Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 10: Part One of Something Great

Finally, it's here!

Hopefully the delay was worth it, because this extra-meaty episode (gross) contains some of the most significant developments about Broken Age to date.

In fact, Tim explained the latest news himself. You should read that now if you haven't, then come back and watch the episode.

All caught up? Okay, good! Here we go!

[vimeo]69527676[/vimeo]

Ok, vimeo is acting up, streaming stops abruptly and at some point the video. Now it doesn't load...

Just what I needed.

In the part where you show of the reflective floor, it looks like Shae(?) is holding one foot up in the air.

Haven't watched it yet because of the Sun-glassed super sexy skinny-Schafer soul patch.

Thanks 2PP and DF.

Really fascinating episode - great to see behind the curtain and the reality of the game development process.

Have to say I agree with the decisions. I'd rather have people have more ways to get into Tim's vision for the game, and see his design fully realised, than to have to make cuts and rush something out the door in order to meet a development schedule (within reason). How many times have we played games that showed great promise and then you can feel the moneyman's hand reach in and shut it all down?

*Re-posted from another thread because I feel it's important.

I have HUGE issues with this...

If you're planning to separate the arc of Broken Age into two acts; take the bold step and separate them as two different games! Refine the the narrative so that Broken Age: Act I feels like its own entity. Treat them as two different products and not just a lopped off limb!

You can make two really elegant experiences instead of a partly finished game with its tacked on cousin. This is such a messaging nightmare. Greg was right. This is going to diminish the overall product, DoubleFine, and the idea of crowd-funding in general. Neogaf is going to have a field day with this!

The release should be...

Broken Age: Act I

Broken Age: Act II

...Not part one and part two...

From a spectators perspective the documentary alone was worth the investment. The current status of Broken Age looks far enough along that you can legitimately say you made one hell of a game, Act I.

Make us buy Act II.

Hello all. I was a backer way back in the beginning. I haven't been able to watch any videos because of the vimeo / private issues. This video doesn't even play for me. Is there any way to get them to play?

I can sign in to vimeo and this site (obviously), but still haven't seen any vids.

Thanks for any help or ideas!

This sounds like the right plan to achieve your vision and ultimately that is what people backed.

It might be worth telling people just how long (people days) it took to develop DOTT and Grim Fandango to provide some perspective.

I think many will be disappointed and unfortunately this is one situation where being public about it loses an opportunity for marketing. From previous updates the suggestion was that cloud colony was being taken to alpha soon or may already be there - could this not be an even earlier "episode 1"? Had this not been so public you could have changed the original pitch to "with more money we will deliver more episodes".

You talk about a 2 part game as an issue but from what I've seen the market as a whole does not mind them provided they are engaging (just look at Telltale).

My thoughts:

- bring cloud colony to early access beta as episode 1

- release the next episode as soon as it's available (this may still be January)

- tie it together with an episode 3 around April/May

This way you leave the door open if the brand/franchise takes off and you can bring more to the audience rather than less.

Oh and separately, you still haven't capitalised on your Middle Manager of Justice product by porting to android, which may provide some options.

I really hate when the soundtrack starts - it means the episode is getting to the end :(

Great Episode! I am finding it a bit odd that part 1 will come in January and the rest will come only 3 months later (will it be possible to finish the other half of the game in 3 months?)

I don't think you should read Tim's message before you watch the episode -- it's WAY more exciting and enjoyable to watch the episode first.

Speaking of which: Awesome episode.

I guess this is where we're at. Bring on Part One! (Two parts for the game seems oddly poetic and apt, although I'm sure I'm not the first to notice that.)

I really hate when the soundtrack starts - it means the episode is getting to the end :(

Great Episode! I am finding it a bit odd that part 1 will come in January and the rest will come only 3 months later (will it be possible to finish the other half of the game in 3 months?)

The "Where is episode 11?" posts begin.

I'm guessing they're going to continue production on Part 2 while they're finishing Part 1, betting the proverbial farm that Part 1 will sell enough to cover their costs. Who knows, but I'm not complaining :)

As much as i want the best game Posible to be made this makes me sad because there is Financial Risk for the Studio. I Hope they Still make a Profit in the end that Alows them to develop their next game out of their own Pocket.

On the Other Hand i have to say i Love the First Moments of Gameplay. It Looks Even better than in the teaser.

Great episode! Dividing the release to two parts sounds like a great plan! All for it :)

Another amazing.

Yeah off with that beard and some weights, its amazing how it can make you look 20 years younger. :)

The game looks amazing, i must say, this really takes me back to the old adventure games from Tim, Ron and Lucas Arts. The art style, does not disappoint. The lighting and such is just amazing.

I hope this game can live up to the legacy of interactivity or whatever you call it.

Like say the difference between many modern adventure games and Lucas Arts ones, is how the game was less static, characters would move around, do absurd motions when building stuff. jumping out windows, eyes poping out of head. Compared to modern game adventure games like Telltale, where everything is very static and somewhat boring if you ask me.

But maybe its just a 3D limitation compared to the 2D i dont know.

I do like the whole Doors opening and how light effect characters, that at least gives me a bit hope. stuff like that makes the world seem more alive.

When I think of a cut down game I think of Full Throttle. I dunno if it was actually cut down but it felt like it was too short and it resolved a bit too quickly. So, if Broken Age has to be broken into two parts so that the whole story can be told then yeah, I'm supportive of that.

One thing though. If the two parts sell well can we get a version that is just one single game? When I decide to play Broken Age again in 2024, it'd be nice to have it all wrapped up in a single experience.

When I think of a cut down game I think of Full Throttle. I dunno if it was actually cut down but it felt like it was too short and it resolved a bit too quickly. So, if Broken Age has to be broken into two parts so that the whole story can be told then yeah, I'm supportive of that.

One thing though. If the two parts sell well can we get a version that is just one single game? When I decide to play Broken Age again in 2024, it'd be nice to have it all wrapped up in a single experience.

Yeah its funny i always felt that way as well.

I mean its a great freaking game. But yeah it feels like it would have been nice with more content involving the gang at the start, more with moreen..

Just sad, but thats how it goes sometimes.

Sign in to follow this