Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Quick poll: What keyboard button to skip cutscenes?

What button to skip cutscenes?  

1,241 members have voted

1. 1. What button to skip cutscenes?

• Spacebar
    • Esc
    • Backspace
    • F1
    • Enter

Esc is what all the Humongous Games, games used. Having grown up with putt putt, pajama sam and spy fox, I would be most accustomed to Esc.

I prefer a 2 stage skip.

Both Escape and Space could pause the cutscene.

While paused a prompt shows that (from this point) Escape will skip the rest & Space will resume.

Being a point-and-click, I would surely use the moues and right-click first. If nothing happens, then I would probably press escape, return, or space. In that order.

Who the hell uses escape for anything you press often? Lots of people here cannot into WASD ?

I voted escape, just so I don't hit it on accident. If you make it something like space bar then you need to make it so you have to hold the key down or something. Unskippable cutscenes are just as bad as "oops I skipped it on accident" in my opinion =P

+1

Space is for skipping, Esc is for calling up the menu. Those are the most common right? Those are what I'm used to at least. Sometimes Enter is used for skipping, but I like separate keys for confirming choices and skipping.

EDIT: If you use Esc for skipping, how do you call up menu? Can you then only when you are out of cutscenes?

Space to pause-unpause (Yes, I believe every game should have pausable cutscenes, sometimes an urgent matters pops up)

esc and enter to skip.

Alternatively esc to show the menu.

Yeah i do agree.

Escape is skip / exit / quit.

Pause is pause / resume

Why do I feel like suggesting the period key? What game skipped dialogue with that one?

At any rate, not space, that's pause in my brain as well. I'd prefer Enter or Backspace, probably Backspace.

Customizing the keys will surely happen anyway.

Usually I would say Esc. But you mention in the first post that it will be possible to pause and open up the menu during a cutscene. Which by the way is great and something done far too rarely in video games. So the pause menu should be on Esc all the time. For skipping cutscenes I would then choose Enter I guess. Spacebar would also work but I'll go with Enter for the poll.

I voted for escape on first reaction, but on further consideration escape is where I'd go to pause. So I guess I'd have to say escape to pause, enter to skip cutscenes.

Please please please make it so that cutscenes can be paused. And please add a confirmation dialogue before skipping, because I don't want to be able to accidentally skip one.

Not that you would ever skip a cutscene, especially one of the finely written, acted, animated, and scored cutscenes in Broken Age, but if someone had a gun to your head, which button would you expect to hit to skip that cutscene? (Knowing that you need to save another key to bring up the settings/pause menu?)

Assuming, of course, that you'll be able to remap your keyboard and none of this really matters anyway, not to mention the fact that the sun's going to explode.

But which is the proper cutscene skipper? And which is the pause/settings button?

I totally agree with the first sentence and I love the Idea of pausing the cutscenes and or having a place to watch them again later or just in case your in a hurry and skip it.

middle mouse button to skip scene, right mouse to open inventory... yea, I didn't use the keyboard at all

Sign in to follow this