Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Broken Age release plan

It's been said enough times already, but take the time you need to make the game as best as it can be. Just keep the documentary episodes coming and everything will be alright!

Yup. Double down on the double fine docu's.

How modest are these cuts that they save five months, I wonder? But hey, everything has its ups and downs and most of us are here for the ride, anyway.

I have HUGE issues with this...

If you're planning to separate the arc of Broken Age into two acts; take the bold step and separate them as two different games! Refine the the narrative so that Broken Age: Act I feels like its own entity. Treat them as two different products and not just a lopped off limb!

You can make two really elegant experiences instead of a partly finished game with its tacked on cousin. This is such a messaging nightmare. Greg was right. This is going to diminish the overall product, DoubleFine, and the idea of crowd-funding in general. Neogaf is going to have a field day with this!

The release should be...

Broken Age: Act I

Broken Age: Act II

...Not part one and part two...

From a spectators perspective the documentary alone was worth the investment. The current status of Broken Age looks far enough along that you can legitimately say you made one hell of a game, Act I.

Make us buy Act II.

You could go back in time to the past and finish the game and it would be already available today.

You could also go into the future and flush the finished game back to us ...

DOTT+1.jpg

But, doing the EAP way seems to be more realistic in the present!

I'm not sure how I understand mid-2015 translating to mid-2014 when early-access is employed. Maybe I misread it.

This is a good idea though. I just hope the game still retains enough of the scope and vision that it was conceptualised with. Best of luck.

I prefer getting an awesome game later to getting a good enough game now. You guys take as long as you need and use whatever tricks you need to. I appreciate how hard you're working to maintain the spirit of the project, though. =]

Love you guys! Stay pumped!

Soooo now you have me really looking forward to my birthday in January.

Don't you dare letting me down on this one ;)

As previous posters said, the most important part is getting it right, if it takes more time so be it.

I am very much looking forward to the release of Broken Age! Wheter it be the full game, episodic content or two halves of the whole. I'm also confident that you'll do whats best for the game. Keep it up, the finish line is in sight (or so it seems)!!! :)

My first reaction was a bit like Greg's in the latest episode, but as a backer I can't really complain. Budget-wise we're essentially getting the sequel (or DLC) to Broken Age for free. If you market it that way, people will probably understand and maybe buy the early access quicker as they are basically funding the second half of the game.

I do hope that you'll be able to find an elegant way to split it, though. I know I probably won't have the patience to wait until April when it's available, but I would hate to have a watered down experience of the actual game.

I support this idea!

I know that people will likely hate me for saying this, but I'd have been willing to pay for Act II if you spent $3m on making Act I.

That is what you promised to do, after all!

Some people don't seem to understand the concept of "budget" and how that relates to a project.

Always seems like those people are unemployed and/or getting free money.

I understand and I look forward to the Early Access!

Hello, Backers of Adventure!

We were always planning to release the beta on Steam, but in addition to that we now have Steam Early Access, which is a new opportunity that actually lets you charge money for pre-release content. That means we could actually sell this early access version of the game to the public at large, and use that money to fund the remaining game development. The second part of the game would come in a free update a few months down the road, closer to April-May.

So, everybody gets to play the game sooner, and we don’t have to cut the game down drastically. Backers still get the whole game this way--nobody has to pay again for the second half. And whatever date we start selling the early release, backers still have exclusive beta access before that, as promised in the Kickstarter.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Please consider backers who don't have steam accounts and do not want to have. The game was planned to be DRM-free as far as I remember. What about them? How, will they get access to the game?Will they get access only to the final complete version?

If you're planning to separate the arc of Broken Age into two acts; take the bold step and separate them as two different games! Refine the the narrative so that Broken Age: Act I feels like its own entity. Treat them as two different products and not just a lopped off limb!

You can make two really elegant experiences instead of a partly finished game with its tacked on cousin. This is such a messaging nightmare. Greg was right. This is going to diminish the overall product, DoubleFine, and the idea of crowd-funding in general. Neogaf is going to have a field day with this!

The release should be...

From a spectators perspective the documentary alone was worth the investment. The current status of Broken Age looks far enough along that you can legitimately say you made one hell of a game, Act I.

Make us buy Act II.

I have exactly the opposite reaction. I wouldn't like it if the game were to be changed (much) to be sold as the first installment and its sequel. It would also somewhat go against what was promised with the Kickstarter, I think many backer would feel rightly slighted if we had to buy the second act. Would also create more work and trouble than it's worth.

Instead, releasing the first part first as it belongs to the whole game seems a reasonable compromise between commercial necessities and not slighting the backers or reworking the game much, if at all.

Most important part is to differentiate those who buy the first part than those who wait.

The non-backers who may buy the game early must get the feeling it's special, different than the kickstarter (they didn't back so far so they don't want to buy something unfinished), but still compelling than waiting for the complete game.

So we are talking here about gamers, and people who like adventure games but decided that it's not worth backing even for $15 and still convince them to get it earlier than having the option of playing the full game a bit later. This is not a trivial marketing task.

I'm kind of curious: Can we get some kind of idea as to how long Brokern Age is going to be? In my mind, Grim Fandango and Full Throttle were two ends of the spectrum - Grim Fandango being quite long and Full Throttle being on the shorter end in terms of gameplay.

Is Broken Age really going to be shorter than Full Throttle?

As a backer, I don't mind this plan at all. If I hadn't backed yet, I'd be very reluctant to buy a part I that ended on a cliffhanger if I didn't have access to the backer videos. Would you consider releasing Part I only to backers and bumping up the slacker backer entry cost at that point? I guess the release of Part I is a reasonable time to offer a game-only pre-order, which is basically what this is (the pre-order incentive being early access to the first half).

One thing that I actually really like about the two-stage release is that we'll be able to start discussing the content of the game on the forums and 2PP could include more spoilery things from the first part of the game in the later documentaries. It'll also be fun to speculate about Part II after everyone's done playing the first section, so I think this move will do good things for the discussion here.

I'm fine with waiting... I would be disappointed to see the game's scope/quality cut just to rush it out to a certain deadline.

I think the art style's been a mistake from the get-go (versus going with something more old-school and much cheaper/faster). It looks cool but I don't think the value it adds to the game is going to justify the cost in the end.

The release should be...

Make us buy Act II.

i have already replied to your new thread in the discussion & feedback. the short answer: "no." the long answer: "nooooo." can you even imagine the reaction the backers at large??

I would have thought a large amount of your new sales would come from the ios market, are you planning on releasing on ios in the same manner / time scale as Steam?

I suppose you could release Act1 and then release Act2 as an update. It might have already said this somewhere and I missed it.

Good luck with it anyway, whichever way of releasing is fine by me, although things with 2 acts do scare me, I'm more of a 3 act kinda guy, Trilogy’s make me happy.

x

The release should be...

Make us buy Act II.

I have exactly the opposite reaction. I wouldn't like it if the game were to be changed (much) to be sold as the first installment and its sequel. It would also somewhat go against what was promised with the Kickstarter, I think many backer would feel rightly slighted if we had to buy the second act. Would also create more work and trouble than it's worth.

Instead, releasing the first part first as it belongs to the whole game seems a reasonable compromise between commercial necessities without slighting the backers or reworking the game much, if at all.

How much did you contribute the the project exactly? Lets say $50.

This is what you've gotten in return for that money...

- A full season documentary featuring the process/progress of game development

- Insider blogs and accounts from industry professionals

- Backer swag

- Broken Age

Honestly, the idea that you feel that you're not getting your money's worth sounds utterly selfish to me. Had this documentary never existed and DF wrapped and shipped the current product you probably would have been ecstatic. You saw the man behind the curtain though... and now you want it all.

Congrats you just murdered this franchise. This is going to backfire like all hell.

I'm kind of curious: Can we get some kind of idea as to how long Brokern Age is going to be? In my mind, Grim Fandango and Full Throttle were two ends of the spectrum - Grim Fandango being quite long and Full Throttle being on the shorter end in terms of gameplay.

I think "scope" shouldn't be equalled with "playing time". Full Throttle was short, yes, but you might say that it had a bigger scope than Day of the Tentacle nonetheless. It had more cutscenes, elaborate animations, game systems, maybe even screens (dunno, didn't count them). On the other hand, Full Throttle definitely felt less lengthy, less expansive, I guess because there weren't as many puzzles and therefore as the player you kinda rushed through the environments.

I think as Lee said in the episode, "scope" shouldn't be equalled with "playing time". Full Throttle was short, yes, but you might say it had a bigger scope than Day of the Tentacle nonetheless. More cutscenes, animations, game systems, maybe even screens (dunno, didn't count them). On the other hand, Full Throttle definitely felt less lengthy, less expansive, I guess because there weren't as many puzzles and therefore you kinda rush through the environments.

Also, we already know from the documentary the original design of Broken Age had 40 puzzles, a similar number to Grim Fandango, and Full Throttle had 20 puzzles. They've cut the game down, but I doubt it's a full half as big as the original design, especially if they're cutting into Acts I and II now. My guess is that each act will be around 15 puzzles, making Act I + II combined longer than Full Throttle but shorter than Grim Fandango.

Sometimes i wish i would be one of those people that would win like 150 million or whatever :P

But im sure even Tim could find a way to use that money up as well hehe.

It must be hard to make something as complex as a game from a set amount of money. I know even when i have some projects at home where i build something, it just never ends up at the price i think it would. Ironically you could see this very thing with tims car. even mechanics, it always cost more than you expect thats just life.

I guess thats kinda the downside of kickstarter money is used up thats it.

One thing most kickstarters have done since Double fine. is that they open up access for people to still buy the game on their website and such. that seems to be a very good way. of increasing the funding.

hopefully the steam early access will bring in more money to help fund it through.

I like this idea the most, i would hate to have the game cut in half. So i rather have the game split in 2.

But i have a question?, as i understand it, with the full release the game will be assembled into 1 part correct? so i can play it through in one go. Not like having to exit and boot up episode 2 or something ?

This is the real world and sometimes there isnt a good solution like in the movies, sometimes you have to pick one of the lesser evils. and this is definitely the one and the best imo.

Congrats you just murdered this franchise. This is going to backfire like all hell.

Big presumption right there without a lot to back it up. Also: woah, didn't know my influence on this project was that big! :gulp:

Also also: Franchise? Really? A sequel is rather unlikely, don't you think? Especially considering Tim's track record. I wouldn't expect a movie adaptation any time soon either.

I don't see why Steam Early Access would be hurtful. Doesn't hurt all the other games that use it, does it? You might say that it isn't a good fit for adventure games, but then, you didn't say that.

Sounds good to me. Looking forward to january then!

What a horrible release plan.

I want a broken, unplayable, and short game to be finished at the initially hypothesized date given, with only Kickstarter money used to develop it, instead of a fully functioning complete game with an inventive release plan and additional funding. How dare you break your non-specific plans that you've promised me you'd follow.

I am dismayed.

Dismayed I say.

Anyway, hope the Steam Pre-Release Early Release Whatever generates enough of the additional funding needed.

Indeed. FT was too short to be satisfying. But if there's no budget, what can you do. I wonder what could be accomplished with the original $400K.

- Backer swag

- Broken Age

Honestly, the idea that you feel that you're not getting your money's worth sounds utterly selfish to me.

(...)

What he's saying is that the core here is the game. The rest is extras. Getting half the game, even if it's turned into a semi-self-contained "episode", would be disappointing.

Edit: Regarding the topic at hand, I've no problem with split release or delays. I'm in no rush, and I prefer better than sooner.

Indeed. FT was too short to be satisfying. But if there's no budget, what can you do. I wonder what could be accomplished with the original $400K.

- Backer swag

- Broken Age

Honestly, the idea that you feel that you're not getting your money's worth sounds utterly selfish to me.

(...)

What he's saying is that the core here is the game. The rest is extras. Getting half the game, even if it's turned into a semi-self-contained "episode", would be disappointing.

I posted this on kickstarter, but I'll post it here as well:

With nearly 90,000 backers, any solution would never be able to please everyone. As much as I backed this kickstarter for a product (the game), I also backed it because of the experience of following along with the process. And following along has helped make this a much more memorable experience in the long run than some random game I backed and later played a few times upon release.

And now it will be even more memorable, and I think, in a good way. Best of luck DF and Broken Age Team.

Fun pills and sleds for everyone.

Smiles

- Backer swag

- Broken Age

(...)

I created a thread in Suggestions about this issue. I will quickly say that they have spent every backer dollar on development for Broken Age.

You are owed nothing more than that. Wrap it and ship it.

Sign in to follow this