Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Broken Age release plan

What's a parody?

They were sometimes known as the Twelve Peers. Now historically, they were the foremost members of Charlemagne's court, although many of their famous exploits are largely fictitious, representing Christian martial superiority over the Saracen hordes.

What's a parody?

They were sometimes known as the Twelve Peers. Now historically, they were the foremost members of Charlemagne's court, although many of their famous exploits are largely fictitious, representing Christian martial superiority over the Saracen hordes.

Ultima9-Paladin.jpg

Am I disappointed I'll have to wait longer? Sure. Am I disappointed that I'll be getting a bigger, richer game? Absolutely not.

Just make the game you would be proud to say was your product I don't care how long it takes we are investors in this project not consumers after all.

It's like a pune or play on words.

Not really.

A parody is making fun of certain films, music, events or situations, exaggerating it as much as possible.

Weird Al Yankovic, anyone?

Monthy Python were brilliant at it. So was Little Britain.

It's like a pune or play on words.

Not really.

A parody is making fun of certain films, music, events or situations, exaggerating it as much as possible.

Weird Al Yankovic, anyone?

Monthy Python were brilliant at it. So was Little Britain.

It can be a play on words, 'Shawn of the Dead' for example.

I was only ever in for $15

you sure have some high expectations for $15

Considering for $15 I picked up Deus Ex Human Revolution, Hitman:Absolution and a couple great indy games. Yeah. You could say I have high expectations for $15.

I believe that the people here who complain that Double Fine is breaking the promises from the Kickstarter campaign and thus hurting Kickstarter, are the ones who hurt Kickstarter the most.

As already mentioned in this thread, backing projects on Kickstarter is partronage, not calculated investments. Kickstarter is a place where people who need money for their projects can find supporters that give them resources with no formal strings attached, not a place where anal retentive blokes can fork up $15 and demand the world. The way some people argue on this forum makes them look like mini producers, and having 90 000 angry and controlling producers sounds considerably worse than havning just one.

As people have written a million times already, the documentary and the forums alone are well worth the price of admission, and now it looks like we will actually get a good game out of it, too. I have enjoyed watching the process for more than a year, and will continue to do so to the end. It certainly doesn't looke like it will all go to hell, even though that would be fully acceptable (but certainly depressing).

EDIT: The anal is not supposed to be a swear word, but the equivalent of the word rectum, that fits together with "retentive". Bizarre.

From the kickstarter FAQ...

Is a creator legally obligated to fulfill the promises of their project?

Yes. Kickstarter's Terms of Use require creators to fulfill all rewards of their project or refund any backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill. (This is what creators see before they launch.) We crafted these terms to create a legal requirement for creators to follow through on their projects, and to give backers a recourse if they don't. We hope that backers will consider using this provision only in cases where they feel that a creator has not made a good faith effort to complete the project and fulfill.

That doesn't seem like patronage to me.

I'm still coming to terms with this decision, trying to find the positive in the negative I originally felt reading the update. I'm trusting DF will deliver something good eventually. Though I have to admit I'd much rather have had a small game that was scaled WAY UP then a big game that was scaled WAY DOWN. Which is what it sounds like to me.

Looking forward to the first part in January. In the meantime the stuff I got during the steam summer sale should keep me occupied.

A pun is traditionally not the same thing as a parody becauste puns aren't meant to mock an original.

A pun is traditionally not the same thing as a parody becauste puns aren't meant to mock an original.

Well the pun in Shaun of the Dead is not mocking Dawn of the Dead, just sort of, trivialising the name. So it's a parody still.

From the kickstarter FAQ...
Is a creator legally obligated to fulfill the promises of their project?

Yes. Kickstarter's Terms of Use require creators to fulfill all rewards of their project or refund any backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill. (This is what creators see before they launch.) We crafted these terms to create a legal requirement for creators to follow through on their projects, and to give backers a recourse if they don't. We hope that backers will consider using this provision only in cases where they feel that a creator has not made a good faith effort to complete the project and fulfill.

That doesn't seem like patronage to me.

Description of the first reward:

The finished game in all of its awesome glory DRM free on PC, Mac, and Linux, or via Steam for PC and Mac, exclusive access to the Beta on Steam, access to the video series, and access the private discussion community.

Wait, that's exactly what Double Fine will deliver. Do you see a date anywhere? Or that the game will not be delivered in two parts?

I'm still coming to terms with this decision, trying to find the positive in the negative I originally felt reading the update. I'm trusting DF will deliver something good eventually.

Coming to terms! Excuse me, but do you have cancer or something? That'd be a very bad thing. This is merely about Double Fine taking more time than anticipated to complete a game.

Though I have to admit I'd much rather have had a small game that was scaled WAY UP then a big game that was scaled WAY DOWN. Which is what it sounds like to me.

Ahem, the game was "scaled WAY UP", from the moment the pledges had reached $400,000.

Well the pun in Shaun of the Dead is not mocking Dawn of the Dead, just sort of, trivialising the name. So it's a parody still.

I'd say the title "Shaun of the Dead" is more of a pun than parody though. The movie itself is a parody.

I'd prefer them to have proven an ability to manage a budget, and make an awesome game within those confines. I can't believe how many people invested in their new kickstarter campaign on the heels of this fiasco.

So I've just got around to watching the episode, and I appreciate seeing real people experience real pain when a schedule and a budget start to diverge. Been there done that.

>> Hasty Generalisations Follow >>

Does DF have a problem with their scheduling? Probably. Does the IT industry have a problem with scheduling? Definitely. Why? Is it because we are basically creative types who don't want to understand or be constrained by deliverables and due dates and resourcing and costs? Or is it because we tend to use pretend tools to schedule what are essentially massively complex projects? (MS Project, I'm pointing the finger at you here).

True scheduling should be driven by logic, successors and predecessors, calendars, and resourcing. Not dates which is what a tool like MS Project encourages you to do. A schedule is just a document that reveals The Truth. It should be used as something to help you find ways to achieve an end goal. Good schedulers are worth their weight in gold, because they won't hide The Truth from you, but will reveal it in all it's ugly splendour and then help you find ways to bring end dates forward.

But what would I know of DF's business practices? I'm just a backer. And I'm probably just talking through a hole in my head.

>> Back On Topic >>

Having said all that, I think the two part release concept is a terrific opportunity to turn things in game publishing on their head. It doesn't upset me because there is a rich tradition of serialisation going back to the 1800's when Charles Dickens knocked out The Pickwick Papers in serialised form. We're happy to accept the serialisation of a comic/graphic novel/fantasy/scifi, so why not an adventure game?

I see a world where I subscribe to the game, and I get chapters or episodes that I can play through to my heart's content. And then maybe each new chapter will add some goodies to the earlier chapters so I can go back and find new stuff to enjoy.

Or perhaps I could subscribe to a warts and all development version of the game, seeing it grow before my eyes. Not dissimilar to what was done for the first cut of the novel Machine Man.

I dunno. At the end of it all this won't be the first KS project that delivered late, nor will it be the last. In a way late delivery is kind of like having a surprise birthday AND getting a present at the same time. Pleasurable in the extreme.

I wonder what Tim would do if PayPal accidentally paid in some money, hahaha... Guys the rewards itself costed Double Fine $400,000, and Kickstarter also took a cut of the money. So I think the money Double Fine got to make the game is much less. As long as I get the game I'm fairly happy. I do think the behind the scenes peek that Two Player Productions' documentary and the updates from the various departments have been worth it already. The teaser trailer just makes me incredibly anxious to play the game. It looks really nice.

I'd say the title "Shaun of the Dead" is more of a pun than parody though. The movie itself is a parody.

Shaun of the Dead isn't really a parody. It's a zombie movie that happens to also be a comedy. It's more of an homage.

As a fan, I´m very disappointing. And the main reasons are that I see this as a "broken promise" (Lack of documentaries, when was the last one??, release date, why we find out just now about this) but the worse of all, i feel bad because You are using this channel to make publicity for next games.

EDIT: Last documentary was 2 weeks ago, my mistake, thanks marcus for the clarification

What in the .... why make publicity of a new kickstarted using this channel? you want more money for a new game, when we still does not have one in hand. And, wherever you have a lot of teams working on different projects, this game is getting delayed. The documentary is delayed because "they've also been helping out" the other game video... people leaving the project... but again, please STOP making publicity for a new game until we have the one that we pay for. That only make the things worse. Check the last 2 emails... says more about the new one than for broken age.

Is not what I have been expected. In fact... you promise the game in a few months "We were aiming to finish in October of 2012, but in light of the increased budget we're planning to expand production to ensure we make the best game possible." and from October 2012 to July 2014.... or even 2015... I don't know about you but for me... its a lot of time. So, wait!! if you get more money with ports... that mean... that the game will be done by 2016 right? (Just being ironic)

Now... that I have said what I wanted to say... deep breath... clean my mind.... deep breath again... ok...

well... I expect this to be the best adventure game ever....

Regards,

Lack of documentaries, when was the last one??

The last documentary episode was released about 2 weeks ago. If you haven't seen it, go take a look; it's the sticky post at the top of the forum.

Lack of documentaries, when was the last one??

The last documentary episode was released about 2 weeks ago. If you haven't seen it, go take a look; it's the sticky post at the top of the forum.

Updated my post, tx marcus for the clarification

After watching the last video, I can summarize this:

@tim: - If we get 400k dollars, we deliver DFA in 7 months!

@community: - Cool, here you have, 3.3 millions!

.... 15 months later...

@tim: - Ok now we need +3 millions... in order to deliver it in +12months

And with that, killing the spirit of the kickstarted project (or should I say, you are "brokenaging" the spirit of kickstarted?)

I love the idea about this game, and I love what i see about the game. But again, don't promise things that you can not deliver.

I´m... wrong?

After watching the last video, I can summarize this:

.... 15 months later...

And with that, killing the spirit of the kickstarted project (or should I say, you are "brokenaging" the spirit of kickstarted?)

I love the idea about this game, and I love what i see about the game. But again, don't promise things that you can not deliver.

I´m... wrong?

Estimations are no promises they always said that the dates where estimations and always could change. And kickstarter is for starting a project not fully paying and pre-ordering a project that has a set date.

I've never posted here (I prefer to read :)) but, in this particular case, I wanted to say "thanks" for all the work you've done up to now. Take all the time you need to make a good game.

.... 15 months later...

Please show me where you were promised that the game would be done by a certain date. There was one promise made: that Double Fine will deliver the game -- however it turns out. And they're hard at work just doing that. At their own expense.

.... 15 months later...

Please show me where you were promised that the game would be done by a certain date. There was one promise made: that Double Fine will deliver the game -- however it turns out. And they're hard at work just doing that. At their own expense.

Actually, I'm not sure even that was promised. We were promised to have the opportunity to watch them either make a great game, or fail spectacularly trying. They're living up to the bargain. We're getting what we were promised.

Actually, I'm not sure even that was promised. We were promised to have the opportunity to watch them either make a great game, or fail spectacularly trying. They're living up to the bargain. We're getting what we were promised.

It's good to know there are people out there who really understood what they pledged for.

This only sounds reasonable on a first view but not if you think about it anymore because...

There is a big difference between running a project for $400k and $3.5m/$6m/?$m. This amount of overfunding changes the conditions for the project and the project. Failing on this level is no option anymore, not if you want to utalise crowdfunding in the future again, at best for greater financing too. Otherwise you're ruining the trust people put into you, most probably the most valuable resource in this context.

You already would have seen the negative influence on Massive Chalice if they would have informed the backers properly before.

So, whilst Tim was joking around and offering the option to fail in the trailer, he did this for a $400k project, not the current budget and it was the first time in the new territory Kickstarter. He won't be able to ask for $10m and say the same things again. This would question his respectability and having an big influence on DF activities in the crowdfunding sector. It's like when a kid asks his dad for $10, dad gives him the money and all is fine. If the kid asks for $100 instead, the spot is on him and dad wants to know what he needs this much money for. The amount of money involved often changes things.

I think it's pretty clear that this:

I want to point out that Broken Age’s schedule changes have nothing to do with the team working slowly. They have been kicking ass and the game looks, plays, and sounds amazing. It’s just taking a while because I designed too much game, as I pretty much always do. But we’re pulling it in, and the good news is that the game’s design is now 100% done, so most of the unknowns are now gone and it’s not going to get any bigger.

is PR BS. The problem is the team and the management, not the design. There is no excuse for being as far into development as this game is and having only a couple rooms complete. They knew how much money they had to spend, and they ABSURDLY overshot. This is not only Tim's fault; his managers are awful and his team is inefficient.

Anyway, they're hard at work implementing cloud-saving, at the moment. Good at it, guys.

Okay, let me just find that ignore button...

Should it be ESC or space? And do you need to hold it? :-)

The documentary alone is well worth its 15 bucks.

(To be honest, the art style is not exactly my cup of tea, but hey - I get a game on top!)

Here is a way to finance the 2nd part of your unforeseen Herculean adventure:

Give the backers an option to turn the boy's ship into an Idris Corvette and make it L-L-L-LIMITED! *insert Unreal Tournament monsterkill voice*

Boom! 250,000 dollars :)

http://www.gameskinny.com/mdrty/200-imaginary-spaceships-sold-for-a-real-250000-in-star-citizen-24-hour-livestream-event

Sign in to follow this