Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 10: Part One of Something Great

When I think of a cut down game I think of Full Throttle. I dunno if it was actually cut down but it felt like it was too short and it resolved a bit too quickly. So, if Broken Age has to be broken into two parts so that the whole story can be told then yeah, I'm supportive of that.

One thing though. If the two parts sell well can we get a version that is just one single game? When I decide to play Broken Age again in 2024, it'd be nice to have it all wrapped up in a single experience.

The release plan says the second part of the game will come in an update. I think that means it will automatically make it all one game.

After Greg "The Iron Giant" talked about Iron Brigade and the Microsoft jerk it made me hate Microsoft that little bit more.

Wold love to see Broken Age as a PS4 next gen exclusive. ;)

wow...

I'm for it.

You should spend a lot of time, though, making sure this doesn't confuse people who don't know what this is when it comes out. Steam pre-whatever makes it clear, but that means it's only going to be sold on Steam. Does steam alone have enough potential adventure game buyers that haven't backed the game already?

I think with the right hype and PR, stressing that "this is the poster child of KSed games" will help this get there.

I believe.

But...

What happens if this doesn't make enough money out the door?

I can see now why publishers won't touch the company anymore.
They just released a game with SEGA a couple months back...

The Steam Early Access is a good idea. I'd hate to think we're missing out on all kinds of awesome stuff Tim designed for the game that we'll never get to see. So anything you guys do to avoid cutting content (apart from going to a publisher, of course), is fine with me.

Going to watch this episode shortly. I always enjoy them.

I wonder though if Massive Chalice is going to run into these kind of scope problems? It only got about a third of the money that Broken Age did....

My guess is that Brad is more used of thinking within a certain scope of possibilities than Tim is. So I don't think the poblems with Broken Age say much about Massive Chalice at all. Obviously Double Fine can get games out on time and budget. See Costume Quest, which came out a year after Brütal Legend and just right before Halloween.

In other words: it's all Tim's fault. ;) He does the right thing, nevertheless.

When I think of a cut down game I think of Full Throttle. I dunno if it was actually cut down but it felt like it was too short and it resolved a bit too quickly. So, if Broken Age has to be broken into two parts so that the whole story can be told then yeah, I'm supportive of that.

One thing though. If the two parts sell well can we get a version that is just one single game? When I decide to play Broken Age again in 2024, it'd be nice to have it all wrapped up in a single experience.

Yeah its funny i always felt that way as well.

I mean its a great freaking game. But yeah it feels like it would have been nice with more content involving the gang at the start, more with moreen..

Just sad, but thats how it goes sometimes.

Just goes to show that a game can still be great with budget and time restraints. Full Throttle is one of my favorite adventures ever released, hell, I even bought the "Gone Jackals" CD soundtrack from it. Yeah, it's possible it could have been better, but what was delivered was truly amazing. If this game ever ends up getting released, I hope they do more adventure games. Episodic adventure games, so they could possibly finish them in a reasonable amount of time.

My guess is that Brad is more used of thinking within a certain scope of possibilities than Tim is. So I don't think the poblems with Broken Age say much about Massive Chalice at all. Obviously Double Fine can get games out on time and budget. See Costume Quest, which came out a year after Brütal Legend and just right before Halloween.

In other words: it's all Tim's fault. ;) He does the right thing, nevertheless.

The other thing with Massive Chalice is that they're not having to build a whole new toolchain for development, which was the big time sink at the start of the project. They're working with their engine that they've had years of experience using, and a very mature set of tools, which means they should be able to get stuck into development much faster.

I can see now why publishers won't touch the company anymore.

What do you mean? DoubleFine is the one CHOOSING to self-publish.

Just goes to show that a game can still be great with budget and time restraints. Full Throttle is one of my favorite adventures ever released, hell, I even bought the "Gone Jackals" CD soundtrack from it. Yeah, it's possible it could have been better, but what was delivered was truly amazing. If this game ever ends up getting released, I hope they do more adventure games. Episodic adventure games, so they could possibly finish them in a reasonable amount of time.

Yeah, I also bought the CD. One of my favorite adventures - but definitely too short.

Hey everyone, first post here.

Episode was great, and I really do hope that the final game will be available in it's whole instead of buying it in two separate parts.

Thanks for a new episode *high5* to 2PP.

This is the drama and reality projects have. You think of something, you scope it once. Then reality hits you in the head and you have to deal with it. There's always some one getting sad or stuff needing to be cut to make things work. It's a balancing act and you need to do what you have to keep it afloat. I get that Tim got into his world and made something really great. He needs his stuff reviewed to work with the course the arrow and flow of the hole project. It's a challenge to make things work just right with in the frame of time and money.

It's still great, I hope you make the best of it. Just be transparent as you are with everything. I'm sure we'll be happy with that extra gravy we get. I do think the 2PP documentary has payed itself. Now we just got to pay for the game as well.

Keep on doing what you guys do best! I'll be watching and rooting for you all!

The gameplay footage looks amazing, hopefully making those areas has developed the pipeline into the fine tuned beast its going to need to be to hit the deadline. The lighting is really awesome for 2D art, has me thinking about how to program something similar.

Steam Early Access makes sense, Prison Architect is apparently Introversion's most financially successful game ever and it is still a ways from release and Don't Starve did well too. I know there is a ton of people who either didn't hear about the Kickstarter till it was over or people who want something playable before they are willing to put down money so I bet there is some decent funding to be had through this route. Early access games I have seen so far have focused on systemic replayable gameplay which is the opposite of an adventure game but if this first half feels like a finished game then you could change people's views on what an early access game is, I mean there isn't a good reason why Kentucky Route Zero isn't an Early Access game.

Massive Chalice would probably make a really good Early Access game even as early as Alpha.

Broken Age isn't the name of a game, that's what they call Tim's Barracuda...

We've all been duped! ;)

Either that or now his daughter isn't going to college.

I kid because I love.

They're working with their engine that they've had years of experience using, and a very mature set of tools, which means they should be able to get stuck into development much faster.

Yah, how come BA didn't use their existing 3D engine? Maybe due to the unique qualities of an adventure game (dialog trees, point/click, etc.)? The Cave was a fantastic "2D" experience.

Hmmm…ok. Nice episode…but…

Why am I feeling a little torn, a teeny bit duped and quite frustrated? No, I’m not a publisher, but I do work in the games industry, in development so I totally understand the situation. I’m also a designer / writer / creative type person and if I wasn’t working on an awesome game right now, I would offer up my services for free.

What I’m struggling with is this… You asked for around $400k initially. If you had only raised that much what would’ve happened? But you got over 3 million dollars. 3 million dollars. Sorry, I thought it was worth repeating. You’ve been making games for years – you know how much stuff costs and so do some of us (your backers). I think, this is why I feel the way I do.

The work you guys do is awesome and you have a lot of respect out here, but I feel you might be skating on thin ice. Tim, stop spending piles of money on fancy cars, sit down and the write the damn script and design. It was a great analogy, but possibly the wrong message. Can you see what we’re seeing here?

If you walked into a store and bought a muffin, paid the full amount, but they sliced it in half before handing it to you, surely you’d question that, right? However, if the muffin was whole, a little smaller, tasted really awesome, maybe with lemon drizzle in the center, soft, warm sponge…sorry…sorry I digress, where was I…oh yeah…I wouldn’t question it. I’d go back the next day and buy another. You’ve basically told me I’m only going to get half of what I paid for and the other half several months later. I’m not sure how the second half will taste a few months down the line.

You guys should perhaps listen to Greg (go Greg…yay!). I seem to remember he flagged scheduling issues a few episodes ago too?

Anyway…let me have part 1. It really does look great so far and I’m sure it’ll be awesome (btw – I’m expecting to play this first half on my iPad – not PC / steam). And I’m perfectly happy to buy part 2 if part 1 has Lemon Drizzle in the middle ;)

Good luck guys. Don’t stand still...keep skating.

They're working with their engine that they've had years of experience using, and a very mature set of tools, which means they should be able to get stuck into development much faster.

Yah, how come BA didn't use their existing 3D engine? Maybe due to the unique qualities of an adventure game (dialog trees, point/click, etc.)? The Cave was a fantastic "2D" experience.

They would have had to port the engine over to work with iOS/Android etc, which would have cost more time and more money.

Puhh, this episode felt partly like a minefield, whenever there seemed to be new game content shown (?) or there was some talk about it, i instantly had to cover the appropriate parts with my hands and sing loudly in order not to spoil anything, and this whilst i already was in passive mode. In this video i evolved a sympathy for Greg, i think i know how he felt. Last but not least, wasn't this the room where Schafer and Gilbert once had their initial adventure meeting too?

Great episode, i like problems, and more i like solving them or if others can do so.

I hope that someone like me who won't play the game until it'll be really finished, won't recognise the cut or exerience some superfluous cliffhanger then. The final game shouldn't feel like playing all the episodes of a TTG season at one time, please that often was a rather awful experience.

I would prefer that the final game also just feels like one game.

I think you guys have a solid plan. If you make a part one with a cliff hanger where I care about what happens I'll back the Kickstarter for Adventure 2 as well!

I'm quite happy with the compromise to split the game in 2, even with it taking longer. I'm just happy Tim & the team can make the game they want without having to cut tons and tons of content out just to make it come out this year.

Great episode too.

Hmmm…ok. Nice episode…but…

Why am I feeling a little torn, a teeny bit duped and quite frustrated? No, I’m not a publisher, but I do work in the games industry, in development so I totally understand the situation. I’m also a designer / writer / creative type person and if I wasn’t working on an awesome game right now, I would offer up my services for free.

What I’m struggling with is this… You asked for around $400k initially. If you had only raised that much what would’ve happened? But you got over 3 million dollars. 3 million dollars. Sorry, I thought it was worth repeating. You’ve been making games for years – you know how much stuff costs and so do some of us (your backers). I think, this is why I feel the way I do.

The work you guys do is awesome and you have a lot of respect out here, but I feel you might be skating on thin ice. Tim, stop spending piles of money on fancy cars, sit down and the write the damn script and design. It was a great analogy, but possibly the wrong message. Can you see what we’re seeing here?

If you walked into a store and bought a muffin, paid the full amount, but they sliced it in half before handing it to you, surely you’d question that, right? However, if the muffin was whole, a little smaller, tasted really awesome, maybe with lemon drizzle in the center, soft, warm sponge…sorry…sorry I digress, where was I…oh yeah…I wouldn’t question it. I’d go back the next day and buy another. You’ve basically told me I’m only going to get half of what I paid for and the other half several months later. I’m not sure how the second half will taste a few months down the line.

You guys should perhaps listen to Greg (go Greg…yay!). I seem to remember he flagged scheduling issues a few episodes ago too?

Anyway…let me have part 1. It really does look great so far and I’m sure it’ll be awesome (btw – I’m expecting to play this first half on my iPad – not PC / steam). And I’m perfectly happy to buy part 2 if part 1 has Lemon Drizzle in the middle ;)

Good luck guys. Don’t stand still...keep skating.

You claim to be a writer, but you apparently aren't a good listener. The initial vision of the game was much smaller. It was because of the massive amount of money they got that decided to go bigger.

And Tim can do whatever he wants with his money. Regardless of what you might have going on in your head, Double Fine has been around for years and has more project than just this one. He is not only getting paid for the work he is doing now, but the work he did in the past.

And maybe you somehow missed it, but did you see the pages and pages of dialogue that he has? And that it isn't just in paragraphs but set up to go directly into the game? Did you also miss the part where he said that design is 100% done?

And you muffin analogy doesn't fit. In a store, the muffin is already made. The work has been done. If you tried to buy it and they cut it in half, that wouldn't make any sense. But this was something backed via kickstarter. We backed knowing full well that we could potentially not get anything other than a documentary showing Double Fine's complete failure. But we aren't. We've gotten a fantastic view behind the scenes, and we are also getting a game (that looks great at this point). But because the scope of the game is so much greater than what was originally planned, we are getting Act I while they finish Act 2. You know, sort of like that Walking Dead game that was absolutely fantastic.

I am entirely supportive of breaking up the game into two halves if that's what it takes to get it done. When the idea of an episodic game was brought forward, I was immediately apprehensive. I assumed there would be two games, two executables, two completely separate entities, as TellTale, for instance handles their games and which I hate. It was a pretty big relief to read in Tim's post that the second half would, in fact, be an update to the first and by the end of it, there would be a single whole title. With that clarified, all apprehension has been eased. I am all for it. Have at it.

I do still have a little bit of a worry regarding Steam Early Access, since it's still new territory in many ways. I have absolutely no issue with the game going that route. I just hope it doesn't come up short of expectation and end up solving nothing at all. So fingers crossed on that.

Major props to Lydia Choy! She brings everything to life.

Any chance of a sidequest with her 2PP?

I am entirely supportive of breaking up the game into two halves if that's what it takes to get it done. When the idea of an episodic game was brought forward, I was immediately apprehensive. I assumed there would be two games, two executables, two completely separate entities, as TellTale, for instance handles their games and which I hate. It was a pretty big relief to read in Tim's post that the second half would, in fact, be an update to the first and by the end of it, there would be a single whole title. With that clarified, all apprehension has been eased. I am all for it. Have at it.

I do still have a little bit of a worry regarding Steam Early Access, since it's still new territory in many ways. I have absolutely no issue with the game going that route. I just hope it doesn't come up short of expectation and end up solving nothing at all. So fingers crossed on that.

While many previous Telltale games did this, like Back to the Future; The Walking Dead was done differently in that it was a single game that was updated as new content was released, and it worked wonderfully.

Heh, I love the meaningful dialog from the mystically wise dodgy mechanic. Straight outta video games, that is. Or, maybe, Hot Tub Time Machine.

While many previous Telltale games did this, like Back to the Future; The Walking Dead was done differently in that it was a single game that was updated as new content was released, and it worked wonderfully.

This is a very good point. I actually knew that, because I have it. I just haven't actually gotten around to playing it yet (Humble Bundle). That's definitely the way to go, I think. I hope they continue that way going forward.

DF and 2PP are doing an incredible job IMHO. I am loving every second of the documentary, and I get the impression that every single person who works on the project is committed and cares endlessly about it.

I think the two parts solution is brilliant, because anything else would force you to do cuts and the backers to imagine all the things the game "might have been".

"It's all happening!"

This is a very good point. I actually knew that, because I have it. I just haven't actually gotten around to playing it yet (Humble Bundle). That's definitely the way to go, I think. I hope they continue that way going forward.

I imagine they probably will. While the primary reason for doing it was probably so that your progress could carry over more easily, I'm betting it worked out well knowing that they only had 1 product to patch instead of 4 or 5. And you should give it a shot, it was fantastic. One of the best games I've played in recent memory

Sign in to follow this