Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Broken Age release plan

The most important thing is that Broken Age will turn out to be a real "classic" game.

A game that years from now (like Day of the tentacle,Monkey island, Grim fandango and etc...) will leave an indelible mark on the adventure gaming industry.

So, Double Fine need more money... Double fine by me :)

Oops, they need more time... Double fine by me again...

As long as the target is clear...Make the best adventure game you can...

And, as far as i know... Tim is one of the few people who can manage creating a classic adventure game.

Good luck guys!!!

Yotam from Israel.

P.S: My apologies, But my English is far from perfect :)

Long time lurker and first post here since the beginning of this project. I fully support the path you guys have decided to take with getting the game finished mainly because from what i've seen of it so far in the documentaries, it is shaping up to be something really special and I'd hate that you would have to compromise the vision. Do what you need to do :)

I backed both this game and Massive Chalice on KS.

I have zero interest in dev blogs or doc videos or any of the rest of that bunk. I want to play the game.

You asked for 400,000 and got 3.3million, and now you are telling us you can't make the game you want in a reasonable amount of time AND have started another huge project?

Extremely disappointing. It also makes me questions the viability of these large gaming Kickstarters.

Not cool guys, not cool at all.

I backed both this game and Massive Chalice on KS.

I have zero interest in dev blogs or doc videos or any of the rest of that bunk. I want to play the game.

You asked for 400,000 and got 3.3million, and now you are telling us you can't make the game you want in a reasonable amount of time AND have started another huge project?

Extremely disappointing. It also makes me questions the viability of these large gaming Kickstarters.

Not cool guys, not cool at all.

Maybe if you'd not had 'zero interest' in the videos you'd realise that

a) They totally can make the game, they're just putting their own money in so that they can make it as big as they want it to be.

b) MC and this game are totally different teams, so the budget of one doesn't affect the other

Don't really get all the drama. The game is shaping up in a splendid form. It looks so GORGEOUS. Double Fine has been transparent about the budget problems for a while now, and this solution seems the best for everyone.

There are some people who are not following the development and seem to think that they are not going to even launch this game, and that, honestly, is kind of dumb.

Oh well, can't wait for the game, guys. Btw, just finished Psychonauts, such an AWESOME game.

Oh really? Because from the update I read it seems like they are cutting some of the proposed game.

Yeah, yeah - I love the guy's games and the genre and want to see if succeed blah blah blah and all the other crap. However, don't ask for 400k and get 3300K and then tell me there are problems. Eight times the funding asked for and problems...really? It is not like these people have never made a game before.

As I said, extremely disappointing and not good for anyone, including future gaming Kickstarters.

Oh really? Because from the update I read it seems like they are cutting some of the proposed game.

Yeah, yeah - I love the guy's games and the genre and want to see if succeed blah blah blah and all the other crap. However, don't ask for 400k and get 3300K and then tell me there are problems. Eight times the funding asked for and problems...really? It is not like these people have never made a game before.

As I said, extremely disappointing and not good for anyone, including future gaming Kickstarters.

Would you prefer they made a $300,000, small, short adventure game without voices, like they originally planned then? Cos you can't have it both ways.

Money Plan: Tim Schafer produces a novelty hipster rap song. Wear a tie around your forehead and run around the studio, wear some game memorabilia on a golden chain.

Thank me later.

You read the update wrong. You are indeed not getting the proposed 300K game. You are however getting the 3300K game (even though they didn't raise nearly that much budget for the game with the kickstarter) in January. If that sells reasonably well you get even more content.

Like someone else said, take as long as you need.

Let's be honest, quality adventure games, in the spirit of the old Lucas Arts stuff, are no more. They just don't happen. I'm completely grateful that Double Fine are bringing a new one to life.

I waited longer than this for a new adventure game to surface, I think I can manage a little longer.

Now we just need to give Gilbert a kick to reboot the MI series.. ;)

It looks like we've got the scope thing on lock down, now we just have to bust it out! Keep kicking ass guys!

With a traditional producer they have project managers etc. on their back all the time attempting to keep things on schedule - they will demand cuts that make the game worse, sometimes even ruin it, etc. With Kickstarter funded they only have self-imposed compromise, however, the lack of an aggressive 'third party' project manager keeping things on time and budget is showing why that is necessary with traditional funding. In future projects I am sure DF will learn and be better at self imposing limits to keep things closer to budget and on schedule.

As long as the game is great (and backers get the ENTIRE game, all episodes), I will be perfectly content, even if it takes years.

However, don't ask for 400k and get 3300K and then tell me there are problems. Eight times the funding asked for and problems...really? It is not like these people have never made a game before.

I love these armchair game development management experts. You do realize just about every game that was ever developed goes through these sort of issues but its never made public? This is being made public because it was part of the deal - a documentary about the game being made - sausage and all.

I think most of us would of been disappointed if the scope hadn't changed to suit the bigger budget. Yes, they have realized the scope is now too big for the budget hence making cuts but they are trying to find ways to get more money (out of the companies own pocket no less - NO ONE is going to pay more) so they don't have to cut too much.

Really, WHAT is everyone's problem with this? Backers are not paying more money. Double Fine is doing the extra funding themselves - putting the future of the studio on the line while doing this - very gutsy. We've been given release dates. The game is looking fantastic and looks on track to be a game that classic adventure game fans deserve and want.

So the game isn't being released this year. Big deal. Cry me a river about your first world problems lol

people complaining are like persons who buy a ticket to see the inside of a sausage factory and then afterwards copmlain how gross everything looks and demand a refund.

The last episode was brilliant. So perfectly timed and themed - especially at the end!

It was strange watching them discuss BA's release. A part of me hated the idea of it coming out in 2 parts, but with everything I know from these behind the scenes videos, I was totally for it.

Roll on January!

With a traditional producer they have project managers etc. on their back all the time attempting to keep things on schedule - they will demand cuts that make the game worse, sometimes even ruin it, etc. With Kickstarter funded they only have self-imposed compromise, however, the lack of an aggressive 'third party' project manager keeping things on time and budget is showing why that is necessary with traditional funding. In future projects I am sure DF will learn and be better at self imposing limits to keep things closer to budget and on schedule.

As long as the game is great (and backers get the ENTIRE game, all episodes), I will be perfectly content, even if it takes years.

Totally agree with you !

KS was so they can be free of publishers and pressure and make the game and changes as they want, and is all good with me. But when you make so much game and changes that the money is enough only for half of it..............well better management next time for sure !!

dont mind the wait and im sure the game is going to bre great .

Greatness never comes easy, but I'd rather wait for great than settle for good. I'm sure DF will pull through.

Tim,

Do what you and your team need to do. I've been playing every game you've made since I was a kid and not one ever disappointed me.

What kind of revenue are you going to have to make in order to have a legit second portion of the game? Are the sales going to have to be abnormal or is it fairly reasonable to obtain (or, will the sales you get determine the quality of the second)?

In any event, I don't see any downside to this whatsoever. I get everything that was promised and an early delivery on half of the game. I don't understand what all this bitching is about in other forums. I think they primarily don't realize that this is an EARLY release of the first half rather than pushing back the second half. So nothing is lost.

My only regret is not being a super secret billionaire with cash to fling everywhere...

(FYI, I've been taking advantage of those bundles you mentioned and playing some games I've missed. The Cave is seriously great. Onto Stacking next.)

Keep in mind, a BIG chunk of that money went to Amazon, the IRS and fulfilling mail order backer orders. Glad that the folks in Massive Chalice took a lesson in that and made most of the items digital. But that's just the public eye for anything that greatly exceeds Kickstarter goals.

I'm...conflicted. I hate it when a game is split in to two parts when it was meant to be one piece. I really don't like shorter games and personally I'd feel like I've lost a chunk of what I was expecting.

But I also understand that Tim went full-hog on this one and they need more money to make it the prettiest girl in the carshow. I also get the need to release the first half out so impatient people and other folks can get the message of "Christ, SEE? We aren't just twiddling our thumbs in the office and randomly deciding we need more money." I get it.

I'm for the game being released like this, but would really hope that when the game is done it will be released as one game, not a "To continue the game, open Part II" unit.

Also, for the people who want to try out the mechanics of the game, but don't want to be spoiled with a pre-release, will there be a demo version of part 1 to play?

Keep in mind, a BIG chunk of that money went to Yahoo

What money went to Yahoo?

Clearly I need more coffee. I meant amazon.

I honestly dislike this. I'm not going to beg for a refund because I do hope the end product ends up being good.

Adventure games aren't dead, they've just been ruined by the episodic format (imo). Games like Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island 2 were brilliantly designed because there were many areas to explore and puzzles to solve concurrently. But modern adventure games like Telltale feel so small in scope; there's only a few areas to explore per episode, and there usually aren't many concurrent puzzles. Because areas and items are so limited, the games end up being very short and very easy.

If what I am hearing is true about Double Fine using an episodic release plan for Broken Age, I'll be really upset since I was picturing the game I backed to be more like Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island 2 than Sam & Max Season x.

I'm not trying to troll or even complain, just express worry about a project that I backed as soon as my friend showed me it.

Also before I get blasted with "They've given you hours of Documentary Footage, stop being so selfish" like it seems many other users have been. I don't care about the documentary, and I didn't pledge to see it. I'm not trying to say it is a bad documentary or that I have anything against people who like it, it just doesn't interest me. If I had the option to say "Put my entire pledge into the game, none into the documentary" I would have.

I honestly dislike this. I'm not going to beg for a refund because I do hope the end product ends up being good.

Adventure games aren't dead, they've just been ruined by the episodic format (imo). Games like Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island 2 were brilliantly designed because there were many areas to explore and puzzles to solve concurrently. But modern adventure games like Telltale feel so small in scope; there's only a few areas to explore per episode, and there usually aren't many concurrent puzzles. Because areas and items are so limited, the games end up being very short and very easy.

If what I am hearing is true about Double Fine using an episodic release plan for Broken Age, I'll be really upset since I was picturing the game I backed to be more like Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island 2 than Sam & Max Season x.

I'm not trying to troll or even complain, just express worry about a project that I backed as soon as my friend showed me it.

Also before I get blasted with "They've given you hours of Documentary Footage, stop being so selfish" like it seems many other users have been. I don't care about the documentary, and I didn't pledge to see it. I'm not trying to say it is a bad documentary or that I have anything against people who like it, it just doesn't interest me. If I had the option to say "Put my entire pledge into the game, none into the documentary" I would have.

Well if you'd watch the documentary, you'd see it isn't going to an episodic format. They're releasing a BIG chunk of the game to get enough funding to finish the final part. You can wait til the final part is released and play the game as one full game, not episodic.

So instead of posting about "what you're hearing", it might be helpful to try some reading first.

It's not going to be episodic, it's just that the first half of the game is going to be playable early.

Monkey Island 2 was divided up into four parts. You could easily break that in half, playing the first two chapters, and then stop and play the second two chapters a few months later. It would still be the same game. The Steam Early Access beta of Broken Age is going to be like that.

Sign in to follow this