Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Broken Age release plan

Well I hope the game turns out great and wish Double Fine the best. All I am saying is, meh at how this stuff was handled. Game got delayed 2 times, they finished the 3 millions, documentary went on hiatus for months, Ron Gilbert is not really helping making the game. As a guy who put a few bucks on the the game I really don't care, but man you got to figure this stuff out if you want to find publishers for your next games.

Well I hope the game turns out great and wish Double Fine the best. All I am saying is, meh at how this stuff was handled. Game got delayed 2 times, they finished the 3 millions, documentary went on hiatus for months, Ron Gilbert is not really helping making the game. As a guy who put a few bucks on the the game I really don't care, but man you got to figure this stuff out if you want to find publishers for your next games.

They ARE figuring it out. This is how they're going about finishing the game and still delivering what was promised to the backers without having to cut the scope significantly. I'd say it's a pretty fine solution, myself.

What I pledged for: A classic point-and-click adventure developed "over a six-to-eight month period" (Kickstarter Project Description) for $400k by "a small team", the original release target being Oct 2012.

What I got: A much larger team, a multi-million dollar budget (that still isn't enough), and many delays - the current estimated release date being sometimes in 2014.

Where did it go so wrong?

Soooo... you're basically funding part 2 by selling part 1?

I don't know... this sounds SO risky. I mean, you've already sold 90.000 copies of the game. We're talking about an adventure game, that's A LOT. Considering your vision is so expensive, how many copies of Part 1 do you think you'll need to sell, in order to PROPERLY fund part 2?

Remember: we already own the game, so we're out of the equation.

I don't know... this sounds SO risky. I mean, you've already sold 90.000 copies of the game. We're talking about an adventure game, that's A LOT. Considering your vision is so expensive, how many copies of Part 1 do you think you'll need to sell, in order to PROPERLY fund part 2?

As someone already pointed out in this thread, the Leisure Suit Larry remake sold 250,000 units in it's first week. There's an audience for adventure games outside of just the people who fund these kickstarters.

As someone already pointed out in this thread, the Leisure Suit Larry remake sold 250,000 units in it's first week. There's an audience for adventure games outside of just the people who fund these kickstarters.

Would that be enough? At this point, I cannot be sure of anything.

Also, Larry is all about sex. You can't go wrong with sex. :-P

somehow i feel like the idea of releasing separate parts gives me the opportunity to buy the game again (which probably a lot of backers will do as well) and thus fund the project a little bit more .... i'm not sure if i had done that with one "official" release when its finally got out.. you know, if theres only one email coming "today is the day .. thank you backer, here is the download link!" ... but maybe i'm just trying to find some positive side ;)

I, for one, are happy that the game is getting bigger and that Tim is to ready to take risks to create & deliver a BETTER, more beautiful game. Remember, if her were not ready to take risks, games like Grim Fandango or Psychonauts would have never been made...

Go, Tim! Go, team! Go, 2pp!!! You are the best!

P.S. : i will donate more money if I can, I probably can, after summer. :)

This is what kickstarter stands for, complete freedom from publishers. And if there is a way to balloon the 2 and some millions budget to 5 or *gasp* 6 millions, it's even better!

Take all the time you need and make a kick as game. In my opinion kickstarter is a service for the artist, not the backers. We just have to suck it up and learn what it means to truly be patrons of the arts.

That was just the first weeks sales. They will continue to sell well after that. Not to mention, the Larry remake does not have the same recognition Broken Age does. A lot more people know what Psychonauts is than what Leisure Suit Larry is.

While I may have not been always super excited about some updates, I am totally behind you guys for this. Why would I not want you guys to add more value to my pledge? Just make sure that dividing into two Acts won't compromise any of the game structure, since I still hope it'll be a huge explorative game à la Monkey Island 2 or Chaos on Deponia.

That was just the first weeks sales. They will continue to sell well after that. Not to mention, the Larry remake does not have the same recognition Broken Age does. A lot more people know what Psychonauts is than what Leisure Suit Larry is.

I REALLY hope your optimism is spot on, and I'm not ironic. I'm just worried for Double Fine's image, that's all. ;-)

The game looks great so far.

This is what kickstarter stands for, complete freedom from publishers. And if there is a way to balloon the 2 and some millions budget to 5 or *gasp* 6 millions, it's even better!

Take all the time you need and make a kick as game. In my opinion kickstarter is a service for the artist, not the backers. We just have to suck it up and learn what it means to truly be patrons of the arts.

That is a very good way to look at this, dear Sir! Yes we are patrons, yes we need, we MUST to be patient and understanding - we backers shall NEVER become the impatient, agressive, restrictive force that big studios have become - against whom the whole Kickstarter thing stands!!!

Do anything you feel you need to do to make the best game you can.

Anyone who is familiar with Tim's oeuvre must have expected something like this to happen. Kickstarter is not a preorder, it's patronage. And I'm proud to be a patron of Double Fine, even if it has its quirks. All artists do.

I'm just gonna go ahead and repost what I posted on Kickstarter.

Boy, I hate to say it, but Double Fine really fucked up. Not by making the game bad - it looks great - but by not taking their budget limitations more seriously from the start. Going somewhat over-budget and missing your original release target was surely inevitable, and understandable, but going so far over budget and over time that you'd have to cut the game by three-quarters is nuts.

As for releasing the game in parts, I've certainly got no problems with episodic games (I loved the ones Telltale used to make back in 2006-2010); however, if you're really depending on the sales of part one to finance the rest, to me that seems like the result of extremely poor planning - so poor I'd call it unprofessional. It also tells me that there is a small but significant chance we may never see the second half. The only reason I'm not really upset about this is that I was only ever in for $15, so my investment is pretty negligible.

I hope it all works out fine, and it might, but this situation never should have come up at all.

How will this work for the backers? Do we get a steam key for the early access so we can play it or do we have to pay for it again?

Either way i'm all for it, especially if it's well done. We have seen episodic games work before. Handle the ending of episode 1 gracefully so that i get the feeling I've played a polished game and not a beta version.

I believe that the people here who complain that Double Fine is breaking the promises from the Kickstarter campaign and thus hurting Kickstarter, are the ones who hurt Kickstarter the most.

As already mentioned in this thread, backing projects on Kickstarter is partronage, not calculated investments. Kickstarter is a place where people who need money for their projects can find supporters that give them resources with no formal strings attached, not a place where anal retentive blokes can fork up $15 and demand the world. The way some people argue on this forum makes them look like mini producers, and having 90 000 angry and controlling producers sounds considerably worse than havning just one.

As people have written a million times already, the documentary and the forums alone are well worth the price of admission, and now it looks like we will actually get a good game out of it, too. I have enjoyed watching the process for more than a year, and will continue to do so to the end. It certainly doesn't looke like it will all go to hell, even though that would be fully acceptable (but certainly depressing).

EDIT: The anal is not supposed to be a swear word, but the equivalent of the word rectum, that fits together with "retentive". Bizarre.

Maybe it's been said before (didn't read all the comments, i'll take my time later) but i would really REALLY like to see a simple list explaining where all the money went.

Let's be honest guys, it came kind of as a shock the first time DF mentioned they were running over budget, but even after the humble bundle etc you STILL don't have enough???

The game is looking great, for sure, but 3mil is a lot of money, and we haven't seen a lot of content. Now this is probably on purpose to avoid spoilers, but still.

It would be really interesting to see in what way budget is spent on a game. Games used to be made for peanuts back in the day, what changed?

Just indulge us and see it as an educational thing m'kay?

is this still about making a game or about making more money?

If you got any knowledge of business you'd know that they go hand in hand.

I'll go with the original thoughts of Greg Rice: it kind of cheapens the product.

Having said that, I'll backed your project, because I think you guys and girls know what's best. So if you think this is the best way to ship the game:

9goc5erd.jpg

Maybe it's been said before (didn't read all the comments, i'll take my time later) but i would really REALLY like to see a simple list explaining where all the money went.

Let's be honest guys, it came kind of as a shock the first time DF mentioned they were running over budget, but even after the humble bundle etc you STILL don't have enough???

The game is looking great, for sure, but 3mil is a lot of money, and we haven't seen a lot of content. Now this is probably on purpose to avoid spoilers, but still.

It would be really interesting to see in what way budget is spent on a game. Games used to be made for peanuts back in the day, what changed?

Just indulge us and see it as an educational thing m'kay?

It would be interesting to see more Financial updates in the "Production Updates" panel here. Monthly reports of where the majority of the money went and so on would probably interest a lot of people.

is this still about making a game or about making more money?

If you got any knowledge of business you'd know that they go hand in hand.

of course, but demanding and not delivering is not the way to go in this case.

what if tim decides in another 6 months that he still hasn't collected enough money?

i "invested" my money into the development of this game, so far i got nothing other than the great documentary (2P did a great job, srsly!), but thats not what i paid for. unfortunately i can't cancel my "investment", its not clear stated where all the money went and there's nobody who can set a deadline or milestones (like a publisher would in this case).

after DF announced another kickstarter project (massive chalice) things doesn't seem so good anymore like they would, if they would focus on finishing one game and starting another later. yeah, DF is a big studio with small teams, yadada, but for me, it seems like they're collecting money to fund all of their projects they're working on and not collecting millions of dollars for finishing one damn 2d adventure.

For my part, I can understand the negativity coming out of this, but I believe patience should be excercised. So far the game is looking top-notch: art-style, effects, game mechanics etc... I don't believe that the rules state that the game must be finished only under the kickstarter budget so Double-Fine should be doing as much as possible to get extra money for the game because they believe that they should hand us, and the world, a quality product.

We backers, kickstarter, slackers and tips, can be proud to claim that we were the ones who got the game off the ground, but it is now Double Fine's job to make sure it lands safely, and as long as they don't demand more from us then I'm fine with that; let them do what it takes to make the game great.

Episodic content never affected Telltale's games, so why should it be different with 'Broken Age'?

Other games like Starcraft 2 were also split, and not to too great a disadvantage.

We all have different expectations of what we should get from this and naturally when they're not met, people get angry. But I still believe double fine will make a great game that is totally unique from anything that has come before, and if that requires a few mess ups and management problems, then so be it. I would rather it this way and get a great game than the other option and get a generic, mediocre or bad game.

Hopefully the 2PP episodes can be more timely in future, and if the decision to split Broken Age into two goes ahead; it would be nice if 2PP could release bonus episodes with Part 1 Spoiler content -after its release of course- while we wait for Part 2.

If it does become two parts, I know I'll be playing Part 1 over and over and over and over again. :-)

I'll go with the original thoughts of Greg Rice: it kind of cheapens the product.

Having said that, I'll backed your project, because I think you guys and girls know what's best. So if you think this is the best way to ship the game:

9goc5erd.jpg

Lol! Love it!

I appreciate the open communication, but I am annoyed that a supposed veteran of the video game world could screw up design this badly! You have a budget, design around the budget how is it this hard?

To the person who quoted my statement that I only paid $15: For heaven's sake, really? Are you really going to focus on that? Is how much money you put into the project some kind of gauge for what you're able to say? This isn't about me. I don't feel owed anything. What I do feel is that there's a lot of hype for this, people expect a lot out of this and people have the right to expect a lot out of this. The game looks absolutely gorgeous from what I've seen, but the planning problems being as severe as they are is deeply disappointing and is likely to create problems for the project, the company, and the company's public image.

The way some people argue on this forum makes them look like mini producers, and having 90 000 angry and controlling producers sounds considerably worse than havning just one.

Well said, +1.

Well I'll put it this way - I backed a game* in 2003 (yes, about a decade ago), way before any of this Kickstarter stuff really got going. I eventually got the game almost nine years later. But it was worth it. And yes, I understand that reality sometimes gets in the way of ambition (although I still boggle at the idea that ten times the original budget isn't even close to being enough) and I'm quite willing to wait for the end result however long it takes because I have confidence in what I can see. But please don't compromise too much.

*Cliff Johnson's The Fool and His Money. If you like puzzles, this is the real deal.

Sign in to follow this