Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update 5: Creating Characters

WAY back in the day it was browsable on Friendster. Those ancient pages are the ones I rebuilt. Campster is basically just a cleaned-up archive of the old Psychonauts network on Friendster.

Very cool...a Brütal Legend one would be awesome, although would probably resemble Deadjournal ;)

Tim has talked about the idea of making some kind of tool explicitly for this purpose, to allow writers to easily set up these kinds of networks for the purpose of fleshing out their characters and their relationships. It would be a cool thing to make some time!

Great post. Tim is such an entertaining writer. His posts grab you and don't let you go until you are finished reading.

Now if we also get another doc episode this will be a great week.

I really dug Campster.me

It was fun going back to those characters and seeing them interact with each other. I felt like I just got a taste of their personalities in Psychonauts.

I was wondering if there was any desire to reveal those secret characteristics in any of the characters even if it's not exactly relevant. Like if you thought Chloe liking hardcore rap was something that would be fun to write in somewhere but could not find a place to write it in the script without it feeling forced? What do you do with all these little background details that will never be known?

Elton... your mom... uugh never mind.

Great post !

I try to quick sketch him :)

Now THAT'S a guy who looks like his parents run a B&B

This post is epic and so is GOM.'s drawing.

Would love to see my secret love Olivia Ofrenda's character sheet!

It's funny how a man whose name sounds a lot like 'shaver' has this thing with beards btw.

Thanks Tim! It was a very interesting read! I'm so happy this project keeps on going and going, and giving us these little insights in your creative minds. I wanna register at Campster too!

Sneaky way to present the Broken Age character names, yei! :D

i never post here but i would just like to say that after reading this, it is obvious that, you, tim, are a genius.

i never post here but i would just like to say that after reading this, it is obvious that, you, tim, are a genius.

It says that right there in his Grim Fandango notebook too.

Also this was a great and interesting update.

Fantastic update with lots of great ideas.

Until now I've always felt like I knew one of the big secret plot points. However, Shay's character sheet mentions that he has no secrets so my idea might no longer work out ... we'll see ;)

OMG this game is the neverending story!

It's all so nice, so funny, so late, so colored, so prepayed... i hope that all this time is not only for a 2 hours game!

So frustrating to wating

Story time! I was in a writing group once, part of a screenwriting class, and I learned that the art of making your characters likeable and relatable is a dark magic in many ways. Except one way: Whenever I described my characters as “attractive” people seemed to like them more. People just like attractive people more, okay? Don’t blame me. I didn’t invent people. Well, I mean, I guess this whole post is supposedly a lesson in how to invent people. But I didn’t invent real people. You can totally make a story about ugly people, and it will be great. Just don’t try to sell it in Hollywood, he said, cynically. And attractively.

brilliant.

No offense 2PP, but forget episode 10! This was epic! You made my day Tim (and boy did I need it) :-)

All of this being specific reminds me of what a character actor is supposed to do to get inside their role and communicate their uniqueness between the lines of dialog. Give them physical ticks and habits and motions that are not stereotypical and identify them as unique and curious.

I'm feeling excited! I want to make a character now :-). Actually I wonder what my character sheet would look like? Could I learn something about myself by filling that out; would it be any different from a personality test? It's a lot shorter and less convoluted! Myers Briggs eat your heart out!

Seth B.

I loved that post!

I also like reading about interesting people on craigslist... (find inspiration everywhere)

Some people write a lot of stuff about themselves...

I loved that post!

I also like reading about interesting people on craigslist... (find inspiration everywhere)

Some people write a lot of stuff about themselves...

you scare me o_O.

Tim has talked about the idea of making some kind of tool explicitly for this purpose, to allow writers to easily set up these kinds of networks for the purpose of fleshing out their characters and their relationships. It would be a cool thing to make some time!

As a writer, I would totally get something like this.

As it stands, Tim's post is worth gold for writers in any genre, and myself as a backer in general.

Pom-poms can't give you a winning attitude, Benny. It has to come from within! :D!!!!!!!!
Ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good one, Franke!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you secretly a stand-up comedian? :o!

Just kidding!!!! :D!

Well I try not to speculate to much about the future, because no one knows what it holds (except that it's going to be GREAT!!!!!!!!) but I think Clem and I do make a great team, and maybe someday who knows?? :D!

But for now we both agree that we're too young to go steady :D and we'd rather save ourselves for later, maybe when our outrageous sprit for living has died down a little bit :/ and we slip into that phase of one's life where you start giving up on your dreams :( and all the amazing things you thought you were going to do, and you just start to panic that you're going to die alone :o and you feel like grabbing onto the first decent person you can find and tricking them into marriage so that at least you have someone to call 911 for you when your hip breaks and you can't reach the phone.

Long story short: Clem is a great guy!!!!! :D!!!!

That's a massive amount of :D's.

But I couldn’t get my document done. Surprise! I was too distracted with this new thing that came out around that time: Friendster. Anyone remember when Friendster came out? It was such a big thing at first--we were all trying to collect as many Friendster friends as possible, and write funny testimonials on their profiles. I was mildly obsessed with it, and had a hard time pulling myself away.

I'm experiencing a similar problem, only I get distracted from stuff I have to do because I'm reading your post!

Great one by the way, so how does the wolf character details look like? No, no, must concentrate on my real life tasks, oh well, I'll check out Campster for just a little while longer...

My tip for getting stuff done: go offline (or use the online functionality very focused just for research, online docs, inspiration, ...)

[Tim Schafer] [at Double Fine's offices] [writing a great video game]

Now let's see what kind of other stories we can substitute items for ...

[Captain Ahab] [at Double Fine's offices] [writing a great video game]

[Tim Schafer] [at Double Fine's offices] [assembling the best power metal band ever]

[Tim Schafer] [in a futuristic submarine] [writing a great video game]

My tip for getting stuff done: go offline (or use the online functionality very focused just for research, online docs, inspiration, ...)

What is this offline sorcery to which you refer? :)

I use an old RPG character generator made for D&D/Shadowrun/GURPS and the like to help flesh out characters.

Really liked the writing update. Campster was especially cool. Spent the last hour pouring over the site :-) Thanks for sharing.

Great update, made me laugh out loud many times (can't wait to see Broken Age Dialogue) while I was taking notes.

'Atta boy Tim!

Sign in to follow this