would be very awkward, and even an instant subtitle hotkey alone wouldn't help much.

If Doublefine would want to offer truly comfortable next-gen-cutscene-viewing they need to add both subtitle hotkey and short rewind-forward (like -5 sec on left arrow +5sec on right arrow). And naturaly pause and skip (preferrably on Esc double tap).

Or a simpler solution - subtitle hotkey showing previous phrase above current one on initial press. Should be easier to implement and almost as good as rewinding.

But in any case a full blown menu during cutscenes would be a clunky "kinda works" solution that actually doesn't help at all.

It has to be a special menu anyways, without saving, graphical options, and most of other settings apart from volume and subtitles would not make sense since you can't immediately see their effects in a cutscene.

And why would it need to be a "special menu"? Also, I've rarely ever seen an adventure game with notable graphical options. And regardless, why shouldn't you be able to change them whenever you want? Even if you couldn't see the effects, what harm does it do? If it's useful in any other moment, what's the point in removing this functionality?

Ability to switch subtitles would be nice, but really, when is it needed? When you could not make out what that character just said. Switching it on and off in menu would be very awkward, and even an instant subtitle hotkey alone wouldn't help much.

It wouldn't be any more awkward than it already is for every other game out there where you can only turn subtitles on or off in the menu. More importantly, that's where most people would go look for this kind of option in the first place anyway.

Also, your example is just one occasion. What if you needed to mute the game, or if your audio stopped working? There's thousands of reasons you may want to turn the subtitles on or off.

But in any case a full blown menu during cutscenes would be a clunky "kinda works" solution that actually doesn't help at all.

The point is that if esc brings up the menu, it should bring up the menu in every instance because there's no need to arbitrarily change this, regardless of whether the menu would actually be useful or not. For the same reason, skipping should have its own button, and it should retain its function regardless of whether you're watching a cuscene or playing the game, and the same goes for pausing.

What I'm proposing isn't to introduce some weird new function that could or could not be useful, but just to keep all the options that are naturally given to the players available and clearly distinct at all times, because there's no harm in doing this and no need not to. I don't really think anybody will ever think "Man, being able to open the menu is so annoying, I wish they didn't let me to".

Answering point-by-point would inevitably lead to an overquoting nightmare, so I'll just say it is my opinion that it is not enough reason to keep a nearly useless function always in place just because in other situations it is useful. Even from a larger adventure game evolution perspective - over time 10 or so fixed verbs were replaced with 1 function that does most appropriate thing in current situation, and it is now generally considered simpler and more convenient way of interaction.

Answering point-by-point would inevitably lead to an overquoting nightmare, so I'll just say it is my opinion that it is not enough reason to keep a nearly useless function always in place just because in other situations it is useful. Even from a larger adventure game evolution perspective - over time 10 or so fixed verbs were replaced with 1 function that does most appropriate thing in current situation, and it is now generally considered simpler and more convenient way of interaction.

That comparison is flawed, because the "nearly useless function" is still there regardless: the point isn't whether we should REMOVE THE MENU to replace it with something more useful. And in any case the solution wouldn't be reducing the functions, because all the things you need to do with a menu you'd need to do in some other way regardless. And the two things aren't even mutually exclusive.

Unless there is some crippling disadvantage in allowing the player to access the menu during a cutscene, I really can't see why it would be so inconvenient to let the players do just that.

I'm used to space and intro to skip, esc to pause. Also would be fine to have to press the button two times to skip the video, to avoid accidents.

It'll be usefull if you can pause in the midle of a video (it's not usual...)

I really like the idea of using arrows to fast forward and rewind the scenes. Too many times, I've missed scenes or great dialogue and couldn't go back to see it again.

ESC has always been the menu to me, the space bar is to pause/skip cutscenes. I absolutely LOVE the idea of having hotkeys to rewind/fast forward scenes. That, or have a dedicated "theater mode," or something along those lines, to rewatch cutscenes in case you missed something or just feel like watching them again.

Okay, after some more careful thought:

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start

Why let players skip cutscenes at all? If it is a cutscene that can be triggered more than once, then subsequent instances should be made brief.

If you really have to let players skip, I'm for a "skip cutscene" option in the pause menu (which will be triggered with Esc, or an on-screen button for touchscreen devices).

An essential function though, would be skipping of dialog parts. That wouldn't work with the pause menu as it is too clumsy. Spacebar or left mouse button click should be fine, as the risk in this case is minimal. Esc will always pause the game and bring up a small menu (options, save/load, exit, ...)

I would say the space bar probably but make it so that pressing any button brings up a little prompt that tells you to "hold down _____ to skip the cutscene or _____ to pause." I hate it when I have to play russian roulette when trying to figure out how to pause instead of skipping a cutscene.

It does not matter which key. But if you opt to show it in the scene ("press x to skip"), make it fade away quickly. It always always annoys me when it is shown all time (sometimes flashing).

I would hope that the UI has settings/options/preferences for these sort of things. 'P' is a good key to pause and go to a menu, I think. I'm also used to the F keys from ScummVM

Jamestown let's you press pretty much any button but put's up a prominent "Keep holding that button down to skip this cut-scene" message. It's nice.

I would say the space bar probably but make it so that pressing any button brings up a little prompt that tells you to "hold down _____ to skip the cutscene or _____ to pause." I hate it when I have to play russian roulette when trying to figure out how to pause instead of skipping a cutscene.
Would be ideal IMO

Is this still open?

If it has to be a key, I'd say Enter as in "I order you to quickly reach the end of the cutscene".

If you could invoke it through the game menu, that would be nice as well.

I'd use either spacebar or enter for skipping dialogue/scenes; and 1/2/3/4/... for dialogue choices.

But which is the proper cutscene skipper? And which is the pause/settings button?

Going on past experiences and personal preference, I'd say that Enter is a good skip button (or a button that leads to a prompt/warning about skipping the scene). Esc is almost universally the pause/ menu key, and it works pretty well in that role in my opinion.

Space to skip, so if you're leaning back in your chair you can reach it easily.

Sign in to follow this